New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this normal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My elephant hunt to Botswana is getting close. I decided to mount the Doktor Optik. My local gun guys did it.

I had them "zero" at 50 yards with the solids I intend to use. One barrel is about an inch high and the other is about an inch low. While clearly close enough for my purposes, is this difference normal?

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Good day, Larry:
In my limited experience, if the double shoots target after target with the same pattern the problem is in the regulation. If the patterns change often it is shooter error. I hope your gun guys didn't just shoot one or two targets. A slight change in the powder charge may solve the problem with a consistent target. Nothing, repeat nothing, threepeat nothing, is carved in stone on double rifle regulation and accuracy. A bit of adjusting the powder charge will solve most problems. If not, send to JJ at Champlin Arms and he will do a good job on regulation with the load you send him. As to your question, is this normal, sometimes yes an also no. I have seen this problem prior, will see it again, and it can be solved by one to the two choices above.
Cheers and good shooting.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lsrry,

Are you saying the shot distribution changed AFTER mounting the scope and was fine beforehand?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful you are not canting the rifle

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are trying to heart shoot a hummingbird, you'll never know the difference in the field. Cool

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465, I agree with you 100%. I was just curious. The gun is no doubt more accurate that I can shoot it.

I have been routinely breaking clay pigeons at 45 yards. That should work.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry

Can you answer the question of ELeeton

"Are you saying the shot distribution changed AFTER mounting the scope and was fine beforehand?"

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure. Honestly, I do not know. Until this week, I shot clay pigeons and the like off of dirt mounds. I was not concerned as I was, at 45 yards, either hitting the clay pigeons or coming so damn close that they moved. I did have one bad day of shooting which I 100% attribute to excessive mounts of exercise causing severe soreness and stiffness.

This is the first week I have actually shot on paper. I was, in part, trying to determine where the softs hit compared to the solids. I intend to used Hornady factory solids but Federal Premium softs.

I can't imagine that this actually caused a change at all. I was simply curious.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine that a lightweight dot sight would affect regulation; I have not found that to be the case on the two I have mounted; I suspect your rifle shoots that way regardless. Go hunting and forget about it.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scopes can change regulation but I agree with the above, a lightweight like yours, less chance.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores: My local gun guys did it

Oh well, the "local gun guys" Confused They may be very good. Just curious, why did you not choose to send it to the best in the US..JJ? My V-C .500 ships to him on Monday for mounting the Docter Optic. BTW, I'm not picking on you. Smiler

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry, you are ready.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is that it is very hard to move groups that are vertically apart through any load changes. The problem is that the barrels are not coplanar. It is fussy to measure but everytime I have had this problem that has been true. Two inches appart at 50 yds is not bad in my opinion. I would just live with it. The only rifles I have ever had that were close to exactly on were modernish Holland and Hollands, and I have at least one sample of most of the modern makers

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
Be careful you are not canting the rifle

...and/or the Doktor Optik is not mounted quite level with the bores, and canted it's self! This is a common problem when a scope is mounted on a double by folks that do not know how it is to be done properly. If the base was simply screwed down on top of the rib it will usually be canted. The proper way is to level the bores in a mill vice, and mill a leveling slot in the rib for the base. It doesn't take a lot of canting of the base to make a very large difference on the target!
...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ cut the slot in the rib. It took months to get the base. He recommended that I have it mounted locally as it would take more time if I had him mount it.

It didn't surprise me that they were 2 inches apart. It did surprise me that these were 2 vertical inches.

As I said earlier, the gun is likely more accurate than I am. Breaking clay pigeons with the night site and my 56 year old eyes ain't too shabby. I can't help but think the DO will be better for me.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
JJ cut the slot in the rib. It took months to get the base. He recommended that I have it mounted locally as it would take more time if I had him mount it.

It didn't surprise me that they were 2 inches apart. It did surprise me that these were 2 vertical inches.

As I said earlier, the gun is likely more accurate than I am. Breaking clay pigeons with the night site and my 56 year old eyes ain't too shabby. I can't help but think the DO will be better for me.

I JJ cut the slot, then the slot was correctly cut. So the rifle may be crossing at that distance with your load, which would be indicated with both shots litting the same place horizontally.
Start with cool barrels, and then fire three or four shots from each barrel in the right,left,right,left order in about ten to 15 seconds and have someone keep track of the bullets placement on the target as they are fired. by barrel, and number in the order they were fired. Then fine the CENTER of each barrel's individual group. Two shot tells you very little as the regulation quality. It is the centers of each barrels individual group the tells you how the rifle is regulated!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could try shooting at two targets, one for the right barrel and one for the left, then overlap them.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I agree with Peter. When shooting paper targets I ALWAYS have two side by side. Right target for the right barrel, left for the left. Never have to guess which is which. In any event, if you're hitting clay targets consistantly at 45 yards, go on your safari and have a great time. You're good to go. At this point don't let the small stuff eat at you.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Larry, the "pattern" of my rifle's barrels is the same with the Doktor as with the open sights.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry,

I'd say you are good to go. But just for discussion's sake, remember my Chapuis 9.3X74R with the Trijicon scope you shot at the range in Florida? Well, that rifle would shoot almost any load I fed it with open sights exactly to the regulation target. But when I put the scope on it, all went to hell. The TSX loads were crossing off the target at 50 yards! CEB's were initially spread 10 inches at 50 yards.

It took me 15 load combinations to finally get it to shoot to regulation with the scope. Of course, your DO is no where near the weight of the Trijicon so it isn't going to affect it as much as mine was. But I would say that yes, it has affected it to some degree. However, it seems minor and again, I think you won't have any issues with it on your hunt!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up the gun. I looked through the sight. Damn, I like it. I am glad that I did it.

I have shot it about 250 times. I hope to shoot about 60 more before I leave on the 14th.

I can't wait to test the new sight this afternoon.