THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Euro Drops Again; Impact on DR Prices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Euro Drops Again; Impact on DR Prices?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Here is what I want to know; (I am not an economist although I have taken several classes in it).
The Euro just dropped to it's lowest level in several years, about 25 percent lower than 5 or 6 years ago.
Double rifle prices from the Eurozone, however, continue to rise; not reflecting a dollar to Euro change at all.
Why is this? I keep waiting for Heyms to drop to a reasonable price level- in line with the other makers like Merkel and Chapuis, but it ain't happening. None of them are dropping; they rise.
I guess I am missing something.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supply and demand?

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unbridled greed would be my guess...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm; hand crafted luxury items are not usually affected by supply and demand like mass produced goods are; they cost about the same amount to make no matter what the demand is, given enough demand to cover fixed costs. BUT, on the other hand, a rise in demand could prompt makers to keep prices steady, in dollars, regardless of what the Euro does. This needs an Econ case study by a grad student.
I think demand has been steady over the past 6 years though. Greed? Most likely.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
One must also think of current owners. If the factory reduces the cost(us dollar)of all models, current owners would then be automatically loosing value on their rifles.

Introducing a new model is a different story.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Taxes in Europe
It's simply predatory overthere
They are the greediest politicians/liberals there
That's Europe for ya

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They aint gonna get any cheaper. Buy what you want now and enjoy it.
None of us are getting any younger.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Those $7500 Merkels (NIB) posted a couple weeks ago argue against your point. I think the Euro at 1.10 or better in coming years is a decent possibility so look for pretty stagnant new rifle prices over 2015-2016.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good point on the Merks but they have always been good values.

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Buy the gun in Europe using Euros purchased with strong dollars. If you are looking for the US Heym or Merkel dealer to drop their prices you are wasting your time. Check out Frankonian or any of the other major sporting retailers.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
Buy the gun in Europe using Euros purchased with strong dollars. If you are looking for the US Heym or Merkel dealer to drop their prices you are wasting your time. Check out Frankonian or any of the other major sporting retailers.

How would a person order a Heym built to their specifications through a company like Frankonian?
PS: Cant even find Frankonian doing a google search

Even if you did get a discount the flight to Europe would eat up any savings. Just order the rifle from Chris and be done with it. My Heym is the only double I own that will never be sold unless my physical condition changes and I am unable to shoot it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Waffen Frankonia; it is not hard to import rifles from Germany.
So, what I hear is that the US importers are the ones gobbling up the benefits from the low Euro.
What I see is that the Euro dropped 25 percent and the prices did not; someone is getting the difference and it is not the consumer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
Have you contacted Chris at Heym for a firm price quote?

Sometimes its not as easy as you think. I didn't see any people bitching when the Euro was pretty high and Heym prices didn't go up.

Its called price stability. You dont see Mercedes, Audi, or any other of the big ticket builders changing their prices every time the euro/dollar changes.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not lately but his prices did not materially change over the past 6 years as the Euro was falling. I am just doing math; the Euro goes down against the dollar. The goods are priced in Euros. I should be able to buy more of them. And prices should not be stable unless the Euro is pegged against the dollar like the Chinese Yuan is. Stuff from China never goes up or down.
Cars are different; they are supported by a network of importers and dealers; they aren't built to order. And I am also sure that someone is benefiting from the exchange rate difference; it is just not the consumer. I used to import parts from Italy; we paid in Euros and the price changed all the time.

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:

How would a person order a Heym built to their specifications through a company like Frankonian?
PS: Cant even find Frankonian doing a google search

Even if you did get a discount the flight to Europe would eat up any savings. Just order the rifle from Chris and be done with it. My Heym is the only double I own that will never be sold unless my physical condition changes and I am unable to shoot it.

Its a big world out there, try google.de for a german search engine, the translate this page function will help as well. If you can't find your rifle, look for a "heym dopple buchs" or double rifle. You can order anything made in Europe through a major retailers like Frankonia. If you are looking for a truly bespoke rifle then you are going to need to get on a plane. I was under the impression that ordering a Heym from Heym USA you were looking for a typical export rifle.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that seems to be the way to go; I have bought rifles from Germany but they were used ones. It is not that hard to do; just need some paperwork approved at both ends. And a few months wait. With a monopoly like Krieghoff and Heym USA. it is impossible to know what the rifles actually cost and what the profit actually is. I hate that the middlemen are soaking up all the savings derived from monetary exchange rates, but it is a free market economy. The Merkel deals might be an exception. Anyway, I was just curious how others viewed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stuff that is already here won't change, but maybe a year from now, you may see some difference.
Took that long when the Cdn buck went up to the par area. They don't waste any time when it drops against the US buck though. Same way from over there. You want the new exchange advantage, buy new orders over there, not off the shelf stock over here.This kind of stuff doesn't move that fast off the shelves over here, 99% of it was at the old exchange rate and was paid for at that rate. I expect the Merkel prices are an on hand stock dump.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Some years ago I was involved in trying to make a buck marketing Heym firearms in the US. I faced a similar problem as Chris, except in reverse. This was prior to the adoption of the Euro and Germany was still using the Deutschmark. My problem was determining the price structure for the year with a weak falling dollar against a strong rising DM. What I really wanted to do was use the menu approach and print "market price" on the price lists. Unfortunately, the customers did not like that approach. Added, they were reluctant to order a rifle with a few months lead time without a firm delivery price. I don't blame them, but my dilemma was guessing what the conversion rate might be 90 days or so later. Sometimes I guessed correctly and made a buck or two. Other times, my guess missed the mark (no pun intended) and I made nothing or even lost a buck or two. Currency fluctuations are very difficult to predict, if not impossible. Perhaps Chris might earn back what he lost when the Euro was going in the other direction against the dollar. I'm here to tell you that I lost a lot of sleep due to fluctuations in the value of the DM against the USD.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Makes a lot of sense; bear in mind that I have nothing against any importer or dealer trying to make money. My question and comments are not directed at anyone at all. I just have to save money wherever I can and the Euro drop looks like a good place to do it. What I really want is to order another Chapuis; they should be less than the past couple of years.