THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    If they build it, people would but this.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If they build it, people would but this.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is late and I am bored and reading the threads of what would make a person purchase a double rifle so I am tossing out my ideas of what would be a perfect double for me to hunt with in North America. So here it comes:

A stainless steel SxS (O/U would be second choice) double rifle, double triggers, syn stock, quick detachable scope mount included with rifle, and in rimmed calibers ranging from .30 to .375. No engraving, no frills, and good quality iron sights.
Seeing how the Chapuis group buy prices for the UGEX is 4,200 I would think the absence of engraving and high quality wood could lower the price at least another $1,200?
If they build it, would people buy it? I would.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6637 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
It is late and I am bored and reading the threads of what would make a person purchase a double rifle so I am tossing out my ideas of what would be a perfect double for me to hunt with in North America. So here it comes:

A stainless steel SxS (O/U would be second choice) double rifle, double triggers, syn stock, quick detachable scope mount included with rifle, and in rimmed calibers ranging from .30 to .375. No engraving, no frills, and good quality iron sights.
Seeing how the Chapuis group buy prices for the UGEX is 4,200 I would think the absence of engraving and high quality wood could lower the price at least another $1,200?
If they build it, would people buy it? I would.

Snowwolfe ,Butch Searcy made exactly what you discribe back a few years, and only one or two were bought, so he discontinued them. Trouble is, he discontinued them just about the time I wanted to order one, in 375 Flanged Magnum, for hunting in Alaska's wet weather! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of the allure of the double rifle is the romance of hunting past. For me, nice wood, engraving and all the frills is the only way.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
What did the Searcy's sell for?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6637 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might buy it but you would probably be the only one.you will note how the sales of these mongrel ss / synthetic stock rifles have eliminated the demand for real rifles with blue metalwork and attractive wood stocks.

not only would it be ugly, it would be a shame to do to any kind of double rifle.

maybebeing in the cold has had an affect on you ?

ps - the base model chapuis with extractors and 2 a wood is $3,800. they will leave the engraving off but won't discount the rice for it. you must remember they are french.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
you might buy it but you would probably be the only one.you will note how the sales of these mongrel ss / synthetic stock rifles have eliminated the demand for real rifles with blue metalwork and attractive wood stocks.

not only would it be ugly, it would be a shame to do to any kind of double rifle.

maybebeing in the cold has had an affect on you ?

ps - the base model chapuis with extractors and 2 a wood is $3,800. they will leave the engraving off but won't discount the rice for it. you must remember they are french.

Nope it is $4,200 this time around, trust me I ordered one.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I THINK YOU ARE IN FOR A PLEASANT SURPRISE.

YOU MAY BE GETTING AN EJECTOR RIFLE WITH BETTER WOOD - AAA

THE UGEX -EJECTOR - MODEL WITH 3 AAA WOOD IS $4,250 BASED ON 20% OFF LIST PRICE OF $5,103

THE BASE MODEL UGEX - 2 AA WOOD AND EXTRACTORS
IS $$3,788 BASED ON 20 % OFF LIST PRICE OF $4,734

PLS CHECK - I AM NOT REAL GOOD WITH THIS NEW MATH..... BUT DALE CAN CONFIRM. I AM GOING ON THE BASIS OF THE 2/24/2006 PUBLISHED PRICE LIST

ONLY EXCEPTION IS COST OF A 30-06 IS MORE BY ABOUT $358.00

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT FREIGHT ,EXCISE TAXES ETC, BUT IN LOOKING OVER MY NOTES FROM DALE THE PRICES I HAVE ARE

$3788 FOR THE EXTRACTOR MODEL

$4250 FOR THE EJECTOR MODEL

$5,093 FOR RGEX MODEL - I ORDERED THIS ONE

$6,000 FOR SIDEPLATED REX MODEL

THE 30-06 COSTS MORE

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"THE UGEX -EJECTOR - MODEL WITH 3 AAA WOOD IS $4,250 BASED ON 20% OFF LIST PRICE OF $5,103"

My math says that 20% off $5,103 equals $4,082.

So why did we pay $4,250?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac,
What did the Searcy's sell for?

If I remember correctly, they sold for around $8K, but that was back in the 1980s. The last one of them I saw for sale, was priced at $15K, and it didn't last ten days on the internet. they are so rare they are colector items today!

There was one at the DSC show about five yrs ago, that belonged to a PH from Africa. It was for sale, and the tag was $15K as well. Since only three or four were made, I doubt you could find one for sale today, and if you did, it would likely be in the $20K range today! Eeker

Too bad he had to discontinue them because I'd really like to have one of them for Alaska! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"THE UGEX -EJECTOR - MODEL WITH 3 AAA WOOD IS $4,250 BASED ON 20% OFF LIST PRICE OF $5,103"

My math says that 20% off $5,103 equals $4,082.

So why did we pay $4,250?

Anyone in the know care to comment?