New
Find
Notify
Tools

pedersoli dr.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have often wondered why there isnt more interest in the pedersoli as an entry dr. it seems it is a well made dr. for the money. if more punch is wanted you can go for the 45- 110 or less the 9.3-74r or 8x57r. the hammers dont distract from it[imo]. this sabatti has sure given rise to a lot of speculation. my first dr. was a pedersoli guns west for 600.00 [used] and have been more than happy with it. i have added to my dr. collection but still turn to the gun west for a fun gun to shoot. just a humble opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a love hate relationship with pedersoli.

The stuff all look super in the catalog, but in person the attention to detail is can be a little dismal. I went out with cash in pocket to buy on the Howdah double pistols last week. Picked one up and see a big gaping space between the rear of the barrels and the frame. Put it down and walked away. Another disappointment are their vernier sights for the sharps, awful.

The double rifle big cosmetic turn off is the rear sights. that plus the requlation sounds like a crap shoot.

Then there is the difficulty hunting with a hammar double in general. I like them, but I struggle with them. I have a hammar double shot gun and its either carry it with 2 chambers on full cock, no safety or try and bring the gun up while cocking both bbls. Well forget it. I have never killed a single bird with that shotgun. I have had very good success with cheep H&R hammar shotgun. I can cock it and shoulder if very fast. But 2 bbls with stubby little hammars, no luck. A few tenths second difference is all it takes with an upland gun.

You use the phrase "entry level", I bought and sold enough mistakes, that, I never buy a gun that I already know upfront I am going to want to sell later for something of higher quality.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I think the pedersoli have gotten good reviews by the guys here. My guess is that there really is'nt that many of them floating around out there compared to the other brands.

I think the Pedersoli is a very good gun for the money. What you might keep in mind though is that the double rifle crowd are the guys who are willing to pay more money to get the quality or feachers they want. Since the pedersoli is at the lower end of the cost scale it attracts fewer double rifle guys if that makes since.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i hear you i never found myself in the position to justify $10,000 for a gun. but maybe if i was blessed with surplus finances in that catagory i would probably indulge myself in the purchase of such a gun.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
When you could pick them up on the auction sites for $1500-2000 you saw more posts about them. When the price of a new one rose to be on par with hammerless offerings you started to see less about them.

Search "Pedersoli" here and you should find a lot of info.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first DR was a Pedersoli in 8X57 JRS. I guess I got lucky; mine was nicely made and shot beautifully and had only one rear sight unlike some of the 45/70's. It was fun, and nice to look at. The only downside to me was the weight. Heavy or not, I still wish I hadn't sold it.
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at Cabelas online, the Pedersoli 45/70 double is $4000! That is way too high.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like i said i paid 600.00 for mine used at the time they were going for 1600.00 . i still have it and enjoy it. i have since replaced the 2 rear sights with a single express sight. it shoots side by side under 2 inches @ 70 meters. if i was to pay 4000.00 for an entree dr. i certainly would look at the likes of the sabatii. in lew of a pedosoli. i do have other dr's that i have been fortune enough to run into at a very reasonable price. but at the time i bought the pedersoli i couldnt imagine owning a jp sauer or the likes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So; if I could find one for $600, I might get interested too. I guess you did not know they had climbed that high. Triple the cost.

Do they now cost 3x as much to make? I don't think so. At $4000, same POS rear sight, not even a token improvement.

Apparently that's what the market will bear, just like how Federal and Norma price their big ammo. Rather than ask why Pedersoli does not get more interest - one might ask: "what kind of person will bend over for a Pedersoli DR"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very good take on pedersoli. that said i have often wondered why they never persued a finer dr. they have the tooling and at the time there was a genuine interest in a reasonable priced quality dr. myself i wanted one and this fit the bill at the time. that was a hard 600.00 at the time. since that purchase i acquired a couple quality doubles. but in all fairness i enjoy shooting the pedersoli.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is one for 2500. in Gunsamerica

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a 45/70 with a single rear sight. It has nice wood, browned barrels, case color fitting and action; it is a very attractive rifle. Too heavy by a couple of pounds, but for deer or pig hunting, it isn't the end of the world (as it would be for elephant hunting!)

I have other doubles that run up to about $50k, and while there is no comparison, the Pedersoli makes a good showing for the $'s, even at $4k. BTW, don't recall what I paid, but less than that!

Haven't gotten around to shooting it with the ammo with which it was supposededly regulated - Remington 405's, which were for some reason hard to get for a while, but the former owner tells me it shoots very well, and I have no reason to doubt him.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote