New
Find
Notify
Tools

Death in the long grass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally got around to reading this classic. I loved the book and most things sounded true. One thing bothers me however. On page 162 Capstick tells of a bleeding Buff shooting a "thumb thick stream of blood... out a bullet hole that was hitting the ground a later-measured thirty-six feet away" This seems awful far. I don't think my garden hose with a nozzle on can spray this far. Has anyone ever seen a thirty six foot thumb sized stream of blood shooting from any animal they shot?

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Peter was hiting the single malt a little hard when he wrote that or his finger slipped on his typewriter key.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My grandfather would say "was you THERE charlie"

Posts: 4 | Location: northern calif. | Registered: 23 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the second "black wildebeest, 30/404" video here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...21108671/m/232109671

Looking at that, I wouldn't discount that blood shot 36 feet from a cape buff.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I think Peter was hiting the single malt a little hard when he wrote that or his finger slipped on his typewriter key.

465H&H

X2

Hyperbole: Exageration for the point or sake of the story.

BTW, I shot a buff once front on with a 500gr .458" solid. There was a gusher of blood the diameter of the bullet hole streaming from the wound. Max distance achieved = about five feet.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
old peter was wonderful to read.........but don't take any of it too seriously....

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I shot a groundhog at point blank range in the head with a shotgun and watched it spout blood (for a very short duration) 4-6 feet. I would tend to doubt it, but honestly I suppose anything is possible.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WannabeBwana:
Check out the second "black wildebeest, 30/404" video here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...21108671/m/232109671

Looking at that, I wouldn't discount that blood shot 36 feet from a cape buff.

If you watch the film clip link above you may well change your mind about the validity of PHC's account!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you ever saw "Black Death" you can see blood spouting a long way. 36 feet? No idea.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While of course I can not speak to validity of PHC's account. I shot a stallion zebra one time with a bow. I hit him through the aorta. There was blood sprayed 7 to 8 feet up in the trees where he first ran. I've never seen anything like it. It looked like somebody had taken a high pressure hose and sprayed blood into the trees.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I just got this forwarded from a friend of mine who lives in Minn, who always sends me trivia! This fits here in this thread I think.

What he sent was the amazing power of the "HUMAN" heart! I quote:

"The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps to squirt blood 30 feet!"

I'm quite sure a cape buffalo that is full of adrenaline has a heart that pumps at least with that amount of pressure! What cha thank, y'all?
................. BOOM................ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have seen free range chicken squirt blood for 6 or 8 feet with the throat cut. I have seen a clip of a white tail buck pumping blood 4 or 5 feet with a heart shot.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC probably did write to a certain "license" but .... considering the adrenlin levels of the cape buffalo when excited or shot and how hard it makes to kill them. Its easy for me to believe it would cause the blood flow as stated in the book.

Posts: 53 | Location: Virginia and Georgia | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote