THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    So I have 10K to spend, HELP!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I have 10K to spend, HELP!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
Looking for a good solid "working" rifle, not at all interested in engraving and such. I just want a rifle that I can enjoy shooting with an eye towards a buffalo someday. Caliber either 450/400 3" or .470NE (2nd choice). I have a budget that hits the wall at about 10k. It looks like my options for a new or like new rifle would be Merkel, Chapuis or Krieghoff, sadly I missed the cutoff to get a field grade searcy which might have been exactly what I want.

Could you all please comment if one of these, (or another brand that I missed) has any significant mechanical or craftsmanship issues, either good or bad that would make them stand out over the others. Ultimately I understand that I have to hold the rifle to determine fit, balance and the overall feel. I am just trying to narrow down a brand at this point. I have NEVER spent this much time reading/researching a gun purchase in my life. I am hoping to hit a home run with this purchase and grow old with this rifle
Thanks for your input.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Merkel K-gun and Chapuis are all good choices. I'd handle all of them, then find the one that fits your taste.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at this

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=164689907

It's a bit over your budget, but -

1. Heyms are SWEET rifles
2. That's about 7k less than a new one
3. Most new rifles will depreciate. At this price, the value can only go up.

Here's a brother in arms, doing what it does best

Have fun shopping!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep your eyes open and I'll bet you can find a nearly new Searcy 450/400. Check Cabela's Gun Library, AR classified and Gunbroker.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far my only experience is with Merkel. I have a 470NE, a 500NE and a 9.3X74R and all are very accurate and fit me right out of the box with no adjustmetns needed. I would recommend handling what you think you are interested in and even shooting a couple if possible before buying.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking Heym.

The New price on the Safari Heym is @22K.

The PH is @17K.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking for a good solid "working" rifle, not at all interested in engraving and such. I just want a rifle that I can enjoy shooting with an eye towards a buffalo someday. Caliber either 450/400 3" or 470NE (2nd choice). I have a budget that hits the wall at about 10k.

You have two choices in fact. New. Secondhand.

My advice? Have a look at the British gun auction sites of Gavin Gardiner

http://www.gavingardiner.com/ 

You will find double guns in all calibres and from hammer to non-ejector to "full monty" sidelock ejector.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
enfield, plase educate me on how to navigate around both those sites as I seem to be unable to pull anything up.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gardiner is select by hovering over it CATALOGUE then from the drop down select by left click ARCHIVE. Then choose which one you want to view.

Holt's is select by hovering over it CATALOGUES then select by left click ARCHIVES then from the drop down use the arrow tab on the VIEW AND ARCHIVE "window" to choose a catalogue. And to see it select nothing other than the SEARCH by a left click leaving all the other boxes blank.

Bonhams is look to the left hand boxes and select by left ONLINE CATALOGUE from under the past sale date.

Hope this helps and you don't regret what you are too late to bid on!

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
I shopped and researched for 6 months and vacillated between K gun, Chapius and Searcy and since I had decided early on the caliber 450/400 that left the Merkel out. Long story short, I got the K gun and I'm very pleased with it. I was dubious about the cocking procedure but that fast became a non issue and now I see it as a real plus.

If you are looking for a 450/400, the K gun will be heftier than say their 470 NE since they use the same stock barrels for both, ergo the smaller holes results in more weight. You'll come to like this I guarentee.

Good Luck on your search.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I love my Merkel .470 NE. You could get a new one for that amount of money. I also love my Searcy 450-400. You will NOT get a new one or a used one, for that amount of money. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.verney-carron.us/

This brand is available in Maryland at:

www.kebcollc.com and well worth a look!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a hell of a deal on the Heym 88 if you can tolerate a 470 NE. Mine fits me like a glove .

EZ

quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
You might want to look at this

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=164689907

It's a bit over your budget, but -

1. Heyms are SWEET rifles
2. That's about 7k less than a new one
3. Most new rifles will depreciate. At this price, the value can only go up.

Here's a brother in arms, doing what it does best

Have fun shopping!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
Here a Kreighoff 450/400 3" that I would sell for 9000.00

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
New rifles are fine working tools but for 10K you can find a good, vintage, English hammer double rifle, either top lever or under lever, nitro proofed, for the money you have. The rifle will be far better finished, have some history, and some real class. I sold one (450-400) for 10K last year and a friend just bought one for the same price. They are out there.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Looking for a good solid "working" rifle, not at all interested in engraving and such. I just want a rifle that I can enjoy shooting with an eye towards a buffalo someday. Caliber either 450/400 3" or 470NE (2nd choice). I have a budget that hits the wall at about 10k. It looks like my options for a new or like new rifle would be Merkel, Chapuis or Krieghoff, sadly I missed the cutoff to get a field grade searcy which might have been exactly what I want.

Could you all please comment if one of these, (or another brand that I missed) has any significant mechanical or craftsmanship issues, either good or bad that would make them stand out over the others. Ultimately I understand that I have to hold the rifle to determine fit, balance and the overall feel. I am just trying to narrow down a brand at this point. I have NEVER spent this much time reading/researching a gun purchase in my life. I am hoping to hit a home run with this purchase and grow old with this rifle
Thanks for your input.

JCS271:

PM sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, "PM Sent" I see. C'mon...have the "Hutzpah" to extol the virtues of the Blaser S2 system to JSC out in the open forum!!! We won't deride you or or make snide comments...I promise (well, for myself anyway!!!!)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
New rifles are fine working tools but for 10K you can find a good, vintage, English hammer double rifle, either top lever or under lever, nitro proofed, for the money you have. The rifle will be far better finished, have some history, and some real class. I sold one (450-400) for 10K last year and a friend just bought one for the same price. They are out there.
Cal

Very sound advise here. tu2

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Dave, "PM Sent" I see. C'mon...have the "Hutzpah" to extol the virtues of the Blaser S2 system to JSC out in the open forum!!! We won't deride you or or make snide comments...I promise (well, for myself anyway!!!!)

Biebs:

I was not going to tell him about the many fine qualities of the S2. I have a line on a "working gun" at a very good price and I was going to pass that on to him.

I thought it was a bit ironic though that Cal and Jack jumped on the band wagon for an "English hammer double rifle." Don't you have to "recock" those after you fire the first two rounds? Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point! Maybe they are the early ancestors to the S2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I thought it was a bit ironic though that Cal and Jack jumped on
the band wagon for an "English hammer double rifle." Don't you
have to "recock" those after you fire the first two rounds? Wink

Dave,

YOU put the emphasis on hammer,

Cal and I would have put the emphasis on ENGLISH !!!!!
EVERONE ought to KNOW THAT ! Wink wave Big Grin

Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well at least with an S2 you can cock Both hammers at the same time.. Wink

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originaly posted by Biebs

quote:
Good point! Maybe they are the early ancestors to the S2

Thats actully not that far from the truth.
In Ferlach external hammer guns are built everyday. Mostly single shot kipplaufbuchsen and over/under doubles.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few new Merkel 470s around for $8000. Put the remaining $2000 in components and good press. DONE!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCS, The Merkel I PM'd you about that my friend had was sold this afternoon. Oh well. Good luck in your quest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was beautiful new Chapuis in 470 NE at the cabela's gun library in Dundee MI. It's under 10K. I'm temped to buy to buy it myself.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked. It's still there $9500 beautiful rifle.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote