New
Find
Notify
Tools

DRSS Membership
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure I would join any group that would have me as a member, but wondering if this would qualify me?

Yeah, it's .45/70 but I don't expect to point it at anything bigger than a black bear.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10508 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
You are in!

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
Not sure I would join any group that would have me as a member, but wondering if this would qualify me?

Yeah, it's .45/70 but I don't expect to point it at anything bigger than a black bear.

Certainly
Your a Light Colonel Wink sofa

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:

Certainly

As far as I'm concerned you are in DRSS! All one has to do to be a DRSS member is have a love for double rifles. As long as it has two barrels chambered for a rifle cartridge from .22 lr to 600NE it is still a double rifle, and is your ticket in the DRSS group!

…………………………………………………………….. old Welcome!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
You are in & with style tu2 let us know how she shoots?

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice set. Be interested how it shoots.

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Nice set. Be interested how it shoots.

I'm guessing it was regulated with the government load so I'll try that first. If I have to get it regulated there's a fairly mild 300 grain factory load that would be entirely adequate.

Posts: 10508 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Jeffive,
Very nice package and we will all be interested to read your range report.

This Beretta .45-70 of mine was regulated with 300 grain bullets at 1,545 fps and it kills 300 pound boars just fine:

If you decide to reload, I can share load details with you.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Jeffive,

This Beretta .45-70 of mine was regulated with 300 grain bullets at 1,545 fps and it kills 300 pound boars just fine:

I'll feed it factory ammo, if necessary after JJ does some magic.

I might be wrong but I think I got a pretty good buy at $4k, mostly because it was towards the bottom of the guns they sold today price-wise. Lots of them went over $50k and more than a few made $100k+. Some really tempting stuff sold under $5k, including a couple of 4 bores. I'm not even going to watch tomorrow, I'd probably end up with another one or two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Jeffive,

I'll feed it factory ammo, if necessary after JJ does some magic.

I might be wrong but I think I got a pretty good buy at $4k, mostly because it was towards the bottom of the guns they sold today price-wise. Lots of them went over $50k and more than a few made $100k+. Some really tempting stuff sold under $5k, including a couple of 4 bores. I'm not even going to watch tomorrow, I'd probably end up with another one or two.

A fancier rifle by the same maker here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jefffive,
My reloading bench is only 75 yards from the 50 yard shooting table. If you live close to Cookeville or Crossville your welcome to come over and experiment to get her dialed in.
Beautiful rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You both are invited to my farm. I cook dinner and go put on the back 9 and blast away.

Posts: 12206 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm liable to take you both up on those offers, all I know about doubles I learned reading the old hunting classics and from this site. This one I just couldn't pass up at that price. I'd prefer shooting with a scope but don't know if I can bring myself to alter it.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Your 45-70 is a fine double. I'm sure it will be blooded soon. Good luck and congratulations on a fine purchase.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:

Certainly

As far as I'm concerned you are in DRSS! All one has to do to be a DRSS member is have a love for double rifles. As long as it has two barrels chambered for a rifle cartridge from .22 lr to 600NE it is still a double rifle, and is your ticket in the DRSS group!

…………………………………………………………….. old Welcome!

was just pullin the newbies leg a tad, Mac
of course he is welcome
now the O/U dr guys Roll Eyes

dancing

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love em for sure!

Not putting the tag in my signature line till I own one though!

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm liable to take you both up on those offers, all I know about doubles I learned reading the old hunting classics and from this site. This one I just couldn't pass up at that price. I'd prefer shooting with a scope but don't know if I can bring myself to alter it.

I just saw this. Please do. I am off I75 in the last county before you hit TN. I can meet you off an interstate exit and guide you in. GPS does not work off the interstate around here.

Just shot my 500 yesterday.

Posts: 12206 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got it to the range yesterday, regulates fine with HSM 405 grain loads at 1300 fps, ordered some Steinel 300 grain loads that get 1485 out of an 18.5 inch barrel, should be in the 1550 range out of my 28s. Going to have to get used to shooting with iron sights again, been a long time. Can only keep them in about 6" at 100 yards but will hopefully get better with practice, yesterday was the first time I ever shot a double; won't be the last.

For some reason I was expecting the back trigger to fire the right barrel.