THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Merkel m141.1 barrel adjustment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel m141.1 barrel adjustment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't seen much information about the Merkel 141.1 sxs rifle. I believe there is a barrel adjustment feature on this model and would like to hear from anyone who may have some experience using it.

Is this a devise that the owner uses to adjust for different loads or changes due to adding a scope sight? Or does it require a factory trip to be re- regulated? I can see the two holes on the muzzle end and assume they are the access point for adjustment. If so, is it a robust system?

These look to be pretty nice rifles at a fairly reasonable price point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted the same question several months ago and was gratified to receive a link to the Merkel instructions on the use of this feature from another poster here. It took a bit of fiddling on my part, but I was able to produce two-barrel composite groups virtually indistinguishable from single-barrel groups. The feature is designed to move the impact points of both barrels together, thus allowing you to use the load of your choice rather than the load chosen by the factory regulators. It works very well.

I have the printed directions at home, but won't be back for several days. If no-one else has provided a link to you by that time, I'll scan it and send it to you.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've got if you'll p.m. me your email.

I got my Merkel 141(e) to shoot as well as 90% or single barrel rifles.... less than 2" at 100 yards. I killed several PG species at 200+ yards, no sweat. With the right barrel having a set trigger, if you wish, you'll be amazed at the accuracy you'll get.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Set trigger??!!! Eeker

Is there a set trigger available?

I bought my gun used...it never even occurred to me that one of the triggers might be a set type! I know what I'll be checking into as soon as I get home! Thanks for the heads-up, JudgeG.

Please pardon the highjack.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Set trigger??!!! Eeker

Is there a set trigger available?

I bought my gun used...it never even occurred to me that one of the triggers might be a set type! I know what I'll be checking into as soon as I get home! Thanks for the heads-up, JudgeG.

Please pardon the highjack.

jwm, all Merkel double rifle 9.3X74R and smaller have a set trigger on the right barrel, and it comes standard. The (E)Stands for selective ejectors and most have that as well, but it is an option. The one thing that comes standard that is not good is an auto safety that goes to "ON" if opened for any reason. The larger Merkels have manual safeties which is much better, but the auto feature in the smaller rifles can be disabled quite easily.

............................................................................ coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Don't go to the trouble to send me anything yet. If I buy one of these rifles I imagine the info will be included. If not I'll yell for help.

Are any special tools required for barrel adjustment? I think I have most of the common metric allen wrench sizes.

The pictures that I have found show a scope mounting block at the breech end of the quarter rib. Can you tell me what type of mount the Merkels are set up for?

Again, thanks for the help. I haven't found much on-line about the small frame Merkel.

I'm glad I asked the questions. JWM came away with a bonus set trigger!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woo Hoo!!! I did indeed end up with a set trigger! What a nice surprise...I am a fan of set triggers, and having one on this gun will be a wonderful treat.

Thanks, MACD, for bringing up this question...thanks, JudgeG for waking me up to this feature...and thank you as well, Mac, for your information in this and other threads. My gun has extractors only, which is fine by me, and it has had the auto safety disabled already. It's just a .30-06, and serves me well for deer as is. I have both barrels crossing at 100 yards now...but the accuracy is such that I intend to play with the adjustment, and perhaps the load as well, to make the barrels shoot completely parallel and thereby increase my effective range. You explained this idea in another thread, Mac...it was one in which shootaway was acting up, although that doesn't really narrow the field too much...and I am looking forward to creating a 200- or even 300-yard double rifle.

MACD, buy that gun! It's a very cool little rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:

The pictures that I have found show a scope mounting block at the breech end of the quarter rib. Can you tell me what type of mount the Merkels are set up for?

I'm also very curious about this. Anyone with some info?