New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle-375HH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In last couple days made the committment to purchase subject rifle, monies to change hands shortly after first of the year, and have a question. Double will not go on any DG hunts but used for fun shooting, and some deer hunts, etc. Question is can one shoot cast/GC bullets without any problems pressure wise?? Have heard/read that cast can actually increase pressures over jacketed bullets. I can see where soft lead might cause such an issue, but would think hard cast would not be a problem?? My thoughts are that a cast load would be a good plinking round, but if it is a "no, no" so be it. Rifle is a Chapuis in excellent condition and this is my final gun purchase and want to treat it properly. All feed back appreciated.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, MFD:
You can shoot cast bullets in your double. Normally, if you shoot a cast bullet of the same weight and with the same charge you use for a jacketed bullet, pressure will be lower and bullet speed maybe the same or a little higher. Cast bullets are much softer than jacketed, and need less force for engraving in the rifling and being deformed into the barrel, so the pressure rise is smaller.
Other members of the forum shoot cast bullets in their doubles without problems.
Regulation may be another different problem.

Antonio

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by herrdoktor:
Hello, MFD:
You can shoot cast bullets in your double. Normally, if you shoot a cast bullet of the same weight and with the same charge you use for a jacketed bullet, pressure will be lower and bullet speed maybe the same or a little higher. Cast bullets are much softer than jacketed, and need less force for engraving in the rifling and being deformed into the barrel, so the pressure rise is smaller.
Other members of the forum shoot cast bullets in their doubles without problems.

Antonio

Read Michaels thread on Double Rifle Bullets of the Future on this forum. They have done some interesting testing on cast bullets in doubles. I was surprised to see some of their results in regards to cast bullets. I will not be using any in my doubles. Especially on the 375. There are so many cheap jacketed bullets for the 375 to practice with.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by herrdoktor:
Hello, MFD:

Antonio

Michael458's barrel strain tests show the cast bullets to have some of the HIGHEST pressures of all the bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bottom line with me is no double rifle should be produced in a 375 H&H or any belted or non rimmed cartridge..For one thing those rounds may produce up to 65,000 PSI and many a double has been blown off face with one shot from those calibers, and the other reason is the extractors or ejectors are known to jump the rim with non rimmed cartridges..

In your case I suppose you can get by, but why would anyone spend that kind of money on such a rifle when rimmed doubles are probably available at the same costs?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote