THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    quality of FC scott doubles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

quality of FC scott doubles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted
Could the experienced double owners let a novice know their opinions re FC Scott as a make r of double rifles? Is this a first rate maker? what others does he compare to? I am looking at a vintage 475 no 2 for a first double

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If 475 No 2, likely a reloading proposition.

A great calibre but few made in it and
would want to be cheaper due to the calibre.
Not the most popular one around.

Any further info on the gun ?
Boxlock, picture ????

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Emron,

I handled this gun. It's a tired gun that is overpriced for it's condition. The best deals to be had today in a nice vintage English gun are in a 450/400. Nice ones can be picked up for 19k+-

You are going to pay into the mid 20's or higher for a 450-475.

Keep looking, they are out there. Be sure before you buy one you have it properly vetted by someone like JJ.

Good luck

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, 470 Evans. I will keep looking.JJ has a Jeffrey 475 no 2, but is asking 33K. I would be babying something like that and worrying about every scratch. Plus I would have to sell my firstborn to afford it! I may go for a continental double, ie Krieghoff in 500/416 and graduate to a vintage english double later.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
If I was interested in a continental double I would speak with George about this one:
http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1546

Or Cabelas about this one:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...sp?hierarchyId=10473

Or see if I could talk Kevin down into the high 20s on this one:
http://www.westleyrichards.com...product.php?id=26177

They have had it a while and I think it's 7-8k over market but Wilkes built a good gun. George had one in 470 that was twin to this one that went in the high 20s a few months back.

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Very, very helpful of you, 470 Evans. Thank you very much. In your opinion, how do continental doubles (francotte, chapuis, dumoulin etc) compare to vintage english doubles? I really like the (pictures of) the Francotte on the link you sent. next step is to handle it. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who post on this site that has a vintage Francotte 470 built in 1926 if I remember correctly. I have shot and handled his gun and it is a great rifle. He posts under 577NitroExpress. Why don't you send him a pm and he can fill you in on the details.

The older Francottes are in a much higher league than the Chapuis, etc, in my opinion but they also cost twice as much or more so they should be. Depending on the individual gun they can be as nice as the nicest vintage English guns.

I like the English guns but would have no hesitation with a Francotte. In today's market they can be a better value. I think the modern gun that offers the best "value" for the $ is a Heym. Others may disagree but compared to the other under 20k rifles they are the best of the bunch.

Best thing to do is handle as many different doubles as you can. Ask good questions, have JJ inspect the gun, a requirement if it's a vintage gun, and buy the one you like best.
470s or 450 3 1/4s are the easiest because of available ammo but I load for all my doubes so I'm more interested in the individual gun and buy it if I like it.

Looking and buying your first double is a lot of fun, don't rush it. You'll learn a lot and get great advice from some posters here.