New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumoulin double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have any of you any experience with the Belgian gunmaker Domoulin Herstal in Liege? Have anyone shot or hunted with their double rifles?

I first saw a few pictures of their Pionnier boxlock double rifle in the book by Terry Wieland, Dangerous game rifles. I have also seen a couple of double rifles from Domoulin for sale. They have two lines of doubles; the Pionnier boxlock and the Prestige sidelock. Apparently these rifles seems to be very well made.

http://www.dumoulin-herstal.com/en/express.htm

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max, welcome to AR. There are many DR enthusiasts here, so I'm sure someone is familiar with the Dumoulin doubles. I looked at a Pionnier several years ago, and it was over $30K used at that time. For that money, I'd be looking at a Heym.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going for a Heym would be a sensible option in any case. I have a Krieghoff which I’m very happy with, and I have also tried a few Merkels. However, I’m not so much interested comparing common factory made DRs like Heym to something like Dumoulin. I’m also not very interested in a discussion on value for money.

I believe it’s a step into something different when having a renowned gun maker build a custom DR, rather than buying a factory made Heym. Can one compare the Belgian gun trade, and specifically DRs, to the British? I guess most of us have a feel for the German gun trade and their DRs compared to the British. Belgian DRs are perhaps closer to the British than the German?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brown, first off I'm far from being any kind of authority, but my take is the Belgian gunmakers seem to have amalgamated characteristics of both German and British. Good stuff to be certain.

Given you are evidently considering a custom rifle one might peruse the offerings from the makers in Ferlach.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrownMax:
However, I’m not so much interested comparing common factory made DRs like Heym to something like Dumoulin. I’m also not very interested in a discussion on value for money.

BrownMax, The Dumoulin rifles are very well made double rifles and are among the best from Belgium! I have often said the double rifles and shotguns from Belgium are quality in most cases. That being said I do not consider them better than the Brit rifles, and the re-sale market will bring that fact to you when you sell.

As far as Biebs comment about the value for money spent, that amount money (30k) will get you just as good custom quality from Heym with their up grade rifles! That is all he was saying!

Now, if you are looking at bragging rights more than anything else then I would go British because Belgium made rifle will never give you the prestige that a British double will! You are correct in the opinion that one does take step up in perception of quality with name recognition in some cases but that doesn’t mean it is justified in reality! Most double rifle people I know would never take a Belgian over a British brand, though the quality is there.

Now if you don’t feel like discussing what I have written then simply disregard!

………………………………Welcome to AR! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37: I will not disregard what you have written; I really appreciate your response. I’m not so much into bragging, but I have become a sucker for fine traditional hunting firearms the last years. We’ll see, perhaps I get the opportunity to pay Dumoulin in Belgium a visit in the near future.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
MacD37: I will not disregard what you have written; I really appreciate your response. I’m not so much into bragging, but I have become a sucker for fine traditional hunting firearms the last years. We’ll see, perhaps I get the opportunity to pay Dumoulin in Belgium a visit in the near future.

That is a fine idea! Visiting the makers is always a good idea when the quest is for a fine double rifle!

................................................................ tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, believe that the Belgium makers know their rifles. I have seen great quality and, some not so great quality, out of Liege.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Have any of you any experience with the Belgian gunmaker Domoulin Herstal in Liege? Have anyone shot or hunted with their double rifles?

I first saw a few pictures of their Pionnier boxlock double rifle in the book by Terry Wieland, Dangerous game rifles. I have also seen a couple of double rifles from Domoulin for sale. They have

two lines of doubles; the Pionnier boxlock and the Prestige sidelock. Apparently these rifles seems to be very well made.

i have seen they prestige sidelocks in russia and i can say they are well made and very accurate guns

http://www.dumoulin-herstal.com/en/express.htm

MR.MASKAYEV