New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Heym
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I received my 470 NE Heym double yesterday. It was love at first sight. I ordered the rifle with 30mm scope rings and claw mount, I installed 1.5 x 5 Lopy 30mm tube with ill ret.
I looked through scope and noticed you can use the sights by looking under the scope, I didn't expect this.
If in 08 when I go back to Africa, if i go into heavy bush following wounded buff, I will just pop the scope off, the claw mounts are great.
will take rifle to range Saturday, I just hope it shoots as good as my Merkel did.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! A great rifle.

You have to post some pics.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet it shoots fine.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well do Heyms shoot ?? i have never heard any info about that

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heyms usually shoot very well but it sometimes depends on what caliber you have. One of the most inherently inaccurate calibers I have personally owned in a Heym is the 500/416.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are very accurate. The two barrels from my 470 put a right and left the same distance as the bores at 50 and 100 yards. Mine was regulated with federal factory ammo.

We had two in camp at our last DRSS shoot. Mine and a demo rifle new_guy brought. We also had a couple of African PH's in camp - Katte (Eduard Katzke) and Donza. We had to pry the demo out of Katte's hands after the target shoot - he was impressed (I believe he left fingerprints embedded in the rifle). I let Katte take mine on an afternoon hog hunt. Two hogs showed up and a right and a left later, two hogs were DRT.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
Heyms usually shoot very well but it sometimes depends on what caliber you have. One of the most inherently inaccurate calibers I have personally owned in a Heym is the 500/416.

One of the most accurate DRs I've ever fired was a Krieghoff in .500/.416.
-------------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that caliber 500/416 is a krieghoff specialty.

they should be able to make a rifle that shoots it well

but the entire thing is a big joke - nobody wants them .... and the ammo, well you understand

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That hasn't stopped them from selling quite a few.

Go back to sleep Tom.
-------------------------------------------------