New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 load question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
rifle (Merkel) is regulated with Federal which runs 2075. I started at 87 gr of RL-15 with a .750 backer rod wad, 500 Hornady soft, Fed 215 primer, and fed brass. I am up to 92 gr and still 100 fps short of the factory. Everything I have read says I should have matched at 87-89 gr of RL-15. Am I going to have any problems with running as much RL-15 (probably 94-95 gr) it takes to reach factory speed? At 92 gr there is no stiff opening and the primers are still round.

thanks for any insight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of my Merkels in 470NE regulated with 500gr Woodleighs at either 86gr or 87 gr of RL15 with muzZle velocity right at 2150. I am using kynoch wads as my filler. RL15 is known to vary from lot to lot, you may just have a slow lot. How is your regulation at 92gr? There have been posts in the past with loads running in the low to mid 90 gr level but you need to be careful if you change lots of RL15. Use your chronograph and work up to the velocity it takes to regulate.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I just started reloading from a new lot of RL 15.

My old lot pushed a 500 grain NF 2100FPS with 90 grains.

The new lot lost 110 FPS with the same charge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try IMR 4831. I use 106 grains and a 1/8 inch card wad. Regulates perfectly in my Chapuis.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I love RL-15 (well maybe love is too strong a term) but it does vary lot-to-lot considerably. That is why when I buy RL-15, I generally buy it 5-8 pounds at a time checking to make sure that it is all the same lot.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
just some random thoughts,I had a Merkel 470 NE,how are the groups so far at 50 yrds? my rifle shot fine with 87 grains of RL-15,if the groups are o.k I would maybe suspect your chrono.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I love RL-15 (well maybe love is too strong a term) but it does vary lot-to-lot considerably. That is why when I buy RL-15, I generally buy it 5-8 pounds at a time checking to make sure that it is all the same lot.

+1

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is why when I buy RL-15, I generally buy it 5-8 pounds at a time

+2

My Merkel liked 90 gr of RL 15 with Woodie softs and 89 gr with NF Cups and FP solids...both with a foam plug. Velocity was right at 2170 +/- fps with both. That double was the most accurate double I have ever fired...and the ones I have now are very good.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have seen increases or decreases needed up to 5 to 6 grains in different lots of RL15 on the larger charges.
Mac

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use quite a bit of RL 15 in various cartridges. I think we should all blanket the MFG requesting greater quality control of this specific offering.
Sorry for departing the objective of this thread.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info, I think I'll probably try another powder that is more consistant, hopefully H4350, as I shoot that in several other rifles.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Be prepared for more recoil. The reason so many big bore shooters use RL15 is that makes a notable difference in felt recoil.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote