New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450 class double optics?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wondering about having optics fitted (and regulated) with my bradshaw .450ne. Eye relief is of corse a consern, solved by red dot sights. But magnification would be nice for spotting etc as well. Also would the stock have to be made higher so I would not have to lift my head a little when aiming?

Swarovski 1-6x22 EXtended eye relief ?
Any thoughts and experiences?

I know it's ugly, but the old hunters used optics no? So not so untraditional as one may think?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looked at a 1-6x EE yesterday. I liked it very much. Looking at for my 375Flanged Mag double.

Good luck.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1947 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't laugh but I have been thinking about Aimpoint M3 or M4 in qd mounts. Have extensive experience with those from before... Not uglier than scopes?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Aimpoints as well. They seem more durable that holo sights.

Posts: 20149 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The old hunters did not use scopes; none were made well enough, and real men did not use scopes back then. I had a 1-4x Leupold on my 450 NE Searcy; no problems. You have 3-4 inches of eye relief which is enough unless you get too close to the scope; something you will only do once. Yes, you will have to lift your head a bit, just like any other rifle, going from irons to glass.

Posts: 17200 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 2.5 x 20 mm. Weighs only 6.5 oz and has almost 5 inches of eye relief. It is plenty of scope for a big double and can be shot with both eyes open. I have one on my 450-400 and it has performed well thus far. I like the fixed power for ruggedness.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
Swarovski 1-6x22 EXtended eye relief ?
Any thoughts and experiences?

Own Z6i 1-6EE Swaro and Z6i 1.7-10
2 different rifles ,
love both
also use Doctor optic on both for close work

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote