Find
Notify
Tools

hammers??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
I have been thinking double for a while now and have been doing a lot of reading. I had assumed that for my need (following up bears in the thick stuff) a hammerless was a no-brainer. However, I've seen a few doubles with hammers that are appealing - should I even be considering them? I can't picture having time with hammers.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
- should I even be considering them? I can't picture having time with hammers.

In that case the answer is no.

However, with enough practice hammers are just fine.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My first shotgun was an old SXS 12ga with hammers. Basically it was a single shot. Trying to work the offside hammer was a real pain. If I was hunting quail and the dogs pointed I would cock both. But on a rabbit flush forget about the second barrel he was long go before I was ready.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have both, and I don't find outside hammers a draw back at all! I your case going into the weeds with a Brownie, I'd simply cock bot hammers, and cup my trigger hand around the trigger guard so twiggs couldn't trip a trigger at the wrong time! Still the best choice would be a hammerless! With bear, or cats is the only place I would like selective ejectors, but I like the old Heym I once had with the switch to disengage them when I wanted! Though I don't think one would have time to use them, if he stood a close charge,because two is all he's likely to get! Confused

Hey Hogkiller, Sorry I didn't get down to Walker Co. got tied up with some folks laying tile in my home, and couldn't leave! Maybe next time, Buddy! bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
OK Mac. thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost all my guns have hammers. My Wm Cashmore killed more than it's share of pheasants today and yesterday.

There are two keys to the doubel hammer gun in addition to all those things that apply to impaired-thumb guns. The first is that you should be able to cock both barrels simultaneously with the thumb of your trigger hand.

Second, the hammers should be low relative to the sighting plane. The lower the better. If the hammers ride high, they confuse the sight picture. Not a big deal for stationary targets, but another issue altogether for flying/running targets.

Of course, if you are working with a central-hung hammer on something like a single shot rifle, such issues are no existant.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote