New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis 9.3x74 ejectors
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new 9.4x74 Chapuis and am fitting a drilling take-down canvas case to this gun. Everything fits nicely, including the 'scope but I have a question about the ejectors.
When I take the barrels off the action the ejectors stick out and stay there.
This is my first DR but I have many SxS shotguns and the ejectors do not stick out.
They stick out if I take the gun apart cocked or not.
I would feel better if they didn't stick out...is this OK?
Any way to push them back?

Thank you

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the ejectors are "out" does that not mean that the spring is NOT compressed?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume that the ejector springs are not compressed since the ejectors are full "out"

I cannot push them back with my fingers. Don't wanna force them.

This might be normal for this gun but as I said, it doesn't happen on any of my shotguns so I just wonder....

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon,
As you mentioned, familiar w/ SXS's, not double rifles, but perhaps dumb question, but can you reassemble barrels to receiver w/ the ejectors "out?" I would assume that when you re assemble the ejectors are recocked to permit closing of the action?? Just curious.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they stick out, and no it's not a problem. They really don't stick out all that much.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oxon, I have a Browning Citori Skeet gun. When I finish shooting I press the trigger on both barrels and disassemble the gun I do see that one barrel has the ejector hammer uncompressed. In order for me to reasessemble the gun (ie. attach the forend) I have to depress the ejector hammer. It is hard to do, but certainly possible with a rag. I use the term "ejector hammer" loosely. It is attached to the forend but operates the ejectors on the barrels. I have not noticed this on my double rifles.
Just FWIW, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Oxon,
As you mentioned, familiar w/ SXS's, not double rifles, but perhaps dumb question, but can you reassemble barrels to receiver w/ the ejectors "out?" I would assume that when you re assemble the ejectors are recocked to permit closing of the action?? Just curious.

martin

Yep, re-assembly is no problem

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Oxon, I have a Browning Citori Skeet gun. When I finish shooting I press the trigger on both barrels and disassemble the gun I do see that one barrel has the ejector hammer uncompressed. In order for me to reasessemble the gun (ie. attach the forend) I have to depress the ejector hammer. It is hard to do, but certainly possible with a rag. I use the term "ejector hammer" loosely. It is attached to the forend but operates the ejectors on the barrels. I have not noticed this on my double rifles.
Just FWIW, Peter.

Peter, the Citori has an inertia trigger and if you pull the trigger twice, only the first barrel's striker will fall. I suspect that's why you have one ejector compressed and the other not.

Usually one disassembles a shotgun in the fully "cocked" position. Some guns are hard as hell to get together if taken apart uncocked.

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Oxon I am aware of that! I fire one barrel, drop the butt on the ground and then fire the other. I can hear and feel them both go off. I suspect that I have a problem of some kind with that one barrel, but I am plan on waiting for something else to go wrong before I send it off! I cannot assemble the gun without depressing the ejector hammer, however. Looks like you can with your rifle.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ejector mechanism of the Chaupis is different than the traditional systems.

When you break the gun open, and the barrel[s] have not been fired, the "ejectors" are moved to the "extractor position" automatically.

So when you break the gun open to take it down the "ejectors" assume the "extractor position".

If you want to try your ammo in the chambers of the rifle with the barrels off the reciever you can close the "ejectors" by pressing them against a table and turning the little levers under the barrel to lock the ejectors down.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha!

It's going to take a lot of pressure - sure it's OK?

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is OK. I just pad the table or counter edge so I do not scratch anything.

Do one barrel at a time.

Done it many times.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote