Find
Notify
Tools

press for the .450 No2 NE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boha
posted
After enjoying the bliss and elation of aquiring a 450 No2 NE double rifle, I am presented with the first dilemma: My Rock Chucker does not allow me to insert a shell in the shellholder without unscrewing the Triebel die, which is a bit awkward. What press do you use for these big shells? Lee Classic Cast?

I will use Hornady 480 grs softpoints an solids for starters. Probably working with Vihtavuori N140 up to ca 88 grs for 2150 fps, we'll see whereabout she regulates..

Oh, and my rifle is a Henneberger converted AYA Royal sidelock. Happy with it so far - no collectors value so it will be put to good use.

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello Boha,

I am using an Redding Ultra Mag reloading press for my .450No2. However even on this huge reloading press, I had to cut a 6 mm radius 6mm deep into the frame for easier cartridge removal.
I personally would not recommend using a Powder like N140 as I think this is far too quick burning in this large cartridges. I use H4831 and N165.

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
RCBS AmmoMaster 2 Single Stage Press

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19314 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Robert. Sounds like good advice, the only load I found over the internet was a Reloader 15 load and that would be the equivalent of N140. I use N140 in my .500 Jeffery.
What load do you use with the N165?

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Classic cast press to load 416 Rigby with plenty of room to spare. I would expect your longer 450NE to easily fit in this press. Keep in mind it was made to accommodate the 50BMG.

Also, regardless of your opinion of Lee products, this press is well made, high quality, and the price can't be beat.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Boha,

PM send

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boha, I don't know about the #2, but I can load my 450x 3 1/4 in my Rockchucker press. The case just needs to be tilted a bit to clear the decapping pin, and, the bullet just needs to be pushed up into the seating die before placing on top of the case. I little bit of fiddling, I know, but it save buying a new press!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
RCBS AmmoMaster 2 Single Stage Press

Yep that is THE way to go. It has TONS of throw and clearance.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:
I use a Lee Classic cast press to load 416 Rigby with plenty of room to spare. I would expect your longer 450NE to easily fit in this press. Keep in mind it was made to accommodate the 50BMG.

Also, regardless of your opinion of Lee products, this press is well made, high quality, and the price can't be beat.

That is what I use as well for my 416 Rigby and 450NE 3 1/4" jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I would use the lee classic cast press. I have the ammo master II as well. It has in my opinion too much throw on the lever. I use it for my 50 cal and some bullet swaging. It in my opionion is a lot of press for nitro express cartridges.

Mac

Posts: 1725 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The AMMO master 2 is the way to go because the 450No2 NE is considerably longer than the 450NE 3 1/4 inch!

NOTICE: TYPO CORRECTED IN RED BELOW

The 450NE 3 1/4" case length is 3.25 inches,while the 450No2NE case length is 3.50 inches!
The 450NE 3 1/4 inch OAL of the loaded cartridge is 4.11 inches, while the OAL length of the 450No2 is 4.42 inches.

A press that just will take the 450NE 3 1/4" will not take a 450No2 NE cartridge. Even though the OAL of the 450No2 is 4.42 inches the bullet needs a lot of room before the case touches the bottom of the bullet. The RCBS AOMO-Master 2 is about the best new press for this cartridge.

I use an old RCBS BIG MAX for the 450NoNE cases but that press has been discontenued for some years. I have a Westley Richards 450No 1 Express rifle and the cases have to be made it from the 475No2 cases which are the same length as the 450No2 NE and my Rock Chucker press will not work with a case that long, nor will the LEE!
For the trimmer the best way to go is with a trim die!

Hope any of this helps! By the way, that is a nice looking conversion! Congratulations! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Or...a Lee Classic Cast-iron press...or a Lee Classic Turret press.

The Turret press would be my pick for the .450 as you can get a Lee FCD in 7/8" size.

I have one of each of the above because the Lee FCD for .500 NE is 1 1/4" which won't fit my turret press.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36613 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Hollywood single stage press has LOTS of room.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac, I was not aware of that amount of difference. What is/was the parent case for the 450 #2?
Oops! I see "475No2". What the hell is THAT?!!! Bullets add and inch to the OAL? Holy smoke!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Thanks Mac, I was not aware of that amount of difference. What is/was the parent case for the 450 #2?
Oops! I see "475No2". What the hell is THAT?!!! Bullets add and inch to the OAL? Holy smoke!
Peter.

The parent case is basiclly a 500NE case but longer, and bottlenecked! The 475N2 NE is the same case as the 450No2 NE case only necked out to take the 475 bullet, and it has a thicker and wider rim OAL and case length are the same in both cases! Those two cases are the longest cases and loaded cartridges in the NE field of cartridges. Both are very low pressure compared to the 450NE, and all the 470 class cartridges, and that is why most conversions to a .450 cartridge on a shotgun action are the 450N2 NE. The only problem is you have to overhual your loading room for these two cartridges!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I do everything but crimp (not a problem with .450) in my Lee Classic turret...then crimp with LFCD in my Lee Classic cast single stage.

You'll hard pressed to buy a better system...esp for the money...probably MANY just as good...albeit...more money.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36613 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac, thanks for the education!
Peter.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I do everything but crimp (not a problem with .450) in my Lee Classic turret...then crimp with LFCD in my Lee Classic cast single stage.

You'll hard pressed to buy a better system...esp for the money...probably MANY just as good...albeit...more money.

JL Easter the 450NE and the 450No2 NE are far different cartridges. The No2 will not work in a press that will just handle a 450 NE 3 1/4"! The 450No2 case is 0.25" longer than the 450NE and the 450No2 is 0.31 longer in OAL than the 450NE.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check to make sure but the Lee Classic Cast was made for .50 BMG. I think the Lee Classic Turret has the same length stroke..but will check.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
http://www.leeprecision.com/cg...l#ClassicTurretPress

Lee Classic Turret Press

This press has all the features of the award-winning Turret Press with quality touches that make this the finest, most convenient press to own. The Classic Turret features the solid steel linkage of the Lee Classic Cast. Your first stroke of the hardwood gripped lever will convince you this is one, solid silky smooth press! The sturdy iron base shows its Classic Cast roots.

The long stroke allows rifle cases over three inches long to be loaded using the automatic index. Deactivate the Auto-Index and cases as long as the monster 50 BMG can be loaded.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
So...as I was saying...you could use the Lee Classic turret all the way through...for a .450 No2 NE.

But I have to switch to my single stage Lee Classic Cast to crimp my .500 NE's as the custom made Lee FCD for .500 NE is 1 1/4" X 12 tpi.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The AMMO master 2 is the way to go because the 450No2 NE is considerably longer than the 450NE 3 1/4 inch!

The 450NE 3 1/4" case length is 3.25 inches,while the 450No2NE case length is 3.50 inches!
The 450NE 3 1/4 inch OAL of the loaded cartridge is 3.11 inches, while the OAL length of the 450No2 is 4.42 inches.

A press that just will take the 450NE 3 1/4" will not take a 450No2 NE cartridge. Even though the OAL of the 450No2 is 4.42 inches the bullet needs a lot of room before the case touches the bottom of the bullet. The RCBS AOMO-Master 2 is about the best new press for this cartridge.

I use an old RCBS BIG MAX for the 450NoNE cases but that press has been discontenued for some years. I have a Westley Richards 450No 1 Express rifle and the cases have to be made it from the 475No2 cases which are the same length as the 450No2 NE and my Rock Chucker press will not work with a case that long, nor will the LEE!
For the trimmer the best way to go is with a trim die!

Hope any of this helps! By the way, that is a nice looking conversion! Congratulations! beer

I think your measurement on the 450NE loaded OAL is a little off? I don't have one. But it seams way short. Let correct myself. I am talking about the LEE Classic Cast 50 BMG press not just the regular Cast press.

Mac

Posts: 1725 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 450NE 3 1/4 inch OAL of the loaded cartridge is 3.11 inches

McKay, you are correct. I think there was typo in Mac's original post. Obviously the OAL of a loaded round (3.11) cannot be less than the case length (3.25). I suspect he meant 4.11 not 3.11.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
.50 BMG Specifications
Case type Rimless, bottleneck
Bullet diameter .510 in(12.95 mm)
Neck diameter .560 in (14.2 mm)
Shoulder diameter .714 in (18.1 mm)
Base diameter .804 in (20.4 mm)
Rim diameter .804 in (20.4 mm)
Case length 3.91 in (99 mm) Overall length 5.45 in (138 mm)

Primer type #35 Arsenal Primer

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Therefore...the Lee Presses should work fine.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I might have to pick up one of those Lee Classic Turret presses.

I have an ancient RockChucker, a RockChucker Supreme but I think I "need" one of these too.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
I might have to pick up one of those Lee Classic Turret presses.

I have an ancient RockChucker, a RockChucker Supreme but I think I "need" one of these too.

I think they are the Cat's Ass (not the Dog's Bollocks, Steve).

I disengage the automatic turning thing and turn by hand. Keep all my regular dies set up in a turret. The .500 through me a kink...as the Lee FCD is 1 1/4.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The 450NE 3 1/4 inch OAL of the loaded cartridge is 3.11 inches

McKay, you are correct. I think there was typo in Mac's original post. Obviously the OAL of a loaded round (3.11) cannot be less than the case length (3.25). I suspect he meant 4.11 not 3.11.
Peter.

You are absolutely correct it is 4.11. I will go back and edit it! Do I get a blind fold, and a cigarette before the exicusion?
............... BOOM............... shocker

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

J L Lane you are absolutely correct! I had it confused with another LEE press.

Damn! That's the second mistake I've made since 1947! old

................... jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

J L Lane you are absolutely correct! I had it confused with another LEE press.

beer

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

You must not be married.

I was ALMOST right just once in 1995 according to my wife with whom I have been with for 30 years. ALMOST right.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I get a blind fold, and a cigarette before the exicusion?

Executions are normally handled using bolt actions rifles! The ultimate insult!
Peter.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

You must not be married.

I was ALMOST right just once in 1995 according to my wife with whom I have been with for 30 years. ALMOST right.

DOC I married the first time June 26th 1954, and have been married to my second wife 49 years last August 19th! So I guess I'll have to bring that up to 1954 from 1947! Let's see now thatsssssssssssssss three mistakes since 1947!

........................... sofa

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the 3-1/2" case I use the Lee Classic Cast press.
I've been running this press for a few years now, and I've been very happy with it.
I've loaded everything from .25acp up to the big 450no2NE cases. I get great feedback from it - so much so that I even do a great deal of my primer seating with it as a matter of course.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is funny!!

quote:
Executions are normally handled using bolt actions rifles! The ultimate insult!
Peter.

rotflmo

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The parent case is basiclly a 500NE case but longer, and bottlenecked! The 475N2 NE is the same case as the 450No2 NE case only necked out to take the 475 bullet, and it has a thicker and wider rim OAL and case length are the same in both cases! Both are very low pressure compared to the 450NE, and all the 470 class cartridges, and that is why most conversions to a .450 cartridge on a shotgun action are the 450N2 NE.

Oh dear, where do you get this stuff from Mac?

First, the 500NE is not "basically" the parent cartridge to the 450 No2. The 500NE is shorter, has a much thinner rim, and a different base diameter to the 450 No2.

Second, the 475 No2 is not the same case as the 450 No2. The 475 No2 has a larger base diameter than the 450 No2. Rim thickness is also actually the same for both cases.

Third,
The 450 No2 and the 475 No2 are NOT lower in pressure than "all the 470 class cartridges".

CIP Max Average Pressure for the 475 No2 and the 450 No2 are higher than for the 470 NE.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 5seventy:

Oh dear, where do you get this stuff from Mac?

First, the 500NE is not "basically" the parent cartridge to the 450 No2. The 500NE is shorter, has a much thinner rim, and a different base diameter to the 450 No2.

Second, the 475 No2 is not the same case as the 450 No2. The 475 No2 has a larger base diameter than the 450 No2. Rim thickness is also actually the same for both cases.

Third,
The 450 No2 and the 475 No2 are NOT lower in pressure than "all the 470 class cartridges".

CIP Max Average Pressure for the 475 No2 and the 450 No2 are higher than for the 470 NE.

Well we’re off to see the wonderful WIZARD OF OZ who has yet again taken me down the yellow brick road to the wood shed! I simply don’t know how I or in fact this website got along without your input for so many years!

I, for one, am glad you are here so now I don’t have to write at all, just e-mail you the subject, and let you do it, and ride your own back for a while!

One question, that I’m sure someone like you could answer. What is the going price for a Wizard today? I ask because I would like to buy one for what he’s worth, and sell him for what it thinks he’s worth. That would net a fine profit I would think! Please put me on your ignore list so I can let my ass take a rest from you nose stuck in it up to your eyeballs!

GO-DAY MATE!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Boha, In regard to the numbers in my posts on the 450No2 NE, and the 475No2 NE

5seventy is technically right! The case is not strictly a 500 base case, as I and he said there are several areas where they differ, mostly in length ,however all we were dealing with here is the length for fitting into a press, a fact 5seventy chose to ignore so he coulf kick me a little.

He is also correct it isn’t that much different in pressure from the other 470 class cartridges. It is however lower than most of the later 450 cartridges, because of the same caliber, and speed but with more volume in the case for the powder charge to get the same speed.

He knows they are close but he is a nitpicker who simply likes to piss on me for some reason that I’ve been unable to understand. You can count on any time you see a post writen by me, there will be a post from 5seventy in short order! Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We should get you guys a nice padded wrestling ring, cover y'all in Jell-O and watch you splash around a bit!

I'm sure there will be some sort of entertainment factor there...

One thing for sure, it looks like Boha will have fun running his nice looking rifle!

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
We should get you guys a nice padded wrestling ring, cover y'all in Jell-O and watch you splash around a bit!

I'm sure there will be some sort of entertainment factor there...

Cheers
Tinker

True enough I suppose. Wink
But despite what Mac says I'm not looking for a fight.
All I am looking for is some degree of accuracy regarding posts relating to DR's.
Nothing more and nothing less. Smiler

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote