THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    splinter fore-end on Kreighoff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

splinter fore-end on Kreighoff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but is it possible to have a true splinter fore-end made for a Krieghoff double? Is there some design feature of the barrels and/or front of the receiver that would prevent this?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure, my K 9.3 has one. Nothing but wood up there.

Posts: 17282 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Pretty close to one already. If you took the minor schanable off of it, it would be pretty close.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
Pretty close to one already. If you took the minor schanable off of it, it would be pretty close.

Ed

How is it close to one already? I was under the impression that a true splinter forearm was more narrow than the barrels. All the Krieghoff doubles I've seen had forearms where the wood came up on the sides of the barrels, similar to a beaver tail.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most Ks have large beavertail foreends that wrap around the barrels. They look thin in pictures but they are quite wide.
I will get you a pic tomorrow of a standard one and a thin one.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Most Ks have large beavertail foreends that wrap around the barrels. They look thin in pictures but they are quite wide.
I will get you a pic tomorrow of a standard one and a thin one.

I understand the difference. I have handled several Krieghoffs....all of which had the beavertail fore-end. I don't care for it, hence why I am asking about the splinter forearm.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Rasp off the extra wood and rechecker it. I don't like it either. My response was for 505 who said they were close. They ain't.
Do you want a picture of the small one from my 9.3?

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Rasp off the extra wood and rechecker it. I don't like it either. My response was for 505 who said they were close. They ain't.
Do you want a picture of the small one from my 9.3?

Absolutely....I'd love to see it.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Well I have owned a double rifle or two. True my first Watson brothers English gun had a very short splinter for end. The k guns is not overly large and just a little longer, than an adv forend. A true beaver tail forend wraps up round the side and is also round and deep. My uncle has a WR 500 that has a classic beaver tail forend. I will post some pics.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course, I know that you know your foreends. The K ones are not very deep so from the side they look like splinters with a schnabel. But from the top and bottom, they are beavertails, wrapping around the sides of the barrels, half way up. The big one is from a 450-400 and the small one is from a 9.3; Krieghoff uses the same frame for everything so the fore-end hangers are the same. Note than even the 9.3 one wraps up around the barrels a bit as well. (I am refinishing the 9.3 one which is why it is blotchy) It would be easy to make on a true splinter as long as you can checker.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
To me, to be a true "splinter", the wood can't extend above the frame height, and the amount of wood underneath must be minimal; I guess everyone has his own definition of that. Here is a K, which the wood wraps around the barrels. Last is a Searcy, which is getting there. Chapuis is one which has a very large foreend and they will not make a smaller one. I asked them. [URL=http://s914.photobucket.com/user/dpcd67/media/DSC02776_zpse2a6fc9e.jpg.html]

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics "dpcd"....

Do you think there is enough room on the K-gun forearm to actually shorten it, removing the schnabel altogether?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course; nothing up there but wood, BUT, I would slim it up first and shorten it last if you think it needed it. But removing the schnabel would be easy if you don't like it. Note that the Searcy and the Ks have exactly the same length forearms. Notice that little raised wood between the barrels; if you shortened it past that, then well, it wouldn't be there and you would have a little gap between the FE and the bottom rib.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of a stock builder that could build a custom splinter forearm? That way you could have both a splinter and the standard schnabel/beavertail to choose from....

Granted, it will be hard to match the wood, but perhaps you could get close.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither of those forends posted above qualify as splinter forends IMO..they are both fat and ugly! shocker

A splinter forend is just what it says it is and that is a splinter, such as on an older English double like a Jefferys, Army-Navy and some older double shotguns..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything can be done if you want to spend the money. If you want a new for end I would call JJ Perodeau and make inquierys.
http://www.champlinarms.com/
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote