New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hallowell & Co.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The owner has my old 500-450/3 1/4" double up for sale (Hambrusch) and since he's not interested in the reloaded ammo or dies for same......need some suggestions to find a new owner for the ammo. Have about 200 rounds of solids and softnose. And yes, I understand the 'goosey' feeling of shooting another's reloads. I shot close to a hundred rounds myself and the rifle shoots a 3" group at 100. yards. Shame to not get them into another's hands.

Posts: 25 | Location: 2407 Regan Ave. Boise, Id. | Registered: 20 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would be interested, but somebody beat me to that DR on Saturday.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Replying w/o investigation.....I was told that Hallowell himself, would list the price at $8K by himself yet later after advertising the rifle on his website I saw that he had it listed at 10K. Understand, I'm not complaining, just stating the facts as one man says to another. You do as you say.....from times gone by but not revelent to today's business ethics.

I know there are at least 200 doubles for sale on the internet and thought 8k would get the piece sold. Sure I could have done that myself but this was an estate sale and I wanted out of the entire deal....bad reflections from the original owner who was I'm sure was guilty of poaching in Africa.

Posts: 25 | Location: 2407 Regan Ave. Boise, Id. | Registered: 20 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could have poached that double from you for $8k ....

Sorry to hear of the mix up.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where this thread is going, but I bought a used K gun in 500/416 from Morris. Excelent transaction (from the buyers perspective). I have had occasion to correspond with him about that transaction and he keeps excellent records and has been very helpful.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I did not have such luck as you,I thought I was buying a 500/416 as well,but somehow it did not happen at the last minute,another AR member has it now,he paid an extra 500,I was dissapointed to say the least,but business is business you can't make everybody happy,that is life!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill73, you seem to be be very understanding. However, if you had an agreement to sell/buy, then that should have been honored. I assume this was not an auction!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fact that I have no proof of the sale price makes me very careful of what I say. The difference b/t what I was told the price would be and the listed price would have brought me another 500 bucks with the commission that was charged. So leave it at that.

I must say that he has a great Leonard Mews in the 'new arrivals' that came from me and it's a great piece. Take a look...very unusual.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That Leonard Mews is an interesting looking rifle isn't it? Nice wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have known Morris for many years and have previously had transactions with him in the past. He is one of the "good guys", in my opinion and has always been brutally honest. He is one of the few that will give you an honest description of any gun he is selling. If you are not satisfied, he will cheerfully return your money. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I admire honesty in a big way. I have yet to call him and will and I hope he is as you said.

It's hard to understand why he'd tell me the price would be 8 grand and then I see it on his web site for 10 grand. Since I can do nothing about it in reality, I went to school.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
another AR member has it now,he paid an extra 500

Bill; You make it sound like I offered him $500.00 over your offer. Fact is I paid less then the asking price. My "I'll take it" came in ahead of yours as you used e-mail and I used a cell phone.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure I understand the tone of this thread,

I have purchased two firearms from the Hallowell firm in the past. One was an Austrian D"Schulnig 470 double and its little brother, a 16 x 16 x 8/57 Jr Drilling. I thoroughly appreciated their professional and honest dealings and would highly recommend them.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I to am missing it. Did you sell Hallowell the gun for 8k and he offered for 10. I sold a double through him and he offered me a lesser number if i wanted fast cash and I said no and he sold it later and I paid him his fee and he sent me a check. He was honest with me and I would do it again.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
OK,thanks for clearing that up.
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
quote:
another AR member has it now,he paid an extra 500

Bill; You make it sound like I offered him $500.00 over your offer. Fact is I paid less then the asking price. My "I'll take it" came in ahead of yours as you used e-mail and I used a cell phone.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've decided to not ask why I was told one price and he didn't stick with it. I have to say there is a big difference b/t asking price and selling price. Maybe he asked 10k and would go as low as 8k. Maybe that was it. I sold him the double and two other customs for cash BTW and I'm not complaining so much as telling my experience.

He seemed to me to be a straight shooter and he has a great gun room too.