New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masquelier double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody ever hear of this manufacturer? Thanks.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
It's Belgium, from Liege. They were still being made in the mid 90's , maybe still are.

They are of decent quality and with a lot of apprentices working on them.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have been offered the opportunity to buy one in .405 Win. that looks decent fit and finish wise. I just didn't have any real idea as to what to value it at, and all I could find on line were Mq. shotguns.
So, lower part of the food chain but still worth maybe $1000?

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0007:
Thanks. I have been offered the opportunity to buy one in .405 Win. that looks decent fit and finish wise. I just didn't have any real idea as to what to value it at, and all I could find on line were Mq. shotguns.
So, lower part of the food chain but still worth maybe $1000?

I'm not saying you shouldn't pay $1000 USD for a 405 double rifle, but what i am saying is, if it is only WORTH $1000 USD, then it isn't worth anything as a double rifle!

Any double rifle WORTH owning, is WORTH far more than $1K, Hell a decent action is worth more than $1K!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I obviously didn't make myself clear here. The question is NOT whether it is worth $1000, but rather at that price would it be a good buy for a rifle by that mfg. Sorry for the confusion. I NEED a double rifle or any other firearm at this point in my life like I need another wife. I haven't had the time to enjoy any of the shooting sports for darn near 20 years; fortunately that hasn't been a problem with the wife, heh.
Frankly I'm hoping that is worth more then what I would be willing to pay for it. The idea when buying used firearms should always be to keep the costs going in to a minimum necessary to obtain said firearm. Heck, a while back my 'smith sold me an early Sako .222 for $450.00. I was happy and so was he.

I just buy stuff every now and then to remind me of what I'm missing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless it's obviously a wall hanger condition-wise, I would think it would be worth more than that. Masquelier double guns are usually decent. They may still be in business. There were not long ago.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
I have probably seen 20-30 of them and hunted with two different ones in Belgium. They are workable and were inexpensive when compared to other Liege guns like Thys, Francotte etc.

I would think 1k would be a bargain at any condition but would have to know a lot more to pay more than 4k for one. The last one I can remember in a shop was around 6k, depending on the exchange rate.

There are/were a lot of Belgium rifles chambered in the 405. Most I have seen were pretty handy and pretty light. Be careful of it's condition if you take it to the range as Masquelier have a reputation of being 'soft'.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would make shure it was "on face" and locked up tight. Cheack the bores. Do you have a qualified smith to run it by for his oppinon?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope this helps:
http://www.armes-masquelier.com/

They are still in business and maybe they can give you more specific information about the rifle.
According to their website, they make their own guns and do all sorts of repairs and adaptations.

UPDATE: for some information in English:
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identif...0masquelier%20gb.htm

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Gives me a reference point.