THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Is 8x75RS a better N/A Big Game DR Cartridge than the 9.3x74R
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 8x75RS a better N/A Big Game DR Cartridge than the 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Subject line really says it all. The 8x75RS has been compared to the 300 H&H, but with 196-200gr bullets it beats out the 300 H&H by 200fps. Its right there with the .338 WM. Much flatter shooting with a much longer point blank range than the 9.3x74R. (point blank defined as distance at which the POI stays within +/-3" of POA)

Can a double be regulated well enough to take advantage of this longer point blank range? In particular a Chapuis UGEX? Is the UGEX available in 8x75RS?

I know that 9.3x74R is much more popular/available than the 8x75RS in the U.S.

Apparently Heym offers the 8x75RS in double rifles but Merkel does not.

Brazos Jack

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think on think-skinned game it would be pretty nice, but there is the minimum caliber issue in much of Africa. The 9,3x74R also comes with a 232 as well as the 286gr loadings.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Africa it would definitely be a large plains game number and in Africa the hunting ranges are usually shorter than in North America so its advantage over the 9.3x74R would be largely theoretical.

However, I was thinking more for North American hunting. Elk are often engaged at distances that would make the looping trajectory of th 9.3x74R a liability. Doubles have to be restricted to a single bullet they are regulated too. So I'm comparing 8x75RS 198gr vs 9.3x74R 286gr. The 8x75RS 198gr shoots much flatter while still being more than adequate for the large bears (Browns, Kodiaks, etc) under any imaginable condition.

The only thing that would prevent the 8x75RS from being hands down superior for North American game and conditions than the 9.3x74R would be if double rifles cannot be regulated well enough to keep the barrels shooting together beyond the "point blank" range (as defined in my original post). So I guess that is my real question. Can a Chapuis, Merkel, or Heym double be depended on to keep both barrels shooting together out to 275 yards or so?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good choice for the 8x75RS is the Krieghoff classic DR with the possibility to regulate the barrels with a screwdrewer.
The old dates with phantastic velocity of the 8x75RS are a bit optimistic. You can get 2850fps with the 200grs bullets and 2600fps with 220grs. Nearly the same as with the .300H&H. I use the 75RS in a Blaser K77 singleshot, it is a very good outfit for the big red stags and for heavy boars.

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I have taken a kudu at a little over 300 yards and a coyote at 281 yards with my scoped 9,3x74R Chapuis I would have to say that it would be possible to have an 8x75RS regulated well enough to make long range shots.

I would contact Chapuis and heym and see if they would regulate the double at 200 yards with the scope of your choice making sure that the bbls did not cross at that distance.

I think the 9,3x74R is the best calibre under 40cal for a double rifle, UNLESS, you are specifically setting up a double for a LOT of 300 yard shooting.

Under those contitions an 8x75RS would be a good choice.

Also, I do know Chapuis, probably Heym too will make a double in 300 Win Mag.

However, take a look at bullets around 232 to 250gr in the 9,3x74R for longer range shooting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding 8x75 brass in the US. No one imorts it that I know of and if someone did bring it in it would be very expensive. The benefits aren't there over a readily available rimless cartridge in whatever platform.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Macifej

Your point is well taken. You can probably use 9,3x74R brass to make the 8x75RS stuff... but that is why I mentioned the 300 Win Mag, that is the calibre I would choose as ammo and brass is easy to find in the USA.

But as I stated the 9,3x74R has worked well for me to 300 yards, when I needed it to, but that is a stretch.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd say the 9.3X74R would be a better an all around African cartridge. I just bought a little Express 2000 in 8X57JRS. It is a sweet shooter and I will use it primarily on deer and hogs.

NE450#2 is the most incredible shot I have ever seen. His long range kills with his Chapuis are just amazing! I wish I could shoot that well or at my age, see that far! Big Grin

The enjoyment of double rifles for me, involves the stalking and getting in close. Or still hunting, letting game come to you. Tracking and stalking makes hunting and especially Dangerous Game hunting, a thrill. Up close and personal! That's what I love about double rifles.

Now at my age and eyes my doubles are starting to sprout scopes. It is a necessity for me out past 100 yards.

I hope you enjoy your 8X57JRS. Congratulations!
It should do just fine for anything we shoot in the States! I don't think it would be ideal for bear. Just my opine!

I have found 8X57JRS brass at Midway (Norma) and Huntington's (RWS). I love RWS brass

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The great bears of the Americas are at least as dangerous as any other game on earth. The .300 magnums and the .338 mag are great all arounders for all North American game, including the bears in a controlled round feed turnbolt. But I wouldn't use a rimless double for buff or ele in Africa and I won't use a rimless double for any of the big bears in North America.

For a turnbolt, I would go .338 WM and not look back. It has the power to handle bears in thick cover and the flat trajectory to handle elk at long range. The 8x75RS looks like it could be for doubles what the .338 WM is for turnbolts.

In Africa the 9.3x62 is a better choice in turnbolts than the .338 WM just as the 9.3x74R is a better choice in doubles than the 8x75RS. Both of the 9.3's are as or more powerful within their range limitations than the .338 WM/8x75RS. I have never heard of game being hunted in Africa beyond the point blank range of the 9.3's. Additionally the 2 9.3's are legal for dangerous game in some African countries and the .338WM/8x75RS are not.

In North America medium and large game are regularly hunted beyond the point blank range of the 2 9.3's and here the 8x75RS's flatter trajectory is a definitive advantage. It's only problem is the lack of popularity and attendant difficulty finding ammo and brass. But no other rimmed cartridge that gives .338 WM like performance is any more popular or available.

So if a DR can be regulated well enough to take advantage of the 8x75RS's flatter trajectory then, to me, it sounds like a better North American mousetrap.

I know that if I get a 9.3x74R double, sooner or later I'll end up with a .338 takedown turnbolt too. If I go for a 8x75RS maybe I can do it all with one double for North America.

I've hunted deer since grade school but was in my mid 30's before I killed one at less than 225 yards. I'm use to rifles like .243's, .270's and .30-06's with flat trajectories.

Brazos Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
BJ

Have you found a source for 8x75RS ammo?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Isn't 8X57RS the same as 8X57JRS the same?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, he is talking about the 8x75RS [seventy five rimmed]. It is a fair amount more powerful than the 8x57R.

It approaches the 300 Mag/338 Mag in power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

Don't know of a source. I'm working in Saudi now and most gun related sites are blocked kingdom wide. I was hoping when I started this thread to hear from some who owned/used a 8x75RS rifle.

Worse case scenario, I can form from 9.3x74R brass.

Brazos Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stuff is readily available in Europe. If enough guys wanted a couple three boxes I'd bring it in and stock it...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I miss read.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!