New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single vs. Double Trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, if I've got this straight, this is what's available, specifically in .470NE:

Chapuis - DT
Heym - DT
K-Gun - DT
Merkel - ST or DT
VC - ST or DT
Sabatti - DT

Have I got that right?

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you can get any in an single trigger, if you want this and can pay this...
:-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ontario, If you are a single trigger fan, Will here has had his Krieghoff single trigger DR for sale for a while. They're pretty hard to find.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Ontario, If you are a single trigger fan, Will here has had his Krieghoff single trigger DR for sale for a while. They're pretty hard to find.

(and sell)

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

I'm not necessarily decided either way. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land. I don't know Will, but I assume he's in the U.S., and that pretty much rules it out for me. Privately importing firearms from the U.S. into Canada is a huge hassle.

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A guy from V-C said they didn't make single triggers. Maybe that has changed. Nor does Krieghoff ,ale a single trigger anymore. I've never seen a single trigger big bore Merkel.

Guys that pretend they don't have any use for single triggers have not much experience. Even John Taylor preferred them. And there ain't anybody around here that can pretend they're more experienced or knowledgeable than Taylor.

Good luck with your search.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
But then you can always go Westley Richards or Holland and Holland.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sabati make a very nice O7U with a single trigger. If had not already converted to a K gun I would have seriously considereda Sabati in 450/400 with identical safety and trigger to by Browning shotgun

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Sabati make a very nice O7U with a single trigger. If had not already converted to a K gun I would have seriously considereda Sabati in 450/400 with identical safety and trigger to by Browning shotgun

Ganyana, most all O/U double rifles are fitted with single triggers, if that is what you want but I would not go with Sabatti when there are so many vgery good O/U double rifles with single triggers that can be bought on the used market for not much more! I certainly would not trade a Krieghoff double rifle for anything Sabatti made. The Sabattis have proven to be hit and miss in regard to regulation methods used by Sabatti.

As anyone who knows me will tell you I'm certainly not a fan of single triggers on a double rifle used for dangerous game, and that I'm also not a fan of O/U double rifles used for that purpose either. However that is a personal thing with me, but carries some machinical reasons none-the-less.

If I did have to use a O/U double rifle it would be over .400 cal, and would be fitted with double triggers, and selective ejectors! The O/U double rifle is the only place where I consider selective ejectors a must. I say that because the O/U is slower than a S/S to re-load,in my experience. Adtionally most of the single triggers on double rifles are not selective single triggers.

This makes the rifle always fire the bottom barrel first. The bottom barrel being the slowest to re-load. At least with ejectors and a selective single trigger you can select to fire the top barrel first so it is easier to reload one barrel without fumbleing to get at the bottom case without dropping the load from the top barrel.

I have a O/U double rifle with a non-selective single trigger chambered for 9.3X74R, and it would be fine for deer hunting but I certainly wouldn't use it for dangerous game even if it were a 450NE that regulated well.

This rifle, like the Sabatti, does anything but regulate properly. I really got burned when I bought this rifle, but that is my fault as I should have insisted on a trial fireing before buying the rifle, and I didn't. I wouldn't use this rifle or a Sabatti if I had a choice, and I do have a choice!

As Jorge is fond of saying this may be "Picking fly shit out of the pepper!" but IMO some fly shit needs to be seperated from the black pepper before you use it! That's my take on this type, and brand of double rifle! If I were you I'd stick with the K-gun, and be happy!

All the above is nothing more than my opinion, and worth exactly the price you paid for it!

.......................... BOOM............ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bottom barrel being the slowest to re-load.

And the right barrel on a SxS will be slower to reload than the left barrel!

The "nitpicking" always, seems to me, to back people into a corner.

But as long as we have the nitpick out:

The extractor double's fired cases are typically flipped out or allowed to drop out from raising the barrels. That maneuver is by definition slower than ejectors.

Then add in the complication of firing only one barrel and ejecting that case. How is that accomplished? Holding on to the live round while flipping out the empty or raising the barrels? And that is going to be way slower than a selective ejector.

99.9999% of the hunters never get charged. I want to see the video of the guy trying to reload the one barrel in an honest to goodness dangerous game charge.

To me, there is no way one could justify extractors over ejectors. Smiler

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
The bottom barrel being the slowest to re-load.

And the right barrel on a SxS will be slower to reload than the left barrel!

No it isn't, but you are correct I should have said HARDER to reload than the bottom barrel, not quicker. I suppose that could be quicker as well! In this operation, however this has more to do with having to take your eyes off the target for too long, and because of the fumble factor.

quote:
The "nitpicking" always, seems to me, to back people into a corner.

But as long as we have the nitpick out:

The extractor double's fired cases are typically flipped out or allowed to drop out from raising the barrels. That maneuver is by definition slower than ejectors.

Again you are correct the ejector is faster than flipping out the cases or letting them fall out of the raised barrels. This is especially true of the re-loading of one fired barrel, because the rifle cannot be flipped with only one barrel being fired. That is evened out IOM by the quietness of the extractors over the ejectors when both barrels have been fired.

quote:
Then add in the complication of firing only one barrel and ejecting that case. How is that accomplished? Holding on to the live round while flipping out the empty or raising the barrels? And that is going to be way slower than a selective ejector.

99.9999% of the hunters never get charged. I want to see the video of the guy trying to reload the one barrel in an honest to goodness dangerous game charge.

Again you are correct if one tried to re-charge one barrel in the middle of a charge! I don't know anyone who would be that stupid. That re-charging of only one fired barrel only happens when one shot is fired and the shooter has to move to get another shot! As your friend and student John Taylor was fond of saying [BH]"if possible one should never let his rifle run dry!"[/B]

quote:
To me, there is no way one could justify extractors over ejectors. Smiler

Maybe not but many of the old Elephant hunters (POACHERS IN MOST CASES) preferred extractors, for elephant hunting, but then what did they know? I agree that it was more to be able to take more ivory before the eles decided where the danger was coming from and take off for the next country.

All good points Will, and all can be taken in several ways! For every down side there is an up side to everything, but the down, and up sides are what new double rifle buyers need to see both sides, giving them what they need to make their own choices. IOW, there is always another way to skin a lion! What ever works best for one may ruin the other's trophy!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote