THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Opinions wanted for scope/sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions wanted for scope/sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy All.

I'm taking a Krieghoff Big 5 in .470 NE to Zim this summer for buffalo and tuskless ele.

Okay, I know it is blasphemy to scope it but given my vision it is either that or use my Dakota .416 Rigby and I just plain want to use a double rifle. I have taken a Cape buffalo with a double .470 before, by the way. I could mount my Leupold 1.5-6x20 on it but I want something smaller.

So, given that it is either a scope or some other optical sight or no double rifle, what are your thoughts of:

(1) the new Leupold 1 x 14 Prismatic scope
(2) the EOTech 512 sight
(3) the Zeiss Z-Point
(4) the Trijicon Tri Power
(5) any others

Thanks.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
How about something like

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
That is what I'm talkin' about...is that the Burris?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Aren't you suppose to put them on "Safe?"

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the little Leupold at SCI and SHOT. Looks like it could be a slick setup with one ring. I'm going to try it as soon as my 450-400 is done

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Dang, if I had eyes like Bill I would not need a scope.

I ordered the Leupold Prismatic last June when it was announced and I saw it in Reno at the SCI convention and I like it, although it is expensive at $500. Trouble is the release date has been delayed and it might not be available until late summer, too late for me.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
PS,

There sure isn't anything wrong with using a scope if you need one.

My choice would be the leupold.

But just about anything you've mentioned would work just dandy.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the Burris on a Kreighoff.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Does it matter which way the Burris is mounted? Dumb question but I have never seen or used one.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to the mounting of the Burris as well. Is there a weaver style base that fits in the rib cut-out and the Burris mounted on that or what? And, where to you find the mounting bases?

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Hey there, I don't know about LRH's set up, but I bought a Weaver base that fits into the rib cutout on the Krieghoff. It is 4 inches long and has three cross slots. I can't remember the name of the place I found it, someplace in Texas. I can look it up if anyone wants to know.

I think it was Eurogun Imports that sold the Weaver base; they used to advertise on GunsAmerica.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
I can look it up if anyone wants to know.

I think it was Eurogun Imports that sold the Weaver base; they used to advertise on GunsAmerica.

Yeah, I want to know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Hey there, I don't know about LRH's set up, but I bought a Weaver base that fits into the rib cutout on the Krieghoff. It is 4 inches long and has three cross slots. I can't remember the name of the place I found it, someplace in Texas. I can look it up if anyone wants to know.

Yeah, I want to know too.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Here is the contact information for Eurogun. The base was $230, which is pretty spendy but a lot less than the alternative which would be a scope mount from Krieghoff.

Charles E. Prince
President
Eurogun Imports, Inc.
11001 S. Wilcrest Dr., Ste. 200
Houston Texas 77099 USA
www.EurogunImports.com

Tele: 281-568-0487
Fax: 281-568-2323
Cell: 281-650-1801

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

Seems like one could buy a long Weaver base and have it fitted for less than that. But will have to see.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
It's not mine; that's Don Heath's rifle, but I think he had a weaver base on it to hold the Burris.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sight in the picture posted from Les is a Burris fastfire. Would probably choose the Trijicon version over the Burris.- Both can be had with mount for a standard weaver rail.

To mount, I simply took a short length of weaver rail (intended for a TC) and cut to fit the slot in the rib on the Krieghoff.

Have tried the Leupold - great unit - but eye relief was a little too short for me. I have a very mobile shoulder and even mounted on a .375 the Leopold kissed my eyebrow a couple of times.

The Trijicon ACOG is also very good and can survive a single position mount. The reflex and EOTECH units that were sent out for review in the Magazine (Inyathi issue -vol3 of 2007) Needed a much longer mounting rail.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Don,

Why would you choose the Trijicon over the Burris? It seems that the Burris (and the similar Trijicon Doctor) are small and simple, and both 1X power.

Do you have the 4 MOA dot on the Burris? For close work it would seem that a larger dot would be better. But having never used one, I do not know how obvious the 4 MOA dot is compared to others. It seems like it would be too small for minute-of-buffalo work.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I favour the Swarovski 1,25-4x24 "battue" scopes. Here are the 2 I own :

With circle dot reticle, in claw mounts on my FN-Browning 9,3x74R

With illuminated reticle 4 on my Blaser 9,3x62

For running game (drive hunting) and from 5 to 75 m, I always use the scope set on 2 power.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello PSmith,

I have a Krieghoff in 470, I made a custom weaver rail that uses the rear factory mount.
I have mounted the Docter 4 MOA red dot and took a Hog down in FL with it. I also have the Trijicon 1.25X4 scope (very light and strong).
I am still sighting the scope in, but so far have no issues. As to the question of putting a scope on a double, Our ethical duty is to make the best shot possible and bring the quarry down fast and clean, any tool that facilitates this outcome should not be frowned upon ! Just my 2c.
Regards

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
As long as we are at it, I want to jump back to the idea of using an unscoped double for buffalo. I would think this perfectly fine as long as you are close enough to shoot it acccurately.

The thing I would worry about is trying to shoot a buff in the last hour of the last day, and taking a chancy shot. Or that 44" buff is standing 75 or 100 yards away and no chance of getting closer. Are you going to take a chance anyway, even if you are not comfortable with that distance? I have made a couple questionable shots on buff with an unscoped double just for the sake of using a double rifle. I'm quite sure that they were not very wise choices.

If you want to shoot anything with your double, use it up close on the elephant. It would be my recommendation to use your scoped bolt-action on buff. The secret to shooting buff is that first, accurate shot.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Bill, I agree with you 100 %. I am taking the Dakota .416 Rigby with a Leupold 1.5-6x20 illuminated scope as well in case I have a shot just as you describe...a big buffalo at over 50 yards. The only guy that won't like the plan is the tracker who will have to carry the Dakota while I carry the Krieghoff, but I'll take care of him at "tip time".

I sure the heck don't want to see the buffalo of my dreams standing just out of double rifle range and not have a backup so that I can reach out and touch him.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will

The Trijicon RedDot sight is very similar to the Burris - same size and mounting system. After the tests carried out for the African Hunter Magazine I bought a Burris for my own use. After a dozen rounds it ceased to hold it's zero. I then purloined the one sent out for the magazine tests. This one lasted the rest of the season, but has now started to have a wondering Zero. The trijicon is still working fine.

Have one of the original firepoints (made in the UK) that was the precessor of the Doctor. It still lives on my 9,3 a decade later.

Dot size. Have found the 4 MOA perfect for my own use- but I have very good eyesight- and often use the 9,3 for shooting impala at ranges out to 150m so a small dot is very useful. For use on just big game? I don't need a bigger dot and prefer the "apparent" increase in accuracy of shot placement offered by the smaller dot.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Heath:
For use on just big game? I don't need a bigger dot and prefer the "apparent" increase in accuracy of shot placement offered by the smaller dot.

Every once in awhile you sneek in a nugget of wisdom. That statement is another to add to the list. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Why not try the new AIMPOINT® MICRO H-1 red dot scope?

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote