THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Do You Use The Factory Crimp Die By LEE?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Use The Factory Crimp Die By LEE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the LEE Crimp Die a tool that you

experienced DR reloaders use? Would

it be right for my caliber?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Opinions may differ, but in my experience Lee has the crimp dies down right.

For your caliber, take two fired cases and load a bullet to the OAL you want. They will make a custom crimp die for round $40.

Here's the rub with Lee - their dies use different threads, and you will need one of their presses. They have a 50 BMG press that will work for the big boys. I thought I read a while back where someone had a thread adapter so you could use Lee dies in a standard press, but I never checked it out.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee Factory Crimp die in .45/70 and use it in my 35 year old RCBS Rockchucker without any problems. I am considering making a spacer to try to use it on .450 NE 3 1/4 rounds.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:

Here's the rub with Lee - their dies use different threads, and you will need one of their presses.

Now, i bet even Lee would find that bit of info interesting! lol

I've never seen a Lee die that would only work in a Lee press.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double up on Bwana_Dave. Right on. Good system and fits
my RCBS press, no problems at all. Factory type crimp cuts down on need for excessive roll
crimp which is hard on cases. Good shooting

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Lee Factory crimping dies for years on most of the calibers that I shoot up to and including my .470NE. They are NOT a different thread pattern. I use RCBS presses exclusively and the lee crimping dies work just fine they are a standard thread pattern. Just exactly like Lee presses which of course will accept other brand dies.

Jim, you either have a one off die or you are using one of there large body dies. The large body crimping dies are used for the bigger rounds such as NE rounds and .50 BMG rounds. Even those will fit just fine in a RCBS .50 BMG press you simply need to unscrew the smaller diameter standard die insert and crimp away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used Lee Factory crimping dies for years on most of the calibers that I shoot up to and including my .470NE. They are NOT a different thread pattern

Do you have a 470NE in standard size threads? I had sent them 9.3X62, 404 Jeff., 470 NE, they for custom crimp dies, they say the 470 has to be large size.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I do not crimp my 450/400 3 inch. I do crimp my 404 Jeffery. General rule I use is to crimp magazine rifles and not to crimp my double rifles.
Just my way.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANKS MEN, VERY MUCH!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I do not crimp my 450/400 3 inch. I do crimp my 404 Jeffery. General rule I use is to crimp magazine rifles and not to crimp my double rifles.
Just my way.

+1

crl

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote