Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for the DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Gents.
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. My shooting background includes hunting game in Alaska, highpower competition and as of 5 yrs ago, long range precision rifle. Now that this awesome place has popped up on my radar apparently a DR is in my future. After lurking and searching for a couple months a few questions are in order.

Can one reload the CEB #13's and closely match the results of the builders regulation, providing the bullets are the same weight?

If one orders a DR from the builder, can you request how tight the regulation grouping is and where the shots impact as far as POA/POI?

Its apparent to me that some DR's print nicely and some are lucky to be in the next ballpark, namely the Sabatti's as seen on the Cabela's site.

I heard or read somewhere that one of the popular builders uses laser bore sighters to regulate their rifles, is there any truth to this and if so, which builder is it?

A big thanks to the folks who started and run this site, its a fantastic source of information and is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time and input.
LX

Posts: 55 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 28 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, welcome to AR. There are a lot of very experienced double rifle (hereafter referred to as a "DR") shooters here, so you came to the right place.

Steer clear of a builder who uses lasers in an attempt to regulate a double rifle. It ignores the effects that recoil and a number of other factors have on the regulation. It's a cheap attempt rather than doing it the right way.

A builder should supply you with a regulation or test target for your build. You should specify what load you'd like the rifle regulated for, and whether you use a "bead on" sight picture, or a 6 o'clock hold.

Others will provide much more information.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LegioX:
Hello Gents.
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. My shooting background includes hunting game in Alaska, highpower competition and as of 5 yrs ago, long range precision rifle. Now that this awesome place has popped up on my radar apparently a DR is in my future. After lurking and searching for a couple months a few questions are in order.

Can one reload the CEB #13's and closely match the results of the builders regulation, providing the bullets are the same weight?
Usually, if you like to experiment you most likely can match or do better than the factory regulation. Some builders will regulate the rifle with a scope on at 100 yards but they charge extra for doing this.

If one orders a DR from the builder, can you request how tight the regulation grouping is and where the shots impact as far as POA/POI?
You can always ask to have it sighted in for a certain range, high, low, etc. If you get lucky they listen to you. But I doubt any builder will grant a request as to regulation size unless you want the rifle to group larger than normal

Its apparent to me that some DR's print nicely and some are lucky to be in the next ballpark, namely the Sabatti's as seen on the Cabela's site. NEVER EVER go by a test target. They mean absolutely nothing.

I heard or read somewhere that one of the popular builders uses laser bore sighters to regulate their rifles, is there any truth to this and if so, which builder is it?

A big thanks to the folks who started and run this site, its a fantastic source of information and is greatly appreciated.
LX

If you want to see examples of a Heym, Searcy, or Chapuis and live close to Eagle River shoot me a PM and you can make arrangements to take a look at mine. Quite a few Alaskans on here who own doubles and bet they make the same offer. If it ever warms up maybe we can have a double Rifle shoot at BirchwoodSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LX
I tried the CEB's in my Searcy and they shot to the exact point of impact as the Barnes TSX and the Woodleigh's with the same load, they were just faster than the other brands.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Hello Gents.

Usually, if you like to experiment you most likely can match or do better than the factory regulation. Some builders will regulate the rifle with a scope on at 100 yards but they charge extra for doing this.

You can always ask to have it sighted in for a certain range, high, low, etc. If you get lucky they listen to you. But I doubt any builder will grant a request as to regulation size unless you want the rifle to group larger than normal

Its apparent to me that some DR's print nicely and some are lucky to be in the next ballpark, namely the Sabatti's as seen on the Cabela's site. NEVER EVER go by a test target. They mean absolutely nothing.

LX

If you want to see examples of a Heym, Searcy, or Chapuis and live close to Eagle River shoot me a PM and you can make arrangements to take a look at mine. Quite a few Alaskans on here who own doubles and bet they make the same offer. If it ever warms up maybe we can have a double Rifle shoot at BirchwoodSmiler

Thanks for the offer, I live down in Soldotna so I may take you up on it one day. I recently got to handle a few Chapuis, Merkel, Kreigoff, Sabatti and a John Rigby (whew! 30k worth)
The Chapuis and Merkel fit me the best, mostly looking at 450/400 3" or 470 NE, leaning 450/400.
I'd like to handle as many models as possible before buying, while brousing around the wife found a Chapuis DR in 30/30 sporting 22" bbls, I may have to buy 2 rifles..... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubles are fascinating rifles. I shot my last two moose with my 9,3x74R Chapuis. With some luck next years caribou will fall to the 30R Blaser from the Chapuis UGEX.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've used the CEBs now in 3 DRs. All have been very accurate and easy to find a regulation load with. In addition, they are absolutely devastating on the terminal performance end.

If the Chapuis and Merkel fit you well, I'd have no hesitation on buying either. I've owned both and think they are both very good, especially for the money spent.

Welcome to AR.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your impression of and or, information on the Sabatti DRs is dated; from all reported evidence, and from one I own and one I used to own, they shoot fine. Meaning within 2 inches at 50 yards. There are many satisfied Sabatti owners on this site.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sabatti 500 that shoots 1.5 inches at 50 yards and not many doubles will do that. If my eyes were better its no telling how good it would shoot. I do have better shooters but I also have worse. I'm not saying that all Sabatti double were made right but some were. I had some really expensive doubles that shot horrible.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies Gents. Concerning the regulation of the different rifles and the targets my main source has been the Cabela's library as they post pics of nearly every rifle and target. Some show 4 shots with a circle showing the final two labeled "Final Tuning". Here is what I hope to have my eventual DR to print like using the CEB #13's.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=318085170

I assume the POA is centered at 6:00 on this target. With a background as a paper puncher, a rifle that groups 3"-6" off the POA at 50m is not acceptable. Now I may be barking up the wrong tree as Snow Wolfe mentioned one shouldn't use the regulation target as a guide.
Thanks again for the info.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
. Quite a few Alaskans on here who own doubles and bet they make the same offer.

Ditto from Anchortown. Searcy, ChapuisJP Sauer
Some Austrian and English and Scotch older ones

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Definitely don't place any stock on much of anything you get from a Cabelas gun library. Shoot it and see for yourself; they are all individuals and are very sensitive to ammo and shooter techniques. The way you hold it makes a lot of difference too, and they are different from bolt guns. You should learn how to shoot one from someone up there who knows how and there a few. Improper shooter technique on a DR can be the casue of a lot of frustration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger that dpcd, thanks for the advice. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
. Quite a few Alaskans on here who own doubles and bet they make the same offer.

Ditto from Anchortown. Searcy, ChapuisJP Sauer
Some Austrian and English and Scotch older ones

Thanks Mike, I'll keep that in mind!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
LegioX:
Welcome.
At times in the warm weather like minded gents come to my home in Willow for a doubles shoot. However this summer we may go to Birchwood and reserve the range as it is closer to where most folks live. Come on up and join us. Also, should you drive to the city and Eagle River to see some new and European doubles, keep driving to north of Willow to see a few vintage English doubles.
Also, there is some info on doubles on my website: <calpappas.com>
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello Gents.

Its apparent to me that some DR's print nicely and some are lucky to be in the next ballpark, namely the Sabatti's as seen on the Cabela's site.

LX

LegioX, Here is an old post I made way back that may explain some of the myths you have read in magazines and on the internet. Many who have doubles that they think are properly regulated that shoot little 1 inch groups at 50 yds are sadly mistaken. If each barrels center of bore is one inch apart then it is imposible for the rifle to be properly regulated and shoot a 1 inch composite group. Because the rifle is crossing at that range, and will shoot more corssed as the range increases down range. The double rifle is actually two rifle sitting side be side, and when reguleted properly they shoot side by side.

FIRST OFF a double rifle should never touch anything but your hands, shoulder and face while being fired. You can rest the front of the rifle in your hand with the back of your hand on a sand bag but not the rifle. Also to change point of impact it is better to change the load rather than the bullet weight. Most double rifles are regulated to use a standard weight bullet at a particular speed, and that is the proper way to proceed.

Many new to double rifles have expressed the idea of using a laser and a jig to simply adjust the barrels to be perfectly parallel, but that simply does not work! The barrels have to be converging, and pointing low so they will shoot side by side under recoil flip. The right barrel moves UP and To the RIGHT while the bullet is traveling down the bore, and the left barrel moves UP and to the LEFT while the bullet is traveling down to bore. When the regulation is correct both the barrel’s center will be on it’s own side of the composite group of both barrels. Lasers are used by regulators just to place the barrels line of sight through the bore crossing and pointing low as a STARTING POINT only. After that the regulation process can begin by shooting and adjusting by trial and error!

What you are looking for is not bullet holes but the center of each barrels individual four shot group. The center of each barrel’s individual four shot group should be half the distance between the centers of the bores of both barrels. With the aiming point on the target half way between those two group centers, with the centers of each barrel’s individual group being on its own side of the aiming point. In other words the CENTERS of the two groups should never cross. Some shots will comingle in between the centers but the center should remain on its own side of the aiming point.

The comingling between the barrels is what forms the composite group, but the centers never cross. If the barrels centers are each on their own side of the aiming point but too wide, they will usually be high as well, then the load is too slow. Conversely if the centers cross they will usually be low as well, and the load is too fast.

The load needs to be either slowed or speeded up till the centers of a four shot group from each barrel is on its own side of the aiming point, with the aiming point half way between the two groups centers you have perfect regulation.

To properly get these two barrel groups, each shot from each barrel should be fired from cool barrels. IOW, you fire one shot from the right barrel, and within 8 seconds fire one shot from the left barrel. Let the barrels cool, then repeat the RT/LFT the same way, and again let the barrels cool, and so on till you have two four shot groups one from each barrel. The reason for the cooling between each two shots is because a double rifle is a hunting rifle and designed to fire the first two shots from a cool barrel set, to find a proper regulating group of four shot each two have to be fired from cool barrels. This is a step that is often not followed and the result is proper regulation is usually not found. The reason is after the first shot from each barrel the barrels heat progressively hotter with each two fired changing the impact point on the target. This fine when shooting animals but not for finding a regulating load. Once the load is found this process is not needed again.

Now find the center of each barrel’s individual four shot group in relation to the aiming point. This is easiest and best done on two separate identical targets placed side by side on the target backboard, with the aiming point in the exact center of each target.
I find two pieces of printer paper with a line drawn vertically and horizontally through the center of the paper with a two inch pyramid shaped aiming point with it’s top point at the apex of those two lines works best. Hold on the top of the pyramid.

This way the bullet holes are not intermingling, and it is easy to find the center of the group. Once the centers of the group on each target is found you can place on target on top of the other, and with a red marks-a-lot draw through the hole in the top target onto the target below. Now you have a clear idea of what each barrel is doing so you can make adjustments in your load accordingly.

This sounds like a lot of trouble, but it only has to be done once and when you find the proper load for your rifle, you are done. I go through this process with each new double rifle I buy, and once I find the load, I load 100 rounds with this load, and put it away for hunting, and in most cases this will be more than you will need for hunting for the next few years. For practice get about three 20 round boxes of brass and re-load the 60 rounds of brass till it wears out, but use the 100 rounds in new brass strictly for hunting.

The above is the way the regulator physically regulates your rifle at the factory and is one of the big costs of building a double rifle. Finding a proper load to match that regulation is the same process, and like the physical regulator, once you have done it you have the proper load for that rifle.

I recommend you cut and paste this to a word file and store it in your computer, or print it out and save it for further use next time, or to pass on to others who may need the information!

Hope any of this makes sense to you! Big Grin

....................................................................................................................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What he said. LegioX, I am getting ready to regulate this 9.3 I am building, so come on down and you can see how frustrating it can be and in this case, we will be moving and soldering the barrels to get the bullets to fall in the right place, with a predetermined load. Held in the hands from a standing rest position. as stated above. Many DR shooters have locked their rifles into sandbags at the bench and then wondered why they wouldn't shoot. and why they kicked so much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
LegioX:
Welcome.
At times in the warm weather like minded gents come to my home in Willow for a doubles shoot. However this summer we may go to Birchwood and reserve the range as it is closer to where most folks live. Come on up and join us. Also, should you drive to the city and Eagle River to see some new and European doubles, keep driving to north of Willow to see a few vintage English doubles.
Also, there is some info on doubles on my website: <calpappas.com>
Cheers,
Cal

Thanks for the offer, it should be easy to do, I work a 2 week on, 2 week off schedule here on the peninsula. Sounds like it'd be a lot of fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Hello Gents.

LX

LegioX, Here is an old post I made way back that may explain some of the myths you have read in magazines and on the internet. Many who have doubles that they think are properly regulated that shoot little 1 inch groups at 50 yds are sadly mistaken. If each barrels center of bore is one inch apart then it is imposible for the rifle to be properly regulated and shoot a 1 inch composite group. Because the rifle is crossing at that range, and will shoot more corssed as the range increases down range. The double rifle is actually two rifle sitting side be side, and when reguleted properly they shoot side by side.

FIRST OFF a double rifle should never touch anything but your hands, shoulder and face while being fired. You can rest the front of the rifle in your hand with the back of your hand on a sand bag but not the rifle. Also to change point of impact it is better to change the load rather than the bullet weight. Most double rifles are regulated to use a standard weight bullet at a particular speed, and that is the proper way to proceed.

Many new to double rifles have expressed the idea of using a laser and a jig to simply adjust the barrels to be perfectly parallel, but that simply does not work! The barrels have to be converging, and pointing low so they will shoot side by side under recoil flip. The right barrel moves UP and To the RIGHT while the bullet is traveling down the bore, and the left barrel moves UP and to the LEFT while the bullet is traveling down to bore. When the regulation is correct both the barrel’s center will be on it’s own side of the composite group of both barrels. Lasers are used by regulators just to place the barrels line of sight through the bore crossing and pointing low as a STARTING POINT only. After that the regulation process can begin by shooting and adjusting by trial and error!

What you are looking for is not bullet holes but the center of each barrels individual four shot group. The center of each barrel’s individual four shot group should be half the distance between the centers of the bores of both barrels. With the aiming point on the target half way between those two group centers, with the centers of each barrel’s individual group being on its own side of the aiming point. In other words the CENTERS of the two groups should never cross. Some shots will comingle in between the centers but the center should remain on its own side of the aiming point.

The comingling between the barrels is what forms the composite group, but the centers never cross. If the barrels centers are each on their own side of the aiming point but too wide, they will usually be high as well, then the load is too slow. Conversely if the centers cross they will usually be low as well, and the load is too fast.

The load needs to be either slowed or speeded up till the centers of a four shot group from each barrel is on its own side of the aiming point, with the aiming point half way between the two groups centers you have perfect regulation.

To properly get these two barrel groups, each shot from each barrel should be fired from cool barrels. IOW, you fire one shot from the right barrel, and within 8 seconds fire one shot from the left barrel. Let the barrels cool, then repeat the RT/LFT the same way, and again let the barrels cool, and so on till you have two four shot groups one from each barrel. The reason for the cooling between each two shots is because a double rifle is a hunting rifle and designed to fire the first two shots from a cool barrel set, to find a proper regulating group of four shot each two have to be fired from cool barrels. This is a step that is often not followed and the result is proper regulation is usually not found. The reason is after the first shot from each barrel the barrels heat progressively hotter with each two fired changing the impact point on the target. This fine when shooting animals but not for finding a regulating load. Once the load is found this process is not needed again.

Now find the center of each barrel’s individual four shot group in relation to the aiming point. This is easiest and best done on two separate identical targets placed side by side on the target backboard, with the aiming point in the exact center of each target.
I find two pieces of printer paper with a line drawn vertically and horizontally through the center of the paper with a two inch pyramid shaped aiming point with it’s top point at the apex of those two lines works best. Hold on the top of the pyramid.

This way the bullet holes are not intermingling, and it is easy to find the center of the group. Once the centers of the group on each target is found you can place on target on top of the other, and with a red marks-a-lot draw through the hole in the top target onto the target below. Now you have a clear idea of what each barrel is doing so you can make adjustments in your load accordingly.

This sounds like a lot of trouble, but it only has to be done once and when you find the proper load for your rifle, you are done. I go through this process with each new double rifle I buy, and once I find the load, I load 100 rounds with this load, and put it away for hunting, and in most cases this will be more than you will need for hunting for the next few years. For practice get about three 20 round boxes of brass and re-load the 60 rounds of brass till it wears out, but use the 100 rounds in new brass strictly for hunting.

The above is the way the regulator physically regulates your rifle at the factory and is one of the big costs of building a double rifle. Finding a proper load to match that regulation is the same process, and like the physical regulator, once you have done it you have the proper load for that rifle.

I recommend you cut and paste this to a word file and store it in your computer, or print it out and save it for further use next time, or to pass on to others who may need the information!

Hope any of this makes sense to you! Big Grin

....................................................................................................................................................................... old

Thanks you Sir!!
I'll cut, paste and save!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
What he said. LegioX, I am getting ready to regulate this 9.3 I am building, so come on down and you can see how frustrating it can be and in this case, we will be moving and soldering the barrels to get the bullets to fall in the right place, with a predetermined load. Held in the hands from a standing rest position. as stated above. Many DR shooters have locked their rifles into sandbags at the bench and then wondered why they wouldn't shoot. and why they kicked so much.

If you were a bit closer I would!! Smiler