THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "Build your own double rifle" without ruining a set of shotgun barrels??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Build your own double rifle" without ruining a set of shotgun barrels??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am not connected to this item in any way. I suspect - I hope - someone can take advantage of what appears to be an opportunity to "build your own double rifle" without ruining a set of shotgun barrels. Barrels have 3-groove Enfield rifling, whatever that is.

In the white double rifle blanks

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good start but who knows what they are being fit up for...
Also looks like a dovetail lump so that can be changed out pretty easily as long as the bore centers work with your action and even if they don't, these barrels could be taken apart completely and reworked to bring them a bit closer together and to change the top extension I would think. The rim diameter will dictate that and looking at the breech end, they may be as close together as is practical once the rim recesses are cut.
I have heard of three groove rifling in some precision match rifles and the like these days but not sure of its use in big bore doubles.
There was a 303 Enfield with 3 groove too but mot many just after WW2 IIRC.

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if only it were that simple, we'd all do it.

So first the centres of the bores must be in exact alignment with the firing pin holes in the breech of the parent shot gun action.

That's the key.

Next comes the alteration needed to the existing forend iron and its woodwork and the question of the loop. And new extractors or ejectors will need to be made.

It'd be a lot of work this project. And for what? A weapon that will in fact be less lethal, for practical purposes, at the realistic ranges at which it will be used, that a simple side by side shot firing and old fashioned Forster or modern Brenneke slug.

.577 Snider was never a 'big game' calibre for good reason and so the project is daft. OTOH you might get very lucky and get a match with an action...it's a lottery this project...but you might just win...

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

.577 Snider was never a 'big game' calibre for good reason and so the project is daft...

I think the seller was using the Snider round as an example - a rather poor example. The barrels are not chambered.

The rate of twist is apparently super slow. I wonder what they were originally cut for?

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder, then, if it is some sort of "bore" rifle? Not a .577" per se, not a 20 bore, but perhaps a 24 bore? For ball or "collar stud" bullet? Or maybe a "Colindian" bullet?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Or it sounded like a good idea at the time.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
If a .45-70 double using factory Hornady ammo with a planned accurate range of 100 yards will work for you, you might consider the slide in tubes.
The MCA .45-70 adapter insert for my turkey gun will plunk them into a 8inch bull all day.

And here is another approach from another forum:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/f...er=426250#Post426250

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The seller says that they have a really slow twist, (approximately 1/2 turn over the length of the barrel). Wouldn't that be a black powder round ball twist?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a spare shotgun barrel set for a Valmet 412 made into a set of DR barrels in 459/400. I should have them soon.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote