Find
Notify
Tools

Unidentified Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted
Okay you double rifle gods, I need to identify this rifle that came into a friend of mine. It's chambered in 8 x 57J. It's of German dissent. Please help me figure out what this thing is so I can find out what this things works.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It looks like you'd push the underlever forward to open it. Interesting set up.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That's an odd duck, eh?

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
It looks like you'd push the underlever forward to open it. Interesting set up.

It swings! I'm hoping Cal knows!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I bet you'll have better luck at the doublegunshop.com forum. They like German oddities!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique for sure! I've seen similar designs before. I may have a book that has several in it, I'll see what I can find.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friedrich Stendebach...I presume.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yep, Stenda Werke Underlever Snap Action from Germany back in the day.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaman11:
Okay you double rifle gods, I need to identify this rifle that came into a friend of mine. It's chambered in 8 x 57J. It's of German dissent. Please help me figure out what this thing is so I can find out what this things works.

Alaskaman11, is the rifle chambered for 8X47JR {.318}or JS {.323}? This could help to age the rifle.

As a rule most German made doubles are very well regulated, and most designs are overly strong. The designs are aimed at strength and efficiency, but there seems to be no effort to make them pretty, at least to the non-Germanic eye!

I would bet this rifle is very strong, and with proper loads very accurate! I have owned many German made firearms and have never had one that didn't work perfectly, regardless of their looks!

I would love to experiment with that rifle, and really study it's make up!

Please tell your friend to try to avoid modifying this rifle in any way, because it is a fine example of fitting and design.

.................................................................. tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It must have markings on the frame and under the barrels. German DRs are well regulated? Not the 1924 Greifelt that I once owned in the 80s. It would not put two barrels within a foot of one another.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It must have markings on the frame and under the barrels. German DRs are well regulated? Not the 1924 Greifelt that I once owned in the 80s. It would not put two barrels within a foot of one another.

If that rifle was very old that is common, because the old loads they were regulated with developed more or less recoil and velocity than any new load book would indicated. The original powder, and primers being far different than any modern powder it takes a lot of experimentation to find the right powder, load, and bullet weight and shape that works.

Many give up in frustration, before they find the sweet spot. Of course it could be that some PLUMBER who thought he was a gunsmith tried to re-regulate it. In that case the only fix is to re-regulate it properly.

This is not only on vantage German doubles, and applies equally to fine English doubles as well.

About the only vintage German doubles in the USA were brought back from WWII as war souvenirs, and most of the GIs who brought them back had absolutely no idea what they were chambered for, and many have had the barrels reamed out, and chambered for shot gun shells, turning fine double rifles to mediocre shotguns. What a waste.

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1144 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaman11:

Alaskaman11, is the rifle chambered for 8X47JR {.318}or JS {.323}? This could help to age the rifle.

As a rule most German made doubles are very well regulated, and most designs are overly strong. The designs are aimed at strength and efficiency, but there seems to be no effort to make them pretty, at least to the non-Germanic eye!

I would bet this rifle is very strong, and with proper loads very accurate! I have owned many German made firearms and have never had one that didn't work perfectly, regardless of their looks!

I would love to experiment with that rifle, and really study it's make up!

Please tell your friend to try to avoid modifying this rifle in any way, because it is a fine example of fitting and design.

.................................................................. tu2

It's a 8x57 JS, I stopped off and took a look today!

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Too bad!
I've got almost a full case of 8X57 JR here.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Rifle was made by Stendebach. A mate has one in 8x57r.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Rifle was made by Stendebach. A mate has one in 8x57r.
Cal

What years were they produced?

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Too bad!
I've got almost a full case of 8X57 JR here.

What brand is the ammo, and are you interested in selling it?

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Your PM is answered Mac.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an article in the Double Gun Journal winter 2001, volume twelve, issue 4. "Two Unusual German Double Rifles" by Fredich Franzen. The article shows 2 diffent guns with one using the Stendebach system & may be of great help in your identification & history.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
Something new today on this unusual rifle, it turns out, its not 8x57, its chambered in 303 British. Its now for sale at Great Northern Guns. We think its made between 1905 to 1914. I think its a real cool Rifle.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member