Find
Notify
Tools

HEYM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
Hi, what are you guys thinking of a Heym double ? im thinking of a 500NE - I saw on their webpage a rifle called JUMBO, do any you have this one ? Please good pictures and comments.

Anton

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
New guy can give you scale of the rifle, I handled one and they are very nice, I love the look of the pinless sidelock. Pretty good value too. I was holding a 577, and it was priced in the low 30's, this was about 2 years ago.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owned a new 479 NE now have new 450/400. Both were really excellent guns. They have the quality and balance.

Before I owned the Heym, had 470 Merkel, it shot great, but you can tell the difference in quality. I would not hesitate to recommend Heym. It is also great at holding resale value.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by csxcs:
Hi, what are you guys thinking of a Heym double?
I'm thinking of a 500NE - I saw on their webpage
a rifle called JUMBO, do any you have this one?
Please good pictures and comments.

Anton

For pic's: www.heymusa.com and

http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/

HEYM - JUMBO is heavy for 500 NE.

The 88B 500 NE can be a little light

in weight. Quality is reported to be

very sound by owners.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one in model 88 or 88b in 500 NE. Damn nice gun. Well made. A little lite for the caliber. Shot well.

I had trouble seeing the sight. I ended up putting white out on the front bead to help visibility.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I see that many riflemakers have that you can choose either sidelock or boxlock - At Searcy it is + 12 000 USD in the 577NE caliber. What is better with a sidelock ?

Anton

One of Us
posted Hide Post
S/L is more prestigious. Unless you are wealthy

who cares? The great majority of us have BOX

LOCKS, brand new or relatively new or four thru

ten decades old. They are "doing their thing" quite

aptly says I.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
I have owned 4 doubles, a California, Rigby in 470, Searcy in 470, Merkel in 500-3" and a Heym 88-B in 500-3". By a wide margin the Heym was a piece of trash! The Rigby and Merkel second best and Searcy next. We are talking about a gun that would have been two years old this December. Poor quality to the extent that a firing pin broke the second day on safari to Tanzania leaving me with a 416 Rigby that was certainly up to the task but the 500 double would have been nice on the buffalo hunt. Yes, this gun had been fired over 100 times prior to leaving for the hunt.

We visited a companion camp and one of the PH's had just received a 577 Heym double and on his 6th shot the barrels seperated at the muzzle. We were also told by another PH, who visited our camp for a few days, he had a client earlier in the season (2007) who had trigger malfunctions that disabled the gun.

Although my problem and the trigger problem may be easily solved it is sad that new guns fail between 50 and 120 shots. My experience and what I have seen tells me Heym double of today is not the same quality of the Heym guns of yesterday.

I hope your experience will be much more POSITIVE than mine.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Seems 500 fan and company have had some very bad luck with their Heyms. VERY UNLUCKY, for sure, because in my experience with the two Heyms I've owned, the only problem I had was not being able to use them in Africa enough! In 50 yrs of owning almost every brand of double rifle, I can say the heyms were close to being one of the best working rifles I've ownwed!

Admittedly, the Heyms I owned were two made back in the early 80s, but I have handled, and shot several of the new ones, and know several people who have them now, and frankly 500 Fan's post is the first one I've come across about any problem at all where the Heym double rifles are concerned. I wish I had not sold the ones I had, as a matter of fact!

Today the only new double rifles I own are a pair of Merkels, and I have not had a problem with them either. One is a 140-2, 470NE, and the other is a 140E, 9.3X74R, and both are shooters, and show no sign of any failier, after 7 yrs, with the 9.3, and five yrs with the 470NE.

I would simply be tickeled pink to own one of the new PH model Heyms,chambered for 450/400 3", like the one New Guy had down at the ranch last year. That rifle was a real tack driver and ballanced like it was part of my body.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I guess I've been lucky with Heyms, and got the few that came off the line and were not TRASH! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I curently own a Heym 88B in .470 NE. I have had it for 5 years and it has made five trips to Africa in that time. I too, find it an accurate, very well made rifle with exceptional balance. I don't find it wanting in any way and well worth the money.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first Heym was 470 NE and found it to be an excellent rifle. The second is a 450/400 and it also is a great rifle. Have had no problems with them at all.
They both handle well and have excellent balance

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
We should all be so lucky to own a Heym.

The latest 470 I obtained is a shooting fool. Two shots that touch at 25 yards, off-hand. Bring on the jumbo.

I noticed in the new video that Boddington's daughter (?) or whoever she is was shooting a Heym.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I noticed in the new video that Boddington's daughter (?) or whoever she is was shooting a Heym.

Will in the new elephant video the woman shooting that Heym is Craig's new wife Donna I think her name is.

I find these internet rifle quality threads interesting. I've owned two Searcy's in .470 NE both have been exquisitely accurate and dependable. Look at some of the posts about Searcy's on here and you'd think that they are made of tin and paper mache'.

I've never owned a Heym but I've known people who have and I've never heard of the problems that are being posted here. But then again you could post anything about any rifle out there and somebody will have had a bad time with it. There hasn't been a 100% completely trouble free brand of rifle built yet.

I've heard nothing but good about Heym rifles. I am a bit surprised at .500 fan's post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan Carter likes and shoots a Heym.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ivan may like his Heym, but if someone gave me one too I'd sure like it! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing better than owning a double rifle is getting one as gift! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This comig from a DR snob...I'd buy a Hyem, Searcy, Merkel, Chapuis if I needed another rifle in my battery - Have shot them all and from what I can tell, there's a lot of value in these rifles...

Hyem .500... thumb

JW

PS - Ivan's rifle has been through 10 years of serious use in the bush....Still going strong - gift or no gift! troll

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Is that the order in which you'd pick them?

Hey nothing wrong with a gift in fact if you'd like to send me a rifle or two for Christmas I'd be happy to accept them!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike,

I didn't intend the order to indicate anything, but now that you mention it...

I'd buy the Hyem first if in fact I was just buying a DR "off the shelf"...

The Searcy if I was going to order one just because I think Butch, Dirk, et al can get me exactly what I want...I can use my own wood, go up to SD and shoot it in etc, etc....Made in USA!

The Merk / Chap if I was going to screw-down on a budget

They're all good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS - I had talk with Santa.....Says you've been a bad boy this year.....No new DRs for you!!! homer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff In a post sometime back you favored Krieghoff over Heym,Chapius,Merkel,etc.Changed your mind?

DRSS

Posts: 41 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned Heym's in 500/416 and 375 H&H, Merkels 416 Rigby 30-06 and 9.3x74R, Searcy in 470 N.E., Chapuis in 9.3x74R, for me the Heym's fit me the best and seem to be the best balanced DR's I've shot, again, it's personal, personal, personal, so now I own a Heym in 500 N.E. and a very happy camper. I've had issues with some of my DR's over the years it's manmade and crap happens at times even with the highest grade DR's, bolt guns, lever actions and single shots.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
PS - I had talk with Santa.....Says you've been a bad boy this year.....No new DRs for you!!! homer

Bummer dude...How about some elephant hunting? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff In a post sometime back you favored Krieghoff over Heym,Chapius,Merkel,etc.Changed your mind?

Oops, I did leave out the mighty K-guns....No change in mind really other than what I have always found to be a sticking point on them - no ejectors. Those minimilast actions and design simplicity are very desireable traits - yet to see one that was not accurate. The day Dieter comes up with an ejector version... beer

I also like the fact that they seem to have mastered the medium & Big bore 2 barrel set combo package better than anybody out there....The .300 & .470 combo I saw once made total sense for the traveling hunter and that is most likely why in the past I have praised them as well...500/.416 well, that says it all!

Zambezi: I'm sort of like a kid in a candy shop when it comes to DRs...I like to keep things friendly, let's just put it that way. thumb

JW out

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bummer dude...How about some elephant hunting?

Surestrike,

You want to hunt Elephants? shocker Shame on you....Haven't you heard they are endangered lol

JW out

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff-I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to doubles too.A broke kid.BTW,I just got my utlity belt set from T.H.C. yesterday and it is just perfect.Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a cartridge belt.

DRSS

Posts: 41 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Bummer dude...How about some elephant hunting?

Surestrike,

You want to hunt Elephants? shocker Shame on you....Haven't you heard they are endangered lol

JW out

After watching you in the latest video I'd say that they are now a bit more endangered than before. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff-I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to doubles too.A broke kid.BTW,I just got my utlity belt set from T.H.C. yesterday and it is just perfect.Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a cartridge belt.

Way cool...Glad you like it....Thanks for the biz....you'll love thing even more once you get into the field!

Thanks again,

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After watching you in the latest video I'd say that they are now a bit more endangered than before.

Dang'd right! BOOM

But, don't think that me and a seriously committed army of clones could put a dent in them given our methodical process....

JW out

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff, I did not know K-Mart was making double guns... animal

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

After watching you in the latest video I'd say that they are now a bit more endangered than before. Wink

No kidding! Jeff is pretty hard on buffalo too. He did pass on a PAC buffalo in Dande in September so I got to shoot it instead.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote