Find
Notify
Tools

8x57JRS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, have been giving some thought to picking up a new double (SXS or O/U) in 8X57JRS. Anyone have one? How do you like it? Suggestions as to Chapuis, VC, Heym, Merkel? I guess I am really partial to the Chapuis. What weight bullet should I have it regulated with... 196 Norma? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would ask the maker's direct as they will know the weights. Also I'd check what velocity the factory loads for those weights give. As in some jurisdictions (BRITAIN FOR EXAMPLE WHERE IT IS 2,450fps FOR DEER WITH ANY BULLET OF ANY WEIGHT) minimum velocity requirements may be mandated!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a Heym Mod 26B O/U in 8x57JRS, with 198gr bullets.

It is just like my 30/30 only more powerful. The 8x57JRS is a great hunting cartridge.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I have an o/u 8x57r. Have only done load work with it (no hunting yet). Pushing the 198s @ 2400 f/21" bbls. 1-1.5" @100 reliably. Shoots quite well at 200 also.

Great calliber for most anything you'll likely encounter and sure to be a favorite in a small double.

Also, i use standard 8x57 dies... No need to pay a premium for the much more expensive 8x57r dies.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, i use standard 8x57 dies... No need to pay a premium for the much more expensive 8x57r dies.

Good to know!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to be aware of is to insure the dies you are buying are set up for .323 bullets. There seems to be conflicting info on the 8mm where as some of the older guns shot a .318 bullet and now the newer ones use a .323.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave
The 8x57JRS would be great in a double low recoil and wonderful hunting round.The 196 or 198 are the normal in 8mm.The guys are right the regular 8x57JS dies are all you need just a bigger shell holder,I use the shell holder for a belted magnum to load 6.5x57R.As to the issue of .318 or .323 diameters the JS means it is .323. Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Brady:
Dave
The 8x57JRS would be great in a double low recoil and wonderful hunting round.The 196 or 198 are the normal in 8mm.The guys are right the regular 8x57JS dies are all you need just a bigger shell holder,I use the shell holder for a belted magnum to load 6.5x57R.As to the issue of .318 or .323 diameters the JS means it is .323. Bill

JS and JRS are both .323, JR is .318

You don have to worry about any rifle made in the last 50 years being .318 but if your not sure how old your rifle is slugg the barrel!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8mm would be fine in a Blaser Duo, that gives you some mid range capability.

The fixed barrel asseblies are ok for African rifles where you know that you shoot on short range on large target.

Up to 9,3mm the Blaser is great only because its accuracy. With all other DR you are limited to 100m and less.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Here's the Chapuis:

http://www.chapuis-armes.com/s...e-rifles/67-c15.html

What do you think?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I think the barrels go the wrong way. Big Grin sofa

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The UGEX SXS is available in 8X57 also. $4400 IIRC

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kodiak in 8x57JRS, little brother to the 9.3X74R I got from Mike Brooks. Shoots nice.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've taken deer,caribou,black bear,and a bunch of hogs with my 8x57 Merkel double rifle.
They tend to be really light and sleek in this cal.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
I've taken deer,caribou,black bear,and a bunch of hogs with my 8x57 Merkel double rifle.
They tend to be really light and sleek in this cal.

Shooting your sweet 8x57 O/U when I was in Alaska is what first got me to liking O/U's, and eventually led to me getting the Heym O/U.

Most other O/U's I had handled were big blocky and heavy.
Your vintage Merkel and the new Heym are light and sleek.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a little 8X57JR H. Berrela cape gun, made in Kassel(old spelling), Germany back in about 1905 with a 16 ga barrel on the left, and a 8X57JR (.318 dia) on the right! It is a sidelock exposed hammer cape gun, with a set trigger on the rifle barrel. That little jewal is a real hunting piece. I've had this thing for about 45 years, and it has accounted for a lot of muledeer,and whitetail, and two black bear, and two elk plus who knows how many coyotes and bobcats. while the shot barrel has filled my bag with hundreds of dove and quail.

The 8X57 rimmed cartridges are one of the best ballanced hunting cartridges for the North American woods, as well as open canyon country. You wont be sorry you bought a double rifle in that chambering.

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I had a Merkel 141 in that calibre and it was a fantastic shooter. I mounted a Leupold 1.5-5 Vari X III on it in an MAK swing mount. After I finally fooled around and developed a load for it It would shoot composite groups into 1" all day long. Had absolutely no idea what I would use it for so I sold it. I have never had a more pleasant to shoot or accurate double rifle. I think I paid $4000 new for it and it WAS a bargain.I think these were special sale guns from the importer and were European models as they came with no test target or load data and were NOT the adjustable regulation model. For use on American game it would be a perfect rifle.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I had a Merkel 141 in that calibre and it was a fantastic shooter. I mounted a Leupold 1.5-5 Vari X III on it in an MAK swing mount. After I finally fooled around and developed a load for it It would shoot composite groups into 1" all day long. Had absolutely no idea what I would use it for so I sold it. I have never had a more pleasant to shoot or accurate double rifle. I think I paid $4000 new for it and it WAS a bargain.I think these were special sale guns from the importer and were European models as they came with no test target or load data and were NOT the adjustable regulation model. For use on American game it would be a perfect rifle.

Zim, are you sure that was a Merkel 141? I seem to remember when you were posting about that rifle, and IMO that was before the 141 model came out, and was actually a 140 I believe. Maybe I'm thinking of a different rifle! Could just be "OLD-TIMERS" desease! Big Grin

The 140 doesn't have adjustable regulation, and has 24 inch barrels! Most had selective ejectors, and auto safeties! Mine is the 140E ("E" being for ejectors)9.3X74R weighs in at 8.3 pounds and is built on the 20 ga size action. I bought mine from Cape Outfitters for $4600 with test target in a fitted case. It has become my favorite double rifle for North America, and for back-up to my Merkel 140-2 Safari 470NE double for Africa.

The 141 has just under 22 inch barrels, and is built on the 28 guage size action, is considerably lighter and fitted with adjustable regulation. I don't care for the adjustable regulation, or the light weight of the 141, but that is a personal thing. I like properly regulated doubles with fixed regulation, and a little more weight.

The 140 has been around since about 1980, and the 141 has only been around since about 2008!

..................... Confused Confused

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:The 140 doesn't have adjustable regulation, and has 24 inch barrels! Most had selective ejectors

Mac, never seen a Merkel with "selective" ejectors. More details please. Thanks in advance!

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:The 140 doesn't have adjustable regulation, and has 24 inch barrels! Most had selective ejectors

Mac, never seen a Merkel with "selective" ejectors. More details please. Thanks in advance!

DD the 140E-1 has selective ejectors, and an auto safety. The largest chambering you can get in that model is 9.3X74R! None of the 140-2s Safaris have ejectors. The new Mono-block models I believe do offer ejectors in larger chamberings.

The Model 140 is a self cocking, Anson & Deeley boxlock with cocking indicators, side clips and receiver ledge. Greener crossbolt with double under barrel locking lugs. Double trigger with the option to have the front trigger as a set trigger. Also, a single, non-selective trigger is available on special order and at extra cost. Automatic tang-mounted sliding safety. Case ejection through split cartridge slide or Holland & Holland ejector for rimless cartridges with extractor claw. Ejectors available at extra cost. Barrel Length 600mm (23.6") and weight approximately 3.5kg (7.7lb). Classic English-style pistol-grip oil-finished walnut stock (Hogsback available on request). Receiver is colour case hardened and hand engraved in Arabesque pattern with higher grades of engraving available at extra cost.

Imported into Australia in 7x65R, .308Win, .30/06, .30 Blaser, 8x57IRS and 9.3x74R.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
One trigger and an auto safety.... Oh my goodness!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
One trigger and an auto safety.... Oh my goodness!

Easy Dave! Mac was just passing along information. He didn't recommend it! Eeker animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac. I was thinking that it would be along the lines of the Heym ejector switch which I had not seen on a Merkel.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
I have an o/u 8x57r. Have only done load work with it (no hunting yet). Pushing the 198s @ 2400 f/21" bbls. 1-1.5" @100 reliably. Shoots quite well at 200 also.

Great calliber for most anything you'll likely encounter and sure to be a favorite in a small double.

Here's my final load at 100. Shown with some scope adjustments, but overall, it's quite a shooter.

Largest group is 1.5" C-2-C.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947