THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Followup ?? on new DR - loads?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Followup ?? on new DR - loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted
The Heym 470 I ordered is to be regulated with W-R 500gr woodleighs. I've read multiple posts here and on NE about using lead or pistol bullets with AR5744 powder for practice. Dan's load seems to be the most often quoted. I've also read that this tends to be a "dirty" powder. Any issues with powder residue in the action or in the number of rounds per session without cleaning?
thanks!

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 500 grain FPGC bullet cast from wheel weights with a Ballisti-Cast mold with 45 gr of 5744. Powder residue is not a significant problem. Like all big bores you are burning enough powder that cleaning the rifle is a good idea ... as there are some pretty corrosive materials left behind.

Cast bullets are good for practice. Have taken deer and pigs with them too.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased some .470 cast bullets from Mstarling, you might check with him PM he might be still doing that. They shot real good in my 470

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote