New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym Doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If anyone is in the market for a new Heym double, take a look at Hendershot's Sporting Goods web site. They have PH models in 450 3 1/4 and 450/400. They also have an 88B in 450/400. They take trades!!! dancing

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A price of $21,500. for a Heym 88B Safari seems a bit high, don't you think?

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YES.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably has to do with the current value of the dollar relative to the Euro.
A year ago they were common around $16K-$17K.
You could find a deal lower if you were patient.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GunsInternational and GunAmerica has sale prices on doubles from Eurogun Imports, well below today's prices.

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Probably has to do with the current value of the dollar relative to the Euro.
A year ago they were common around $16K-$17K.
You could find a deal lower if you were patient.

How do you figure? The dollar is much stronger today vs the Euro then it was a year ago.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are correct about the dollar being stronger, but when did you evey see prices come back down just because the dollar rate got better? Krieghoff will maintain same prices in 2009 as they had on Jan 1, 2008. Except of course for me. Being a "rug merchant" I bring my prices down so I can move inventory.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Prince:
Being a "rug merchant" I bring my prices down so I can move inventory.

Big Grin, Having bought four rifles from Charles, he is a pleasure to deal with.

Mike

Posts: 21420 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GunsInternational and GunAmerica has sale prices on doubles from Eurogun Imports, well below today's prices.

That's fine if a spec gun is the caliber you want, happens to fit you perfectly and has the options that you want. That's all Eurogun has. They'll have beavertail fore-ends and the American classic cheek-piece, which I dislike. If you want to order a new Heym built to fit you with the options you want - such as splinter/English cheek-piece, claw mounts and regulated with scope, night sight, barrel length, etc.- and in a different caliber (.450/.400, .450...) you have to order from Hendershot's or Heym USA.

New, off the rack spec DRs never made much sense to me. If you want a new gun, it makes more sense to order the gun you want, built to fit you. If you're willing to settle for an off the rack spec gun, it makes a lot of sense to buy used instead.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:

That's fine if a spec gun is the caliber you want, happens to fit you perfectly and has the options that you want. That's all Eurogun has. They'll have beavertail fore-ends and the American classic cheek-piece, which I dislike. If you want to order a new Heym built to fit you with the options you want - such as splinter/English cheek-piece, claw mounts and regulated with scope, night sight, barrel length, etc.- and in a different caliber (.450/.400, .450...) you have to order from Hendershot's or Heym USA.

New, off the rack spec DRs never made much sense to me. If you want a new gun, it makes more sense to order the gun you want, built to fit you. If you're willing to settle for an off the rack spec gun, it makes a lot of sense to buy used instead.

Very sound advice,I bought a new one off the rack anyways,the price that I paid was better than what all the used ones were going for!

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:

You make a "spec" rifle sound sort of like a blind date with Rosie O'Donnell. I guess "spec" rifles are sort of like "spec" cars . . . and lots of folks buy "spec" cars off the lot everyday . . . and lots of folks buy old English doubles that come as they are too. I hear you though, those off the shelf "spec" rifles can be pretty rough. The one I had at the range yesterday in .500 NE is shooting 4-shot groups that are damn near almost an inch at 25 yards dead center in the bullseye. I am pissed, not.

Ask Antlers about ordering built to fit rifles . . .

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
You make a "spec" rifle sound sort of like a blind date with Rosie O'Donnell.

Sounds like the voice of experience. How was she?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not bad, a little on the heavy side, but I like them chubby.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You make a "spec" rifle sound sort of like a blind date with Rosie O'Donnell.

Well, in my view it is. Personally, three things I really hate on double rifles - beavertail fore-ends, American classic cheekpieces, and 24" barrels - are present on all of Eurogun's rifles. Splinter, beaded English cheekpiece, and 26" barrels - and personal stock dimensions - can be ordered from Heym at standard price and be here in 4 months.

quote:
I guess "spec" rifles are sort of like "spec" cars . . . and lots of folks buy "spec" cars off the lot everyday . . .

Those who have the need for a specialized vehicle don't. Apples and oranges.

quote:
. and lots of folks buy old English doubles that come as they are too.

Gigantic difference in old and new prices with English guns, way, way more than enough to completely restock if it doesn't fit. Apples and oranges again.

quote:
I hear you though, those off the shelf "spec" rifles can be pretty rough. The one I had at the range yesterday in .500 NE is shooting 4-shot groups that are damn near almost an inch at 25 yards dead center in the bullseye. I am pissed, not.

Most decent doubles will do that at such close range. Still, Heyms are usually very well regulated. Never saw one that would fit everyone though.

quote:
Ask Antlers about ordering built to fit rifles . . .

I'm well up on Tim's rifle. That's really reaching. Kinda like the guy that jumps out of a perfectly good airplane at 20,000 feet and has a chute failure...and survives with just a sprained ankle. Only a lawyer would pick that event as typical. Wink Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin animal
--------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am sure that makes Tim feel better . . . to know that his plight is not typical. How long will it be by the way between the time he ordered his rifle and when it actually shows up?

In the mean time, others will continue to enjoy their "spec" rifles both at the range and in the field. To each his own.

[My apologies to Tim, I mentioned his situation only to indicate that sometimes issues are not quite as clear cut as suggested.]

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question: This topic begins with a post talking about Hendershots and Heym doubles. Later posts says custom fitted Heyms, etc. etc. can be ordered from Hendershots OR Double Gun Imports. Question: Where else can you order a Heym rifle?
Are these the only 2 places?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
funny that, since every used double is a spec rifle.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question: This topic begins with a post talking about Hendershots and Heym doubles. Later posts says custom fitted Heyms, etc. etc. can be ordered from Hendershots OR Double Gun Imports. Question: Where else can you order a Heym rifle?
Are these the only 2 places?

www.heymusa.com The best place to get a Heym, because if an off the shelf Heym is not to your likeing you can order straight from Heym through them. All the others are one size fits all. There is nothing wrong with that if they fit you and you like the way they are configured on the shelf. I happen to be one that most off the shelf fit me fine, but I'm just lucky to be average. coffee

EDITED: This post was edited because of a very negative private post about my recommending Heym USA, so I listed some of the reasons for my recommendation.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Chris told me that he is only one that is authroized to import Heym rifles to the US......

Mac

Posts: 1732 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Chris told me that he is only one that is authroized to import Heym rifles to the US......

That is correct. Hendershots buys their rifles from us.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I ordered mine from new_guy.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. Actually, I handled many spec rifles and couldn't find any that came close to fitting me. Due to the fact that I need a very long LOP (15 3/8") and a lot of cast on (5/8") being left handed, a spec rifle was not a reasonable option for me. After measuring me twice even JJ indicated I would have a difficult time finding a rifle that he might be able to adjust to fit me; if I wanted a British double, it would probably have to be restocked. I needed a rifle built for me.

Working with Chris has been a pleasure. I doubt that many folks would show the continued courtesy and patience he has shown me. I took a very long time in deciding which way to go. Through it all he was very helpful working with a newbie's questions and gave honest and, I believe, unbiased opinions of my options. After knowing him for almost two years, I consider him a friend.

The rifle was completed right on schedule, but was not finished with my blank. This mistake was beyond Chris' control and he has worked very diligently to resolve this problem. I would have no reservations recommending HeymUSA to anyone in the market for a double.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered my Heym thru Chris as well. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend his service; for the money one spends on a double rifle it's silly not to order one custom fit IMHO Smiler

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
Due to the fact that I need a very long LOP (15 3/8") and a lot of cast on (5 3/8") being left handed, a spec rifle was not a reasonable option for me.

WOW, that is a lot of stock bending!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
Due to the fact that I need a very long LOP (15 3/8") and a lot of cast on (5 3/8") being left handed, a spec rifle was not a reasonable option for me.

WOW, that is a lot of stock bending!

Good catch! shocker That would be a strange looking stock. I edited the post above to 5/8". Wink

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote