Find
Notify
Tools

Receiver sight experiment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted

I only have one 68 year old eye that still works and that one has had a couple of surgeries. So, after searching all over this site I have come up with this. No way I am going to drill a hole in my new Searcy! This a brass post soldered to a dime held on by outdoor double sided tape. It witnesses with the stock rear sight and the stock front bead. Right now it is aligned best I could with a tight string. Outside it comes right up to where it should and the witness looks good. I'll shoot it tomorrow and tell Ya the result. No, no not for Elephant in the thick, not in my plans in my health but may get me in the running at big bore shoots.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested in hearing how this works for you.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
wear eye protection

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Now that's innovative! tu2 Let us know how it works out.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
wear eye protection

Agreed!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
No offense,wear a mask & not just eye protection.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
I never shoot without script safety glasses, I only have one eye remember hahahah Have Ya ever stuck 2 pieces of polished, very clean metal together with 3/4 sq" of outdoor double sided tape? This stuff is quite thin, not like the picture frame hanging stuff.I can hang the rifle from a piece of wire thru the aperture. The sight weighs app 100 gr, not much inertia and the load will be in shear. I will give it a tug with a loupe of wire thru it after each shot to see how the heat effects it. "This is only a test, in the event of a real finished product you will be notified of the final adhesive used" hahahahah

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scutulatus:

May I ask who fitted the barrels to that rifle?
.................................................................. faint

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scutulatus:
I never shoot without script safety glasses, I only have one eye remember hahahah Have Ya ever stuck 2 pieces of polished, very clean metal together with 3/4 sq" of outdoor double sided tape? This stuff is quite thin, not like the picture frame hanging stuff.I can hang the rifle from a piece of wire thru the aperture. The sight weighs app 100 gr, not much inertia and the load will be in shear. I will give it a tug with a loupe of wire thru it after each shot to see how the heat effects it. "This is only a test, in the event of a real finished product you will be notified of the final adhesive used" hahahahah

I think you are a genius ha ha ha with a great sense of humor beer

Mac,
the gun is a new Searcy,but I think the photo is distorted & that is why the barrels look the way they do.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The sight looks right! To me it seems like finely crafted peep sight with a silver plate for the elevation adjustment. Keep us informed.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
I figured this would be the wise route to take first, to see if the site location would even work for my old eye and 2 if I liked the whole receiver site thing and 3 what aperture size worked best for me. I sold a Browning M2 HB .50cal that I built from parts to finance this rifle, drillin' a hole isn't the challenge. Once the whole deal is dialed in I didn't feel any need for elevation adjustment. Don't cha worry this rifle has already been "used" on 5 visits to my desert range in the month I have had it. Standing rest as well as jumpin' out from behind bushes and takin' quick one/twos at charging cardboard boxes hahahaha Hitting a paper salad plate offers no challenge, but, of course it IS a Searcy! hahahah In 2 weeks we are off to the big bore shoot at the Phonex gun club.

Sorry for the photo instead of a "picture" all I have is a 5 year old pocket camera. I would have liked to show the approximant real view from my perspective.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the tape holds for 10 shots, please let me know who made it. I want to buy stock.

Posts: 10128 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've heard of shooters using a peep directly in line with an open rear sight, sometimes a small one to sharpen their picture of the bull.

Yours looks compact and somehow blends in. If properly in line it should save the problem of shooting high when the bead is not pulled down into the V properly.

I like the double-sided tape idea. Hopefully there is enough of it to keep the sight in place under recoil.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard of shooters using a peep directly in line with an open rear sight, sometimes a small one to sharpen their picture of the bull.

I've seen this on George Hoenig's rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Miller Val Greiss drilling from the 1920s that has a peep sight that folds into the tang. It is directly aligned with the iron sights. It is there to sharpen the focus of old eyes. I've see 2-3 like it before.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
Report from 1st trip to the desert. Four right and lefts from the standing rest and another 4 from offhand. Group size from the rest was same as with stock sites. I could tell that the peep needed to be moved a bit right for perfect alignment but was manageable for the test. The normal sight picture was well sharpened for my old eye. Offhand the misalignment of the peep opened my normal group size way! up as it was impossible to make the alignment correct with a quick shot. The aperture size seemed OK, an arbitrary #33 .113" I had meant to remove the stock rear standing bar and test with just the peep but with the misalignment issue didn't. For the next test, after attempting to align the peep correctly, I will shoot off the standing rest then remove the bar and try it with just the peep. Over all happy so far, the peep didn't fly off, the tape bond seemed to not be effected buy the heat of 2 quick right lefts.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
myself, I would replace the toplever screw with a ghost ring. Easy to do and will be easy to un-do as well.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
I appreciate ALL your suggestions and comments. As I said I researched everything I could on the basic subject. There are many viable variations on the theme. I find The most acceptable, although not an option for me, is using the dovetails Butch puts on some rifles for scope mounts and using a NEEG receiver site. Wala! removable, elevation and windege and changeable apertures. My rib if Ya notice is the low one over the chambers. When I get this all sorted out I plan to make one with the dime turned down to the width of the rib and the height adjusted to use hi temp, hi strength thread locker. Mounted just ahead of the engraving.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the tape seems to work. About 30 years ago I invented a rear sight for regulating double rifles (with a leaf for each barrel that alternated under recoil inertia). One manifestation was to put on double shotguns when using slugs and was to be secured with double-sided tape.

Admittedly, that shotgun sight was to be made of plastic or aluminium and include a short quarter-rib to give a long attachment - but the possibility recoil might dislodge it remained, though the examiners did not mention it.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its been done many times and its a step in the right direction, its fast and accurate.

I usually cut a 3/4 inch dovetail lengthwise at the junction, such as in the picture, then slide a dovetailed ghost sight in that with a ball pin lock. You can push the ball down with a ball point pen or whatever. I can take it out and slide in a like blank if I don't want it and it won't show...Its petite,and has a big hole for speed, a true Ghost sight. I also cut the one standing flush and may use the two fold down for long range, or at least that was the plan. However I like the ghost peep so well I never used any other sight..Its easy to make and a good smith can build it sighted in for whatever range you want, its centered in the rib so is zeroed for horizontal, file down a NECG gold faced .500 post to zero and your good to go. A fantastic sight for anyone regardless of age or eye sight.

I personally would prefer a larger hole than the sight in the picture and less metal around the hole itself to facilitate the Ghost sight picture and speed of access.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
Right, I found the hole thru the "post" forms a tunnel effect to my eye try 2 has a larger hole and thinner rim. Good idea to deal with the confusing witness of the bar site with fold down leaves. Still a work in progress

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray:

Would you mind posting a photo of the ghost sights you described? I have a 1920s German double rifle in .250-3000 that I can no longer use to hunt because I can't see the sights well enough anymore (5 folding leaves out to 500 meters - who says the Germans aren't optimists) and I've been looking for an unobtrusive peep sight arrangement that wouldn't make a mess of what is a pretty nice pre-war German DR.

Thanks.

Rem

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem40X,
I can't do that because I recently sold my doubles and big bore rifles other than a 9.3x62 as age, Bursitas, and a shattered hand made recoil tolerance a problem. Gett'en old ain't for sissies@ Smiler

However, I can explain what I did, I made a length wise dove tail cut into the rib right over the chambers as far back as possible to get the peep close to the eye..I made an L shaped male dovetail and drilled a .150 hold in in the L part and rounded off the top, long part slides into the cut with the L part with a hole in it extending upward. be sure and center the dovetail in the rib. then by using the very high NECG gold faced partridge square faced type bead (for lack of a better name) the gun will shoot very low, then your job is the file the top of the NECG post DOWN until it comes to zero. I can be remove by pushing the peen down and slider out, then replacing the filler. The filler is the L without the L portion and slides in the cut. It was hardly noticeable...I filed off the rear standing as it bothered me to no end when using the peep sight..I eventually made another peep for the cap grip that held an extra front sight and used it to hold the extra sight, and removed the rear barrel sight altogether and put a fitted filler in that slot. Its a very easy modification on a double of even a bolt gun, but most bolt guns have better slip on modifications such as the talley QD peep..ON some Searcy doubles he uses Talley rings and a Talley QD Peep might work on them?

It is rather hard to describe and hope Ihave not confused you, most gunsmiths that work on doubles have done this and will understand the nature of my poor description.

I say I did such and such, but the actual work was done by Rick Stickley an absolute genius with metal and who makes rather nice double guns. He lived near me in the past.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote