THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    For calling bears in Alaska?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For calling bears in Alaska?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
I just read a thread from Alaskacajun saying he was going to call bears in. I'm guessing it to be like calling varmints in with a distress call??? With what double rifle and projectile would you use to call bears in Alaskan hunting? I have the trouble starting 45-70 in rolling block and Marlin 1895, 99 Savage 358Win., and others but my choice would be a 286 gr cup point followed by a soft in my 9.3X74 double. Packy

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
This is theoretical, of course, but....

If I'm going to call any BIG bear within a stone's throw of my location, I want the biggest, hardest hitting SOB I have to be at my shoulder.

For that, it would be my .577 NE.

BUT, I would be comfortable with anything in the .400 class and above. I say "COMFORTABLE", and not the minimum of what I would go hunting with.

Take it for what it is worth...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't think calling in a bear was exactly legal in Alaska, but I could be wrong.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you hear of something new all the time. I had never heard of "calling in bears" I think I am going to have to Google that one when I get time.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
For calling alaskan bears, I would have be be sitting with a 700 nitro express and the biggest bullet (1000grains?) made for it. My experience calling bears is, they think they are getting a free meal, they are hungry and only the boss bears come running.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I just read a thread from Alaskacajun saying he was going to call bears in. I'm guessing it to be like calling varmints in with a distress call??? With what double rifle and projectile would you call bears in Alaskan hunting? I have the trouble starting 45-70 in rolling block and Marlin 1895, 99 Savage 358Win., and others but my choice would be a 286 gr cup point followed by a soft in my 9.3X74 double. Packy

Get a "rabbit squealer". I've one that looks like a tubed accordian. The louder and more frantic the better. Always hunt this way in pairs. You never know which direction they'll come from, or how many. They tend to lose fear of man, I think the excitement gets their adrenalin going.
Because it'll be close shooting, don't worry about velocity. The 9.3x74 double with good heavy bullets should be more than enough.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AKshooter looked in the regulations and could not find anything saying you could not call bears, but I would call Alaska Fish and Game to be sure.

I have called in a black bear with a call made for bear calling.

As for a rifle, since the shot will be close I would prefer a fairly large bore and a heavy bullet.
Either my 9,3x74R double or my 450/400 3 1/4" double would be about perfect IMHO.

I would not hesitate to use AKshooters 338 double either.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
....366 has got the idea pretty right .......But you can do it alone just fine ,, I do ...often .....It,s alot to do with my genral disdane for man wounders involved in brown bear hunting........IMHO a 500 nitro double regulated for a 400 gr bonded core bullet @ over 2400 fps would be about the perfact bear rifle .....single trigger with a pretty good pistol grip...not more than 24 " barrels....Those little mouse squeekers work well......A fawn bleat works well also...458.s and 416,s work well ... The 375 is a little small really for that kind of work ... If you don,t believe me read the account of Max Schwab and the guy with the 7 mag ...My 500 A-Sq. was very comforting ....It will really get your blood pumping Smiler It is just this kind of hunting that lead me to my own conclusions that brown bears wern,t elephants......The ability to nearly blow a bears head off is pretty useful at 15 feet or less .....High velocity,,light for caliber,, mono metal or bonded core construction works the best in my experience for this .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from my experiences with the big bears in ak I think something in the line of quad 40mm's would be just right

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
We do calling for bears in Alberta, especially in the zones where there is NO Baiting allowed. Works good. Just like predator calling. In the western WMU zones we find a high area or ridge in the cutblocks and start calling. Gets the bears if in any in the area to start acting on therir predatorial instincts. Quite the rush!

Should work in Alaska-cant see why it would be illegal unless they have a clause saying "No electronic calls to be used" for predator calling as it is in Alberta.

As for the caliber for to use as a double rifle, I have no idea. I personally like my Sako m75 SS 300WM with 180gr Accubonds-could try 200. I use it for all my big game. My next choice up in Alaksa would be 338WM or RUM.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Learn something new every day.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Learn something new every day.

Something fun to boot!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's most certainly legal and it's most certainly exciting. Been there, done that...will do it again.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
It all sounds quite exciting. I haven't even decided if I have the round things to hunt a big brown from the cold regions with a mouth call. I wouldn't bother with the electronic. I found it a pain to carry varmint hunting in the state of Misery, USA. Thanks for your thoughts. Packrattusnongratus