Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari twice calibre double
 Login/Join

posted
Heym offers their mod 88 BS-Safari with two caliber combo or "Safari BergStutzen".

In my years hunting small and medium with my 9,3x74R double I have often been thinking a smaller first shot, and a second bigger if needed, would been perfect.

What do you experienced africa-hunters think about this? Hunting buffalo and elephant you also want to take plane games when coming up. And for use up in north for moose and bears, mediumbore first shot and a bigbore following up would'nt be wrong eighter.

What about calibers? Lets focus flanged. 9,3x74R-450/400, 450/400-450NE, 500/416-470, 375FL-500NE??

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Islander that wouldn't be a choice of mine but it would work I suppose! Cape guns with a shot barrel on one side, and a rifle barrel on the other have been used around the Cape Of Good Hope since the settlers came there. I have a couple of these myself, and use them a lot.

However, I think a better idea would be a rifle drilling, with two barrels side by side with the large chambering like a 450NE 3 1/4", and a centrally located single barrel on the bottom for something like a 7mm or 300 flanged.

The reason I say this is, when shooting an animal that calls for a big bore cartridge, I want a one, two punch with that chambering. Still with the drilling if a light shot was called for, the 7MM/300 could be used for the initial shot, with two big bores to back it up, if the little 7mm, or 300 didn't do the trick! thumb

What do you think? Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can see the problem of charging buff and more than one calibre around the waist going into the wrong chambers...

The "Safaridrilling" you are talking about would be something, but at added weight, cost and regulation problems.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Islander:
Can see the problem of charging buff and more than one calibre around the waist going into the wrong chambers...

The "Safaridrilling" you are talking about would be something, but at added weight, cost and regulation problems.

That is why I'd rather have a double rifle drilling, with the two top barrels useing the larger chambering! It would work exactly like any other double rifle, with the small chambering on the bottom between the barrels, one must switch to the bottom barrel before it can be fired. So for all practical purposes what you have is a side by side double rifle, with a auxilary small chambering to use for special purposes, but is out of the way of your stopping rifle, usless needed!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
merkel offers a special drilling with two different rifle calibers and a shot barrel.

but at this time they don't offer it in anything bigger than 9,3 x 74 r.

i do agree with MAC a double rifle drilling is the answer.

and for about 650 euro you can get an 'EINSTECKLAUF" ( INSERT BARREL) in a rifle caliber for the shotgun barrel. dancing

properly installed the insert barrel is adjusted to the sights or scope.

CLEVER THOSE GERMANS !

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen - your prayers may have already been answered!

http://www.krieghoff.co.uk/60.html

Pop in the Einstecklauf in the calibre of your choice......

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote