Find
Notify
Tools

Left Handed Doubles?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
I've been reading the posts here regarding the Chapuis 9.3, which seems like a nice entry level double, and am wondering if they can be had in left hand. If not the Chapuis, what makers produce left handed doubles?

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
I have a Chapuis currently on order and am a LH shooter. I was told that the LH stock is an option however the rest of the rifle remains the same. In other words the trigger and action lever will remain set up for a RH gun. I do not expect this to be much of an issue because my SXS shotguns are RH guns and that is what I am used to shooting. As for other makers, I know you can have a LH Searcy built along with Heym and Krieghoff. Not sure about Merkel and the others.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good topic. Besides the differences in stocks is there any other difference between a right of leftie Searcy, Krieghoff or Chapuis?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, from what I gather, on a lefty the front trigger fires the left barrel and the rear trigger fires the right barrel. Also, I think the lever to open the gun is pushed from left to right.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The Searcy is a complete left hand rifle! The top lever is pushed to the left to open the triggers are reversed with the front trigger on the left, fireing the left barrel, with the rear trigger on the right, fireing the right barrel! Cheekpiece is on the right hand side of the stock, and any cast off will opposite that for a right hander! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Krieghoff, a right handed model. Krieghoff put on a lefty stock and twisted the triggers outward to the left side for the left hand at a very reasonable price. The gun still fires right barrel front trigger and left barrel rear trigger. I can't even remember which way the opening lever goes. This lefty loves the gun.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a left-hand Searcy 500 Nitro Express for sale on GunsAmerica.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The Searcy is a complete left hand rifle! The top lever is pushed to the left to open the triggers are reversed with the front trigger on the left, fireing the left barrel, with the rear trigger on the right, fireing the right barrel! Cheekpiece is on the right hand side of the stock, and any cast off will opposite that for a right hander! beer

I have two LH Searcy doubles...both of them were built as you describe with the exception of the function of the top lever...I left mine the same as a RH rifle. Butch will build the rifle any way you wish.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Krieghoff Classic Big Five 9,3 X 74 R is left-handed.

www.kapstadt.de/lemberg
HUNTING ONE HOUR FROM CAPE TOWN

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on gun broker or gunsamerica there was a chappuis LH 375 for sale last week don't know if its still there or not

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many second hand double rifles can be converted to left hand stock dimensions. The correct canidate will have no cheekpeice or you can remove the cheek peice. A good stock man can bend the stock if it doesn't have to much cast off, to the correct cast on dimensions for a lefty. The rifle can't have a long top strap.

For rifles that have extended top straps, the cheek peice can be removed and some wood removed from the right side of the stock to accomodate a lefty's face.

I'm a lefty and I grew up shooting double shotguns made for righties with the top lever opening to the right and the front trigger firing the right barrel. Since this is what I'm used to I keep things simple by going with a right hand rifle with a left hand stock.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark Baker
posted Hide Post
I had ordered a Dumoulin double rifle back in 99 or 2000. I ordered it at the Vegas show.

Left hand 8x57 JRS with scope and cased.

Is a wonderful rifle, and was priced right at the time. Now with the dollar low against "everything", it is hard to get a good deal anymore.

I chosen the engraver and is some of the best that I have on my rifles.

I feel that Belgium made double rifles are some or the best, and I have two currently.

At the time the bill was 22k, but you could have gotten into a Dumoulin for 12 I think.

I have posted some pics on the "photos page of the two Belgian rifles. www.thesecondshot.com

Just something to ponder.

Mark

Posts: 51 | Location: N.W. Wisconsin | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote