THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Need help From Double Gun Gurus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help From Double Gun Gurus
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While browsing Guns International for a smaller caliber double I ran across an add for a Vierordt double in 7.7x62r. This maker is totally unknown to me and I have never heard of this caliber, although it sounds kind of similar to the 303 British. Can anyone shed any light on the maker and the caliber?

Posts: 32 | Location: Baton Rouge, La | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vierordt

Don't know much about them. They use a Kersten double bolt system if I am spelling that correctly. Not particularly common I am told. The 7.7 is part of the measurement system used where the distance between the lands is measured not the actual groove diameter. An example is the .303 British which is .312 bore. The 7.7 is probably an 8mm but wether it is .318 or .323 or??? is hard to say. Many makers had proprietary cartridges.

Hope this helps.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Agree with drhall--

Possibly a 8x62R Vierordt -Circa 1905

Based off the .360 Express case

Bore diameter stamps might range from 7.6 to 7.9--
Typically 7.7 or 7.8

Belgian, Austrian or German proofs?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any older European double, regardless of maker should be slugged and measured..I have seen English 450-400s and other calibers with lots of variation..450-400s from 406,.408, 410, and .411 and one at .412.5, and a chamber cast is a good idea also..None of this is a problem if your aware and load accordingly..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Any older European double, regardless of maker should be slugged and measured..I have seen English 450-400s and other calibers with lots of variation..450-400s from 406,.408, 410, and .411 and one at .412.5, and a chamber cast is a good idea also..None of this is a problem if your aware and load accordingly..

Ray is correct about the different bore sizes in the 450/400, both the 3 inch and 3,25 inch versions.
Having said that, there is one other thing with the two different 450-400 rifles one needs to check out.

The 450-400NE 3 inch was never loaded with black powder, but the 450-400 3.25 inch version started life as a black powder cartridge and when it was later offered with cordite the case was not changed. That means the black powder rifles cane be mistakenly shot with the nitro cartridges. So, any 3.25 450-400 rifle should be examined carefully before buying it to make sure it is a Nitro proofed rifle. The 3 inch version, however, was never offered as a black powder rifle so any rifle chambered for the 3 inch cartridge is automatically nitro proofed, but the bore size still needs checking as Ray says.

The 450-400NE 3 inch is one of my all time favorite double rifles. It is a pussy cat to shoot all day long, but works better than it's paper ballistics would suggest! That,IMO, is because it is far easier to shoot accurately
....................................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote