New
Find
Notify
Tools

All this talk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
about a double rifle, PMs from John the Greek, Buzzs dvd on elephant hunting, reading Boddingtons "African Rifles", sorta has me looking at a 450/400. But really what will it do that a 416 or 404 won't do for thousands less????

sofa BTW I most likely won't buy a double but that doesn't stop me from lusting Big Grin

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mark,

That is the question I am trying to answer..I can tell you this I can get off accurate shots in 2 seconds with a 450#2..softs and or solids...
Buying a 450/400 gives you a geat pig rifle down south...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
Boddingtons "African Rifles", sorta has me looking at a 450/400. But really what will it do that a 416 or 404 won't do for thousands less????

Big Grin

Nothing unless you need a second, aimed, shot real quickly! Big Grin

Come on buy yourself a double rifle, you will never regret it! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 416 bolt + a 470 N.E. dbl. + I still want a 450/400.That will most likely be my next purchase.If justification is necessary,the follow up shot is quick + it would make an exellent hog gun.I have'nt read Boddington's book,however John Taylor's "African Rifles + Cartridges"has several pages of possitive acclaim for this calibre.When I bought my 470,I was actually looking at 450/400 Jeffrey,but ended up getting the 470.If I had it to do over again,I would hold out for the 450.I think it more versital for this continent.Of corse,I really like the idea of having both.Can't take it with you,remember.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Sometimes in life you have an epiphany or two. I had already owned and hunted with double rifles some when I went on my first elephant hunt. I thought doubles were cool, had nostolgia appeal and they made you look good with one over your shoulder.. the effete snob that I am.. Roll Eyes

I learned better. I was ten or twelve yards from a bunch of tons of animal when I took a heart shot at a bull moving pretty rapidly. Within a second or so from the first shot, without even thinking about it, I'd put a follow-up through the bulls shoulder, dumping him right then... A light bulb went on. That was satisfying. Damn, I thought, there is a reason for these darn expensive things. Boom! Boom! about as fast as you can say it. They are hellaciously effective tools.

What would have happened if I hadn't had the immediate second shot.. who knows, but I know that it stopped that elephant instanter
as we say in the legal profession.

My second DG epiphany was when buffalo hunting with a double this past summer. I found that I was too darn old to see and accuractely shoot a buffalo with iron sights through 50 yards of jess. I need a scope. I am old. My fighter pilot eyes have gone to seed and made me mortal. I can't see for doo-doo. Have you ever tried to shoot iron sights with trifocals?

My third epiphany was when Butch Searcy showed me his new Classic model with a QD scope mounting system. Bingo... While I'll never need a scope for elephant because I won't shoot one (or at least won't willingly) past 20 or so yards, when it's buffalo time, a 1.5x5 Leupold will certainly "part" the brush and find a buffalo's shoulder for my tired eyes.

So.. then, what caliber. I chose the .400 Jeffery (.450/400 3") because the gun can be a pound lighter than a .470. It will penetrate with the best and has real uses in the U.S.A.... particularly if I can get a 1600 fps load to regulate with lead bullets... and looking at ballistic charts... I see no reason why one shouldn't be able to hit a deer at 150 to 200 yards with my new purchase when using 2150 fps loads... it lumbers out there just like a big fat .30/30.

So, I'm just awaiting for Butch to do his magic.. and in the meantime, a bolt rifle will have to do.. but Lord do I like that quick "thump, thump"! You will, too. It's addictive.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote