THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    German Sporting Cartridges ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German Sporting Cartridges ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know if there a book on the German sporting cartridge?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
big, on "only" German sporting cartridges? I'm unaware of one...and would enjoy having one if there is such a beast. Cartridges of the World has quite a few and from what I have seen others post evidently W.B. Dixon's also does. I think Dixon's book is "European Sporting Cartridges" and I've been unable to find a copy.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
How about Cartridges of the World?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dixons "European sporting cartridges" the Bible.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Dixon (volume 1) is by far the most comprehensive on German cartridges, though unfortunately it's out of print I believe. Another good reference with a particularly strong emphasis on Africa, though not specifically German cartridges, is John Taylor's wonderful classic volume "African Rifles and Cartridges" (ISBN 0-88227-013-3 in the 1977 reprint edition) which is always available. Lots of good material on the most-used German (and British) cartridges in Africa before WWII and just generally a must-have for your library.

Posts: 970 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 X 75R:
big, on "only" German sporting cartridges? I'm unaware of one....

I'm not aware of one either, but some of the German cartridges from 9,3MM down are some of my all time favorites. I have several bolt rifles, cape guns, an double rifles in that range and every one is German in origin.
One of my favorite firearms is my little H. Berella cape gun chambered for 8X57JR on the right and 16 ga on the left barrel.
I too would like to have a copy of any book that anyone is aware of the deals with German cartridges.

..................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a volume of Dixon's since my original post on the 19th and so far have been unsuccessful.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
George Hoyem of Armoury publications did a volume on European sporting cartridges. May be useful.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The two volumes put out by Armory Publications are:

"Eupopean Sporting Cartridges" vol 1, 1997, ISBN 0-939683-10-5

"European Sporting Cartridges" vol 2, 2000, ISBN 0-939683-18-0

Both are written by W.B "Brad" Dixon

Volume 1 covers German and Austrian sporting centerfire ammunition from 1870-1995

Volume 2 covers Continental (other than German and Austrian) from 1870-1998, but it also has several addenda and corrections for volume 1 and is well worth having too.

These volumes are more reference and cataloging books than ballistical or hunting works. There's lots of data on dimensions, historical development, years of production by manufacturer and that sort of thing, but almost nothing on original loads, bullet weights or typical usage. Don't get me wrong, they're absolutely priceless; just wanted to be clear on what's in them. Unfortunately I don't believe either is still in print.

Posts: 970 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote