THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    and now I am really aching to get my 600NE ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

and now I am really aching to get my 600NE ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Just finished watching Buzz Charleton's "Hunting the African Elephant" - Fantastic stuff

Felt my heart pounding away and muscles tightening with some of that footage - Exciting! Cool

Learned a heck of a lot about shot placement particularly with frontal brain shots - and was imagining my shot placement with every angle change and head movement.

Of course, between Kebco's recent DR rifle build video and this DVD, I am wishing time to pass a bit more quickly so that the Verney-Carron family had already completed and shipped my 600 Nitro Express while Buzz was rolling the credits.

Now it's time for Craig Boddington's "Boddington on Elephant" video before the girls get home and the TV relegated to some Ghost Hunter or Home Decorating show. Then I get banished to the reloading room dancing

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have doubles from 9.3 to 577 and love them all. My favorites are 450-400,45-70 and 500NE. If I was going to build a double it would be a 500 NE and would weigh no more than 10.5 lbs. The 577 is a great gun but just too big and bulky. I'll let you know how I feel about it after I get back from my elephant hunt.

Sam

Posts: 2831 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the report, Sam.

Good luck and thanks for all the work on the DR bullets.

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
The 577 is a great gun but just too big and bulky.
Sam

Sam,

How much does your 577 weigh?

Thanks,
Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

My 577 weighs about 13 lbs now after taking those horrible mercury recoil reducers out of it. It was was about 14.5 lbs with them in. I think gun kicks less without them, handles much better too! Why in the crap would a gun maker put those things in a fine rifle! If they don't know how to balance a gun they should stay out of the gun maker business. Sorry I'm venting! I hate those sloshing recoil weights!

Sam

Posts: 2831 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Paul,

My 577 weighs about 13 lbs now after taking those horrible mercury recoil reducers out of it. It was was about 14.5 lbs with them in. I think gun kicks less without them, handles much better too! Why in the crap would a gun maker put those things in a fine rifle! If they don't know how to balance a gun they should stay out of the gun maker business. Sorry I'm venting! I hate those sloshing recoil weights!

Sam

Nope - I'm with you 100%.
That's the weight I asked to shoot for on my 600 and V-C said they would do it.

Thanks,
paul

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Paul I'd like to watch you shoot the 600 and get some video of it.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Paul I'd like to watch you shoot the 600 and get some video of it.

Mike

Sure - might be good for a laugh or two.

When I get the new one we'll get together and you can submit it to America's Funniest Videos as long as I get a cut of the prize.

Thanks,
Paul