Find
Notify
Tools

HORNADY'S AT IT AGAIN!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
squib loading their 450NE 3.25". Just shot six out of a new box and the chronographed at 1997-2007 fps....And of COURSE, no refunds... Mad

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Please help me understand.
Without knowing the velocity you expected (or H advertised) can you share the bullet weight and their advertised velocity?

BTW, what you going to hunt with that caliber?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good velocity range but not good velocity!

Not cheap either I expect.

DRSS

Posts: 1916 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on Jorge, you’ve flown some of the most complex and expensive fighter planes the US Navy possesses, and did it off of a friggin’ boat! Get a set of dies and reload them like you want them, you can do it! Much less expensive, too.
And thank you for you years of service.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2811 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Karl, you bet I reload! I was just trying to get a "benchmark" velocity with the new DGX bonded. I've posted LOTS of pics of targets here of my reloads and the VC shoots sweet. The rifle was regulated with Hornady factory stuff (the only folks who make them commercially nowadays) and those were "ok" around 2080. These bonded DGXs are dribbling out at barely 200 fps. Hornady book has the max load of H4831 at 94.1 gr, and even that gets you to maybe 2040. Wright's book and others as well as my testing shows 97-98 gr of H-4831 gets you in the 2130 plus range (with 25" tubes and most loads are tested with 28" barrels). Today I got the DGX to 2130 but a bit vertical (still about 2"), so the sweet spot appears to be 2080. In the end though, I'll probably stick with the Woodleighs at around 2100. And my best to "Red", see you guys in a couple of months Smiler

CR; the rifle is a Verney Carron 450NE 3.25" that I will EVENTUALLY hope to take another buffalo.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Well, you can always take your Winchester 1895 .405 WCF with 300 grain NF loaded to 2250 and do the deed!

Remember in our .458 bullets tests on ele frontal brain shots, 450 gr NF and Punch at 2000 fps both shot through the brain and skull and on into the body from 20 yards.
Or, you could just use the old reliable 400 grain Woodies at just under 2100 fps and take your buffalo.

I am confident that you will blast that bovine with whatever blaster you use-- good hunting.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw...I was just messin’ with you. We are looking forward to seeing you and your better half, let me know if I can do anything for you.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2811 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OR!!! You could work up a load with the CEB bullets that will perform WAY better than the Hornady stuff.
Just my .02

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1100 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I agree with Hogbreath... cut the crap Hornady and use CEB bullets. Reload with Vithavouri N140 or N160 using the Hornady brass.I can give you the data if you want. These loads worked very well on buff and tuskless..

Morten

Ps

My VC 450 NE is for sale if anyone should be interested...

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Guys, I've done the CEB gig A LOT as well. I guess I'm not doing a very good job of explaining myself. The object of this exercise was to figure out why my rifle's regulation changed and nothing more and since it was regulated at the factory with Hornadys, that is the baseline.
There are also other factors, my eyes aren't what they used to be and other psysyological factors like weight loss affected rifle fit. If I were to go hunting tomorrow, Woodleighs would be my choice, but there is nothing wrong with the new batch of bonded DGX and their solids have always been good. Morten I think you and I have shared loads, but yes I'd love to see what your loads are. Jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, they're made especially for Merkels, so the doubling isn't so painful :-)

Posts: 20130 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Jorge, they're made especially for Merkels, so the doubling isn't so painful :-)

makes perfect sense!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Tried a new box gents and the clocked around 2050 and the solids went 2070 which is realistic if you apply Graham's formula of 25 fps velocity loss/inch of barrel. My barrels are 25" and Hornady used 28" barrels. Now a question, if I was loading to say, 2120-30 fps with 480gr bullets and 2175 with 450gr bullets would those be considered too hot (thus causing excessive wear through higher pressure?).

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

I got a VC 450/400 this year and it was allegedly regulated with Hornady ammo. I bought a few boxes of Hornady ammo and I got two different lots on the same order. They group great per barrel but the barrels are shooting 8 inches (or more) apart at 50 yds. I had Safari Arms load me one of their sample boxes and every 4 round sample shot from good to great. I talked to Hornady and the tech told me their lots are "pretty consistent". I told him my issue and he said they try and keep velocity "around" 2000fps and do use different powders from lot to lot sometimes. I ordered a set of dies and I will be pulling the bullets to reload the ammo I have left.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, Ranger. I've always loaded my own stuff but decided to buy the Hornady ammo just to see if it had changed (it had) and to ensure my rifle was ok (it is). The issue as I suspected was a different powder lot. I tried a few loads with the IMR 4831 and Woodleighs and they were right at 1"@50 with a MV of 2120. J

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Your Killing Me dancing

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was an inside joke. Jorge personally keeps track every time he learns of a Merkel doubling. It's his hot button :-)

Posts: 20130 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just doing a public service, Biebs, I do the same with 700s, now THERE is the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on gun owners!

All kidding aside, it now makes sense when new DR buyers claim their new guns don't regulate if they were initially regulated with Hornady ammo. A 60 plus FPS difference in the ammo from whatever was used to regulate and what the gun owner buys, will make this an issue.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Just doing a public service, Biebs, I do the same with 700s, now THERE is the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on gun owners!

All kidding aside, it now makes sense when new DR buyers claim their new guns don't regulate if they were initially regulated with Hornady ammo. A 60 plus FPS difference in the ammo from whatever was used to regulate and what the gun owner buys, will make this an issue.

If they are using different powders from lot to lot, not only is the velocity variation a problem, but even more so, the acceleration rate to reach those velocities!!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range and IMR 4831 is giving me pretty good regulation and very consistent velocities; 2120,23,22,20 with 300gr Woodleighs.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
There will be a lot of buffalo, Hippo, Lions and a few elephant killed with those 2000 FPS loads I suspect..The early English loads were under 2000 fps, around 1800 give or take 50 FPS. but like you I prefer at least 2100 fps wit any nitro express round in a double, that said I have had great luck with a 470 at 2020 fps average with a 500 gr. bullet..sounds like you got a bad batch on that first bunch, but who would risk anther for DG, I don't want 1700 to 1800 fps even on elk or deer for that matter...buy brass and roll yer own is always the best route..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41953 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote