THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Reloading help with .500 NE reloads with 970-grain cast bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading help with .500 NE reloads with 970-grain cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently purchased some 970-grain cast bullets for my .500 NE. However, I have no idea where to start with a load for these bullets. I have been reloading 550-grain cast bullets for awhile with good results using 40-60 grains of AA5744. I do not know what to use for a starting load with the 970-grain bullets? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Do you really mean 970 grains? Or do you mean 570 grains?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really mean 970 grains (you mentioned that weight twice)...I don't think that would be good idea. I can't imagine that it would stabilize in a standard 1 in 15" twist, let alone regulate. Also, that kind increase in bullet weight runs up pressures fast.
----------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
970 GRAINS !!!!! shocker Eeker shocker

That got everybody's attention!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
970 GRAINS !!!!! shocker Eeker shocker

That got everybody's attention!

jumping jumping jumping

It certainly got mine! bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I mean 970-grain cast bullets for a .500 NE! Check out Ranger Rick's Bullets in Homer Alaska at http://www.lsstuff.com/ranger-rick/

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't even consider it, for the reasons given. Wouldn't be worth the risk due to unknown pressure alone.
-------------------------------------

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
By 400 Nitro Express
Wouldn't even consider it, for the reasons given. Wouldn't be worth the risk due to unknown pressure alone.

Nor I.

I take it Mr. 500strait is new to loading for double rifles, if that is what he has chambered for 500NE ! Big Grin
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes shocker

......... diggin....... BOOM

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
STAND BACK GENTLEMEN! ONE PULL ON THE FRONT TRIGGER, AND THIS COULD GET UGLY!!!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Yikes! My idea would be to drill a hole in each, and use them for cod fishing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you become a "master" bullet caster? I've cast thousands upon thousands of them, maybe i'm already there??? lol

Personally, i never could stomache those cod out of Cook Inlet! There's some mighty fine halibut in there though! I always use a 2 pound weight, when i fish them though.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ranger Rick says they are .512-caliber and 975-grain, not 970-grain. An FNGC. Flat Nose Gas Check.
He does not say much else about them, eh?

A 50-cal/975-grain cast lead bullet is certainly goofy ... unless it is meant for use in a 50BMG, just to get velocities down to prevent leading problems.
For 50BMG plinking purposes?
At about 2200 fps?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
These would be great in a 500 Whisper or some such 975Gr Sub Sonic , very quite Buffalo shooting ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come now, those bullets would bounce off a cape buffalo at subsonic velocity.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys,

I know that these bullets are certainly an oddity. I have been reloading cast bullets for some time now and ALWAYS reload by an well-documented recipe. I just thought they would be a great conversation piece at the range. How many of you have ever pulled the trigger with a 975-grain slug in the tube? I will keep looking for information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Straight:

I get where you're coming from. Since the .500 NE is primarily a double rifle round, pressure tested load data for bullets not relatively close to the standard 570 grain weight, especially those significantly heavier, is hard to come by, as they're unlikely to stabilize or regulate. Since conventional pressure signs can't be relied on to keep you out of trouble when loading for a large bore flanged nitro double to begin with, you're blind without pressure tested data. Not a place you want to be with a double rifle. The novelty really isn't worth the risk.
-----------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500straight:
OK guys,
How many of you have ever pulled the trigger with a 975-grain slug in the tube? I will keep looking for information.

I do it all the time.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
RIP , I don't think they would bounce off , I have shot Water Buffalo , Bantang , Wild Cattle & Donkeys with Sub Sonic 45/70 and 500Gr cast bullets ! not saying this is the way to go as I got the shit stomped out of me by a Bantang Bull when I messed up and could not stop a charge (Big suprise , not really ).
Gatsby , now thats a rifle er gun , well it's beauiful for sure !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just thought they would be a great conversation piece at the range.

BINGO!

"I don't care if it might screw up my gun and cost me $1000s of dollars to fix, my pecker is bigger than yours..."

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatsby, that is all class. I like the headstamp too, a nice touch!

500S, I'd listen to 400NE, he knows what he speaks of. Also, I think the barrel time alone would make it hit wide of the aimpoint every time. I'd just have fun with those "little" 500-600 grain cast bullets and call it good.

Bob

BTW, I spent my 4 years at your current location back in the day. Wink

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote