THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Old, Junky Double at Auction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old, Junky Double at Auction
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This piece of crap is selling Saturday, I know it's not quite up to the standards of most here, but thought somebody might want something to toss behind a truck seat...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10552 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"This piece of crap" appears (from the photos) to be a pretty accurate description of that rifle.
What a shame.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Does that rifle not appear to have A LOT of drop in the stock? Maybe it is just they way the photos were taken.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, I thought the same, but it must be the photo....or made for someone with a LONG neck!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like the top and bottom tangs have been bent down in an attempt to lower the comb height.
That's probably why the wood doesn't fit properly any more at the stock head.
She's had a very hard life that's for sure.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Despite the calibre, not ideal for a scope, I fear Smiler

Is there any evidence the stock was bent more after it left the makers? What would Sherlock Holmes make of it? Fitted to someone with low-countries cheekbones who never shot prone?

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brought $6500.

Posts: 10552 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
Brought $6500.

Who ever bought that rifle will have to add another $3K to have the tangs re-bent and a new stock done!

If the bore is good, a competent smith can turn that rifle into a fine peace. Certainly the name on it has some value, but unless H&H does the work it will be a less valuable!

''''''''''''''''''Just one person's opinion! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Despite the calibre, not ideal for a scope, I fear Smiler

Is there any evidence the stock was bent more after it left the makers? What would Sherlock Holmes make of it? Fitted to someone with low-countries cheekbones who never shot prone?

Any double rifle can be fitted a scope successfully if done by a competent smith who understands double rifles. However this rifle is in need of some expensive work before anyone worries about a scope! Adding a scope would likely require a re-regulation as well.

It's value could be increased but would require work done by someone who fully understands what is needed, and has the skill to do the work.
....................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might be just me but from the pictures it looked like the receiver on top had ben brushed heavily as the engraving wasn't very crisp.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wished to hell I had known about it sooner, I would have bought it for that kind of money...Are we all looking at a Holland Royal or have some of you just gone nutso..There is nada on that gun that can't be fixed, I think the butt stock has been bent down and bending them back up will make the stock fit, it even tells you how much to bend it..Restored properly it will bring a bundle..Ain't nothing that can't be fixed..but there isn't a lot of expense in this one, its a real FIXER UPPER.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I wished to hell I had known about it sooner, I would have bought it for that kind of money...Are we all looking at a Holland Royal or have some of you just gone nutso..There is nada on that gun that can't be fixed, I think the butt stock has been bent down and bending them back up will make the stock fit, it even tells you how much to bend it..Restored properly it will bring a bundle..Ain't nothing that can't be fixed..but there isn't a lot of expense in this one, its a real FIXER UPPER.

Ray,
I Posted it here two days before the auction, and Posted a link to it about 3 weeks ago in a "Best Double" thread. If $3,000 would bring it to even decent shape that's a Royal under ten grand, which is rarer than a unicorn with two horns, but I ain't as learned as most here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually miss the great deals, not all that uncommon! pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why it was chamberedin the .240 Apex(.240 H&H Magnum) instead of the .240 H&H Magnum Flanged.

The Flanged would have made more sense for a double rifle.

I hope whoever won it gets it properly restored, it'd be an excellent whitetail gun.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great deal?
Oh yeah, it was such a bargain. Roll Eyes

Some of it's great features included it's chrome/nickel plated frame, sawn off barrels, funky rear trigger, ill fitting lock plates, butchered stock, bent tangs, just to mention a few.

With that sort of visible stuff showing on the outide, I'd hate to think what the condition of the internal lock and bolting parts might be like.

Don't forget that the estimate was just $6000 to $8000, and it sounds like that's about what it brought at auction.

No doubt it would have been a very nice gun when first built, but sadly that "Royal" is not a very 'regal' thing anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with 5Seventy. There was a lot going on with that rifle, and none of it good.

The smaller caliber doubles like the 240 can be problematical.

Obviously it sold for what the market thought it was worth. Seems you could easily spend the amount required to have bought an excellent condition original one.

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:
I wonder why it was chamberedin the .240 Apex(.240 H&H Magnum) instead of the .240 H&H Magnum Flanged.

The Flanged would have made more sense for a double rifle.

That's a good question.

My guess is that it was probably chambered for the .240 Flanged Nitro Express, which (I believe) is really a flanged version of the .240 Apex.