New
Find
Notify
Tools

small bore doubles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There is a local dealer that has a 7x57R double rifle made in Shul. It is in fine condition. There is provision for scope mounting but no scope. He is asking about $6000.00. Is there any need for such a light double rifle and is that a good price? It is in exellent condition.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little doubles are much fun. You will shoot them a lot more than a big bore. This sounds like a great gun. The only caviot (sp) is that you should get permission to shoot it with right of return if it is not properly regulated. Have it looked over by a gun smith and make sure that it is mechanicaly sound and you are off and running. Most mechanical problems can be resolved but it is not cheap and takes a long time.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
els is right. You should try and get a chance to shoot it and regulation is important, but as long as the individual barrels group well, don't let poor regulation be the deal breaker if the rest of the gun is in great condition (and you like it).

Personally, I would argue that condition is more important than regulation. You can't fix bad bores - for example, but regulation, on the other hand, is only about a $600 problem to solve.

As usual, the three most important things are condition, condition and condition.

FYI - the small bores are usually more finicky about regulation, and I doubt on a gun this old that you will have available the exact ammo/load it was regulated with – so weigh that into your consideration as well when judging how well it was regulated.

Again, look for good individual groups and condition, condition and condition.

Good luck! thumb

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
....Have it looked over by a gun smith .....

Get jj to look it over. Most "gun smiths" will not know what they are looking at, much less looking for.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Took delivery lastweek of a Merkel 8x57R. New in box for under $4000. Single non-selective trigger,ejectors,21"barrels, flourescent red front sight,single standing rear,coin finish reciever,minimal engraving. Very pleased with it. If it shoots as good as it handles I think I could take pheasant on the wing with it. Has 2 blocks in rear of rib that look to be fillers for scope mounts. Soon as i get dies and brass I will let you know how it shoots.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
There is a local dealer that has a 7x57R double rifle made in Shul. It is in fine condition. There is provision for scope mounting but no scope. He is asking about $6000.00. Is there any need for such a light double rifle and is that a good price? It is in exellent condition.

I have a Watson Bros 303 and it is my second favourite Double Rifle. Lots of shooting and carries light. Weighs 7.5 pounds.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the caliber as important in the smaller bores as it is in the big stuff?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mickey: Any chance you might share a photo of your Watson .303? I remember how impressed Edouard Foa was with his .303 double.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The 8X57JRS that Zimbabwe bought is a very versatile caliber, about like a 30.06 and can be used for everything a 30.06 can be used for. It is very popular in Europe among the wild boar and stag hunters. As for caliber being important, I think a double rifle should have rimmed cases, even if a good smith can make them eject a rimless case.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Mickey: Any chance you might share a photo of your Watson .303? I remember how impressed Edouard Foa was with his .303 double.

26 inch barrels, ejectors. David Winks says it was probably made by Holland or at least off a Holland action.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:

Is this rifle an O/U, or S/S double? Made in Suhl, it is likely a Merkel,or Simpson, both actually the same rifle for all practical purposes!

The light double rifle will deffinately see more use than the big bores, and a light double rifle chambered for any of 7mm, 8mm, or 9.3s are about the best one could ask for in North American hunt, or plains game in Africa, especially if scoped in QD rings, and bases!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:

Get jj to look it over. Most "gun smiths" will not know what they are looking at, much less looking for.

Hog Killer

You can put that up in neon lights.

Mick, I think more likely whoever made most of the Dominions for Holland (like maybe Pople & Bennett?). Even some of the Royals were bought in. Pretty rifle.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the "provision for a scope " claw mount bases ?

if so, i can probably help you out with claw mount parts at a very affordable price .

i have front rings with preftted bases. the rears were always indiividually fitted to the base. the price for what you would need is about $275

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The little double is a side by side and has some of the finest french walnut I have seen. I will try to get pictures and share with you.

square shooter

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
tomo577,
Do you have rings that would adapt to a Merkel 141. It has a front dovetail block in the rib and a rear longer block that has taper shoulders wider than the rib and looks like it's for some type of clamp rear ring. The dovetail block has a setscrew in the center so I suppose it would remove and block could be driven out. The rear block is held in with 2 large allen head screws. Both blocks are slightly (less than 1/16") higher than the rib.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mickey: Your Watson is lovely. Just lovely.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to go and take pictures of the rifle I was looking at after the pictures of the Watson. What a dream.

square shooter

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Mickey
I have yet to see a double I lust for more than that 303 of yours! STUNNING.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonto:
Mickey
I have yet to see a double I lust for more than that 303 of yours! STUNNING.
Dean

Here's another picture.

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Mickey
She is a real beauty. I hope someday to own a fine double in 303. For now ill live with my kodiak double.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of lash laroo
posted Hide Post
Rigby makes a .225win that is great or george hoenig makes a rotary over under .177hmr and the double barrel factor makes them super ridged and shoot great groups

Posts: 16 | Location: paso robles ca | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of lash laroo
posted Hide Post
the best way would to build a vareity of barrel sets for your double carry one action and a variety of barrel sets . can be and is done...you could have .225 to 470...

Posts: 16 | Location: paso robles ca | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lash laroo:
the best way would to build a vareity of barrel sets for your double carry one action and a variety of barrel sets . can be and is done...you could have .225 to 470...

You could but you would be quite unhappy with an 18 pound .225

Picture of lash laroo
posted Hide Post
i have built one on a 20 guage action and it was 13.5 with scope and rings....of course no merkury tubes needed

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of hunting in the States with my 9,3 Chapuis.
A small bore double in a "deer/elk" calibre is a great rifle [scoped of course].
The 7x57 is about as good as it gets, likewise the 303, 8x57 etc.

I would love to have a 308 double rifle, why?? because I have a lot of ammo and brass in 308, and it is my favorite of this class cartridges.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote