THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hagn falling block double rifle video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hagn falling block double rifle video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKkx_d8cY_c

I found this today and found it very interesting.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the concept, yet in truth, if you want a double rifle and as long as the slower reload isn't an issue than a falling block....or a Darne system...it does appear to make a lot of sense and have several advantages as noted below.

Lighter, cheaper and simpler to manufacture, less hand fitting needed, and weight for weight probably stronger. But it's like Scottish high end trigger plate "round action" side by side shotguns. It's just an aesthetics thing. I don't like them either!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never thought I would see an ugly Hagn rifle.I think Hagn should not have listened to this guy.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Almost identical to Bailey Bradshaw's double rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having owned and spent a lot of time shooting one of Bailey Bradshaw’s original falling block rifles, I think I can say his original design was the most elegant double rifle design ever. It did not function perfectly to begin with, but after sending it back to Bailey twice, it functioned and shot as well as any double rifle I’ve ever owned or had the privilege of shooting. I regret having sold it.

The Hagn action is not nearly as elegant, but it is functional. I think the verdict is still out on Baileys new rising block double rifle. I’ve seen pictures of it, and it looks really nice. I just wish he had perfected the original falling block because it was so elegant and efficient. Not speaking for Bailey, just my opinion, I thought Bailey was too concerned about what he called positive extraction, which basically made it an ejection double. The double I had worked perfectly once I asked Bailey to release the tension in the extractors and it became strictly an extractor double rifle, which was great with me because I prefer an extraction double rifle.

I still think that Baileys first design of the falling block DR is the best ever with a few alterations. Just wish he could turn them out timely. His engraving and woodwork is outstanding.

Lots to think about.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder when Martin Hagn built that rifle - any idea? He is currently building two single shots for me - very interesting guy. I would put the Hagn single shot action in a class of it's own.

Posts: 228 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting example of gunsmith skills.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing one that Hagn did maybe 12-15 years ago, I believe it was done for Hartmann & Weiss. That's what got me interested in a falling block DR.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote