One of Us
posted
I called L E Wilson to ask about the case trimmer. I asked about

rimmed brass of 3.5" and 3.25". I was told the 3.5" would need

to be done on the 50 BMG sized trimmer and MY cal would need

a specially made case holder for $22.00. This trimmer uses NO

pilot nor collet. How does it stack up in the trimming mix. I can't

justify to myself spending $170 on a new RCBS trim die. Maybe a

$70 trim die from CH 4D. OPINIONS SOUGHT!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I have a Wilson that I use for several different calibers including my Lott. I like it. I own three trimmers and recently sold two others and it is currently my favorite. I also use it to chamfer the inside of the neck.
Mine is not the fifty caliber model so I use a trim die for my 470.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Have never used the Wilson stuff, but they have a strong following in the BR world.

Have you looked at the Forster "Classic"...

mine has been working well on the big nitros for several years now. I do wish I could chamfer cases with it though.

For the cost of an RCBS trim-die, you can buy a couple of the Forsters.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I love the wilson and have tried them all. I would look at the stand avalable from sinclair with the quick detach holder option. It is the quickest and most precise trimmer I have ever used and does not need the pilot on the trimmer head. You also do not need to clamp the case head in a collet of any kind.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Have never used the Wilson stuff, but they have a strong following in the BR world.

Have you looked at the Forster "Classic"...

mine has been working well on the big nitros for several years now. I do wish I could chamfer cases with it though.

For the cost of an RCBS trim-die, you can buy a couple of the Forsters.

I am comparing the Forster Classic and the Wilson right now. 400NitroExpress

recommends the Forster Classic. It DOES use PILOTS and COLLETS. As I said above

the WILSON uses neither, but uses a specific type of shell holder which costs $22

for each of our types of calibers. I am having a tough time choosing because very

knowledgable people are advocates of different things. One man says use a trim die,

another says NO WAY for that, use the FORSTER, another guy says L.E. WILSON is
the TOPS. Ugghh...
Confused bewildered Confused

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Forester for "normal" stuff.

I use a Wilson for my target ammo, and I use the RCBS Trim dies for my big bore doubles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

I use a Wilson for my target ammo, and I use the RCBS Trim dies for my big bore doubles.

AND SOME GUYS USE ALL THREE!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Eeker shocker Eeker

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For you guys who use the Forster, What collet do you use for the 450 NE 3 1/4?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Have you been peaking in my reloading room? Same here except if I shoot alot of highpower I breakk out the Gracey trimmer.

I really do like the Wilson.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a trim die for the big calibers and a Wilson for my 222Rem and 6mmBR brass. It is very precise and takes off very little brass with each turn. Ideal for accuracy of 1 thou. but I don't need that for my 450x 3 1/4!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Forester trimmer too, but if i have something really big, odd or a lot to take off when case forming, i have been known to use my lathe too,

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:

I am comparing the Forster Classic and the Wilson right now. 400NitroExpress

recommends the Forster Classic. It DOES use PILOTS and COLLETS. As I said above

the WILSON uses neither, but uses a specific type of shell holder which costs $22

for each of our types of calibers. I am having a tough time choosing because very

knowledgable people are advocates of different things. One man says use a trim die,

another says NO WAY for that, use the FORSTER, another guy says L.E. WILSON is
the TOPS. UgghhConfused bewildered Confused

Any and all are going to work fine for you. I have nothing against the trim die, but - as I said - for the cost of one good trim die, I can buy a good trimmer and all the collets and pilots I need... or a complete second trimmer.

Like most of us, you'll probably end up buying a couple before you find the one YOU like best.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947