THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    US/Canadian Maker of Second Set of BBLS?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US/Canadian Maker of Second Set of BBLS?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I recently won an auction bid on a very nice H&H Dominion in 303 Brit. I have been thinking about having a second set of BBLS builtin 375 Flanged Mag and before all of the HOOHAA over exporting guns from US....for return I was going to go to Hambrusch in Austria.

Is there any quality gunmakers in US or Canada who have built BBL sets in US or Canada and could be recommended to take on a job like this?

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are very few folks in the US qualified to properly fit a set of double rifle barrels. Several due come to mind. I just finished fitting a set of NOS AH Fox shotgun barrels. It can be done but it is a very costly proposition. It is possible in the British trade as well but again cost is a killer. I just spoke with a Holland trained barrel maker who now works in the trade and he mentioned that at 10K GBP he could not make money on the job. Something to think about.

Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
JJ at Champlins can and will make you a set of barrels and they will be fitted as well as anyone anywhere. He will not build a set of barrels for a double chambered for a round that is above the proofing of the original chambering.

His barrel set are about $7K + cost of ammo to regulate them.

Give JJ a call. He will tell you anything you want to know about the exact cost if there has been any change. His price list is also on the Champlin's website as well.

........................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Check out Dirk Shemmil on the board he post as H2oboy. He might have a good idea, or might be able to do the work. He is a craftsman. Ken Owen can do the work, he is in TN. Aaron Little post here too he might have some ideas too. Nicholas Mankinson (in Canada) can do the work, I have seen some of his work and it is very goo. Of course JJ in OK, probably could do it also.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple double rifle barrel sets made by JJ Perodeau.
One set was for an H&H. They looked better than original H&H barrels.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
JJ, Mackinson, Searcy, Owen. All can do the work and do it well.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Dirk would be my first choice to call.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out Aaron Little who posts here as well.

Dutch

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman,

Thank you for your generous sharing of recommendations! Extremely helpful. I had already spoken with Ken Owen who claims to be retiring and working on his own stable of guns, and Aaron Little who cautiously declined as the job being a bit over his head yet.

I did not know that JJ did full barrel sets and of course I have known him for years and have great respect for him. I will call him.

I had not heard of Dirk Schimmel previously and have now found his contact information on the web with your guidance. I will call him.

I did know Nick Mankinson's name and have seen complete guns but did not know his status. His website is live and encouraging contacts with a US point of mailing for work to be picked up and returned from....avoiding the Export issues! Great contact as well.

My pursuit will begin next week....I think this will be a great project and finally I will have a 375 Flanged Mag....with proper iron sights and blocks for an optical sight as well!

Thanks Again!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Please note that JJ is no longer at Champlins. He has relocated to Sand Springs, OK. His new number is 580-747-1805

http://jjperodeau.com/

Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Steve, this was my eaxact response to your asking me about the project many weeks ago

"I would most certainly like to do that work on the H&H.

It may or may not be possible to do a .375 on your .303, it just depends on how large the action is. If you have a set of dial calipers you can measure the barrel wall thickness of the .303 barrels at the breach, that will tell me if its possible to do the .375 safely. The difference at the base of the cartridges(not rim)is .057", not much. To get proper balance in the rifle it may be a little light overall compared to most .375's. Hard to say without seeing it."

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for JJ's contact info....I will be in touch next week!

Cheers,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
Sorry about that....I thought we discussed this when talking about the last project rifle you had and that you didn't seem keen on that work?? My Apologies on that one!!

I will do some measurements this afternoon when I get back from the local gunshow and e-mail them to you, then we can discuss.

Clearly I have not made any decisions yet!

Again, my apologies for the foggy recollections of our discussions.

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Dominions are known for being pretty beefy actions. The .303 dominion action I have now is large enough to do a .375

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...ask RALF MARTINI, a great gunsmith.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Ralf yesterday, matter of fact, on another subject. I did ask him if he did that kind of work and he said he didn't work on doubles! He is an outstanding gunmaker....I expect the quality of Hartman & Weiss?? I really like the Martini version of the HEYM bolt rifle...very classic.

Cheers,

470EDDY