Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with technical paper
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for info and pictures on the manufacture of a double rifle.

The reason I ask is that I am doing a technical report, and I would like to do one on double rifles.

Some of the info I am looking for is type(s) of steel used for the action, any type of heat treating used on the action, how the action is machined from billet, whether it is wire EDM cut, or with conventional milling techniques. I would also need info and pictures of how the barrels are attached to the monoblock, and how they are regulated. During regulation, I believe they are held together with wire, but I would need a few good pics of the process.

I already have, or I can get the needed information on the different types of actions, so that is not needed.

I ahve been to the Heym site, which was great, but the photos are protected, and didn't offer any specifics.

Suggestions to a few websites would be greatly appreciated. I have looked briefly, but was unsuccessful, except for the Heym site.

It is for a techincal report for a college class, so the info would never be published. Any pictures would just be illustrations in the report, and not used for any other purpose.

I greatly appreciate your help. I have gotten the OK for a report on firearms, as long as it included the manufacturing process. I can't think of anything more interesting than double rifles, so as long I as I can gather enough information, I'll be golden.

Smith

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Look at Chapuis's site. They are supposed to show a video of their builds. But I haven't looked at it yet so I can't tell you how much detail they show.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
join, for free, www.nitroexpress.com - there is a forum for discussions on building DRs.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
missmy416 -

I assume you're referring to the HEYM photos on this page below:

http://www.heymusa.com/heym_tech.htm

Just let me know which ones you want, and I'll email them to you.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the Heat Treating process,
Have a look at (I think) Turnbull's
site in the US.

One of the US based posters might be able
to be more specific.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote