THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Baikal mp 221 45-70 bore diameter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baikal mp 221 45-70 bore diameter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Good Day All:

Broke my elbow last year in September, had the plate and six screws removed last week and now on the mend.

Can't shoot but I can still look and touch and slug barrels.

So I'm killing time and figured I'd finally slug the bores on my Baikal sxs in 45-70. Turns out both barrels come in at .456" land to land and .450" groove to groove. When running the slugs down from the breach, I needed to tap the rod with a hammer for approximately the first eight inches; after that, I could push the rod and slug out of the rest of the bore with moderate hand force.

Have a friend casting some 350 grain flat nose round point bullets. Going to have them sized to .458".

Anybody else slug their bores and what did you get.

Kind regards,

carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
Good Day All:

Broke my elbow last year in September, had the plate and six screws removed last week and now on the mend.

Can't shoot but I can still look and touch and slug barrels.

So I'm killing time and figured I'd finally slug the bores on my Baikal sxs in 45-70. Turns out both barrels come in at .456" land to land and .450" groove to groove. When running the slugs down from the breach, I needed to tap the rod with a hammer for approximately the first eight inches; after that, I could push the rod and slug out of the rest of the bore with moderate hand force.

Have a friend casting some 350 grain flat nose round point bullets. Going to have them sized to .458".

Anybody else slug their bores and what did you get.

Kind regards,

carpediem

.456 is proper for a .458 bullet with a cup and core bullet or a lead cast bullet to assure a pressure fit negating blow by!

................................................................... patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Listen to MAC. He knows his stuff.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote