THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Removing Epoxy from Objective on Zeiss - ring mount ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Epoxy from Objective on Zeiss - ring mount ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

I have a Zeiss riflescope which had a claw mount ring clamped and glued to the scope objective I have since removed the ring but the glue/epoxy remains. Any idea how to remove the cured glue without damaging the scope objective?

Thanks for your help
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, try and "float" it off. In other words either water, WD40, "ballistol" or rangoon oil. All fluids that will "creep" between the epoxy (you hope) and the glass lens.

Or...contact the help number on a packet/website of makers of these glues and ask for advice.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You do mean the objective bell, not the glass lens, surely, unless Walter mounted that scope in the claw rings.

Try putting it in the freezer overnight. If the scope bell is of different alloy than the ring, differential contraction may loosen the joint.

Of course the Zeiss people could get the glass out of the scope and put a torch to the epoxied ring, and then refinish the scope tube.

Do not allow Walter to undertake such a job.

If you are willing to risk the scope to your own hands, wrap it in wet rags with the ring exposed and submerge the rest of the scope in icewater, and apply a propane torch to the ring half briefly, until it loosens ... assuming the penetrant solvents did not work. Hopefully some Kroil will loosen it. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT SHOULD COME OFF WITH AN APPLICATION OF ACITONE

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have never had any luck dissolving epoxy with acetone, even under ultrasonication (industrial applications).

You could use a soldering iron to heat the ring half or the epoxy.

Posts: 19 | Location: idaho | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of 500NE
posted Hide Post
Hi JJP,

Not an expert on this, but my gunsmith once educated me that the glues normally used for this kind of work will go soft if heated. I do remember that the temperature should be around 160 Degrees Celsius (whatever that is in Fahrenheit), the scopes are designed to withstand thos temperatures.

Rdgs, 500NE

Posts: 23 | Location: Vienna, Austria | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I've used the commercial paint strippers to remove epoxy from anodized aluminum scope tubes.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947