New
Find
Notify
Tools

Care of DR's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the proper way to care for DR's as opposed to bolt actions. Specifically how to and how often to lubricate. Any opinions will be welcome. Also what products are best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what is "Proper" but just by way of observance the working PH's that carry a DR in the bush every day tend to clean them every day to check for dust and any foreign matter, little grass seeds, etc. that might get in the action. They depend on their guns and everything must be right.

As for me, I clean mine every time I go to the range and shoot or once a month whether shot or not. Lubricating the hinge pin is most important to prevent galling. Several commercial products are out there but Chris Sells (new_guy) of Heym USA had suggested High
Temperature Plumbers Grease. Great lubrication and it won't breakdown or run at high temps.

Available at good plumbing supply company.
"Plumbers Heat-Pruf Grease" Solder Seal Brand
made by Radiator Specialty Company, Charlotte, N.C. Comes in a 2 1/2oz. tin. Don't remember the cost, inexpensive though. Lasts a
long time.

Hope this helps some.

Good Shooting
Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you - what is galling?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clayman216

Galling is the scaring or scratching (deep) between two metal surfaces that meet with a very fine tolerance like the mating parts of a double rifle when you install the barrels.

Most double rifles are made with good quality steel. A small piece of grit or sand is enough to do damage if left alone.

Some guns (like some double shotguns) are made with alloy receivers and they will "Gall" easier.

A fine coat of good lubrication is required at all times for operation and to prevent any rusting from moisture you can't control..
Some lubricants can't stand heat, I mean like 150 degres F. in the trunk of a car in the summer, they get hot and start to liquify. (Run out of where they are supposed to stay to keep the gun properly
lubed.)

Protect your investment, use a good lubricant and use it often.

Goot Shooting
Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do a search you will find some good info on this topic.

I believe that the number one most critical issue is keaping the hinge pin properly greased and keeping that grease clean. That mean wiping off grease every day the rifle is used, whether fired or just carried.

Properly greasing the hinge pin means using a quality high temperature, high pressure grease which will not run. Very little grease is needed and excess grease can cuase problems with the stock, so spare but top notch high temp/high pressure grease apllied to a clean hinge pin prior to shooting is #1.

Other moving/mating parts don't take the pressure or the heat that the hinge pin takes or might take. They need grease too, but they are not so critical as the hinge pin.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:
Chris Sells (new_guy) of Heym USA had suggested High Temperature Plumbers Grease.
Tetonka

I haven't looked at the specs on plumber's grease, but a high-PRESSURE grease is what you're after.

You want:
> tacky (makes long thin strings when you try to pull it apart)
> high Timken OK load rating (80 is the highest)

All of the greases I've seen that meet these criteria have been red in color and will marketed as "high pressure"... "extreme"...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the proper way to care for DR's

Shoot at least one elephant or cape buffalo with it annually.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote